Old 28-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Mono Processing advice please

Hi folks, may I ask for some mono processing workflow advice please...

I'm new to my mono camera and to take advantage of a rare clear night in Melbourne, I chose to speed up the capture series and did some binning x 2 on my RG&B data last night but kept the Ha and O3 full size.

To preprocess the files and reconstruct the image - do I need to take bin x 2 darks & flats for those or can I use the full size darks & flats that I have already taken?

I have taken flats (& dark flats & darks) for all 7 filters bin x 1 already.

I use Nebulosity 3.0 on a mac.

I'm hoping to attempt the Strongman Mike HaO3RGB combination
by blending the OIII data with the blue and green and the Ha with the red and the Blue then use a hybrid Lum made with The OIII and Ha.

But first I need to preprocess the images and Nebulosity stopped when it picked up the size mismatch between the binx1 and binx2 files.

... all advice and suggested tutorials or directions to webpages welcome.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by Andy01; 28-11-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo!
Old 29-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
To preprocess the files and reconstruct the image - do I need to take bin x 2 darks & flats for those or can I use the full size darks & flats that I have already taken?
HI Andy,
It is best practice to bin the darks and flats 2x2 to match the images.
Old 29-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Hi Andy. Definitely match the darks to the binning of the subs. As far as flats are concerned you have to be aware of the fact that flats correct three things--vignetting, dust bunnies and pixel to pixel variation in QE (usually <1%). Flats that don't match the binning of the lights will correct vignetting and dust bunnies but not QE variation.
Geoff
Old 29-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Nebulosity has a software binning function that is identical in effect to the hardware binning that you have used for the RGB data. Just software bin everything (cal and NB) that is 1x1 to get it to 2x2 and you can then apply it directly to your binned RGB. Have done this and it works fine.

If you then wish to reclaim some of the resolution / scale lost in binning, try drizzle stacking.

Last edited by Shiraz; 30-11-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
HI Andy,
It is best practice to bin the darks and flats 2x2 to match the images.
Thanks Joshua - I've done that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsmith45 View Post
Hi Andy. Definitely match the darks to the binning of the subs. As far as flats are concerned you have to be aware of the fact that flats correct three things--vignetting, dust bunnies and pixel to pixel variation in QE (usually <1%). Flats that don't match the binning of the lights will correct vignetting and dust bunnies but not QE variation.
Geoff
Good point Geoff - all done now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
Nebulosity has a software binning function that is identical in effect to the hardware binning that you have used for the RGB data. Just software bin everything (cal and NB) that is 1x1 to get it to 2x2 and you can then apply it directly to your binned RGB. Have done this and it works fine.

If you then wish to reclaim some of the resolution / scale lost in binning, try drizzle stacking.
Thanks Ray - will try that out!

Cheers everyone, appreciate the input and advice
Andy