#1  
Old 28-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,311
Mono Processing advice please

Hi folks, may I ask for some mono processing workflow advice please...

I'm new to my mono camera and to take advantage of a rare clear night in Melbourne, I chose to speed up the capture series and did some binning x 2 on my RG&B data last night but kept the Ha and O3 full size.

To preprocess the files and reconstruct the image - do I need to take bin x 2 darks & flats for those or can I use the full size darks & flats that I have already taken?

I have taken flats (& dark flats & darks) for all 7 filters bin x 1 already.

I use Nebulosity 3.0 on a mac.

I'm hoping to attempt the Strongman Mike HaO3RGB combination
by blending the OIII data with the blue and green and the Ha with the red and the Blue then use a hybrid Lum made with The OIII and Ha.

But first I need to preprocess the images and Nebulosity stopped when it picked up the size mismatch between the binx1 and binx2 files.

... all advice and suggested tutorials or directions to webpages welcome.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by Andy01; 28-11-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Joshua Bunn's Avatar
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)
Registered User

Joshua Bunn is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Albany, Western Australia
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
To preprocess the files and reconstruct the image - do I need to take bin x 2 darks & flats for those or can I use the full size darks & flats that I have already taken?
HI Andy,
It is best practice to bin the darks and flats 2x2 to match the images.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Geoff45's Avatar
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Geoff45 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,414
Hi Andy. Definitely match the darks to the binning of the subs. As far as flats are concerned you have to be aware of the fact that flats correct three things--vignetting, dust bunnies and pixel to pixel variation in QE (usually <1%). Flats that don't match the binning of the lights will correct vignetting and dust bunnies but not QE variation.
Geoff
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Shiraz's Avatar
Shiraz (Ray)
Registered User

Shiraz is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ardrossan south australia
Posts: 4,787
Nebulosity has a software binning function that is identical in effect to the hardware binning that you have used for the RGB data. Just software bin everything (cal and NB) that is 1x1 to get it to 2x2 and you can then apply it directly to your binned RGB. Have done this and it works fine.

If you then wish to reclaim some of the resolution / scale lost in binning, try drizzle stacking.

Last edited by Shiraz; 30-11-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Andy01's Avatar
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Andy01 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
HI Andy,
It is best practice to bin the darks and flats 2x2 to match the images.
Thanks Joshua - I've done that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsmith45 View Post
Hi Andy. Definitely match the darks to the binning of the subs. As far as flats are concerned you have to be aware of the fact that flats correct three things--vignetting, dust bunnies and pixel to pixel variation in QE (usually <1%). Flats that don't match the binning of the lights will correct vignetting and dust bunnies but not QE variation.
Geoff
Good point Geoff - all done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
Nebulosity has a software binning function that is identical in effect to the hardware binning that you have used for the RGB data. Just software bin everything (cal and NB) that is 1x1 to get it to 2x2 and you can then apply it directly to your binned RGB. Have done this and it works fine.

If you then wish to reclaim some of the resolution / scale lost in binning, try drizzle stacking.
Thanks Ray - will try that out!

Cheers everyone, appreciate the input and advice
Andy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 09:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Celestron Australia
Advertisement
NexDome Observatories
Advertisement
SkyWatcher Australia
Advertisement
Meade Australia
Advertisement
OzScopes Authorised Dealer
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement