Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 AM
snappycow (Riley)

Ok folks - we're going to go with a voucher. But we have a $1350 budget and I've looked at BINTEL's website and aren't sure this is the best option for a voucher for our price range so just curious as to thoughts?

Also, I just learned a little more from a sibling. Our intended recipient would really enjoy a scope that can help him track sun spots as well as being able to look at things more clearly as he's a long time ham radio operator and apparently likes to track the sun spots regarding the interference etc that they create in relation to his ham radio as well.

Thus as stated, do you think BINTEL would be the best place for a voucher or can you recommend a better option with the money we have raised? I realise there's a varied opinion on all of these but am curious as to thoughts.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Riley,

There are two different types of viewing the sun, one is with a dedicated solar telescope, which is expensive and is only for the sun. The other is with a solar filter that goes over the front of a 'normal' telescope. This second option will clearly show sunspots in great detail, but not the other solar features that are visible in a dedicated solar telescope, but the telescope can then be used for stellar objects as well.

With the voucher you are giving him, I'm sure he will be able to make up his mind which way he would like to go with things.

Bintel, you cannot go wrong with them,

Alex.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:45 AM
snappycow (Riley)

It sounds like a solar filter is probably the better way to go for him then, I'd wager. Well at least, as you say though - it's ultimately something he can decide for himself so I'm glad we won't have to make the call but let him decide which is more useful to him for his needs/enjoyment.

Sounds like Bintel is the go!

Many thanks indeed! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Riley,

There are two different types of viewing the sun, one is with a dedicated solar telescope, which is expensive and is only for the sun. The other is with a solar filter that goes over the front of a 'normal' telescope. This second option will clearly show sunspots in great detail, but not the other solar features that are visible in a dedicated solar telescope, but the telescope can then be used for stellar objects as well.

With the voucher you are giving him, I'm sure he will be able to make up his mind which way he would like to go with things.

Bintel, you cannot go wrong with them,

Alex.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:36 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Congratulations on the decision to go with the Voucher.

I'm sure this will work out best for you and your relative especially if you add the surprise twist into the store visit :-)

I have no allegiance to Bintel but they have been around a long time and seem to be very reputable suppliers that do not appear to make exaggerated claims about their products.

They will definitely have all your options covered. A quick look at their website shows that they have several different types of complete systems around your price range and you may be able to negotiate a better deal than the listed prices.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Fox

You've made an excellent decision regarding the voucher, Bintel will look after you. Advice for what it's worth, take as loooong as you like before making your choice. They have the full range from entry scopes to skies the limit (no pun intended). With that amount of $ you can get a nice refractor, an excellent and large reflector, and if your recipient is willing to throw in a bit more you could go into the range of an automated 8 inch SCT. As everyone has emphasized above, each telescope type has it own pros and cons, thus making it a very personal decision as to what takes the fancy of any one person. Think of it like clothes shopping in a way.

Cheers, Fox.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:59 PM
TheFacelessMen (Rob)

would love to read about the surprise and the final outcome of this :-)
Old 27-09-2014, 10:27 PM
snappycow (Riley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFacelessMen View Post
would love to read about the surprise and the final outcome of this :-)

We gave dad a voucher tonight at Bintel for $1000. He was very surprised and elated and is looking forward immensely to visiting the store and selecting an appropriate telescope for his needs.

I've also encouraged him to join this forum as everyone has been so tremendously helpful, kind and encouraging.'

Thank you all so much!!
Old 27-09-2014, 10:27 PM
snappycow (Riley)

Hi all - We gave dad a voucher tonight at Bintel for $1000. He was very surprised and elated and is looking forward immensely to visiting the store and selecting an appropriate telescope for his needs.

I've also encouraged him to join this forum as everyone has been so tremendously helpful, kind and encouraging.'

Thank you all so much!!
Old 28-09-2014, 07:02 AM
issdaol (Phil)

Awesome :-) I bet he was stoked :-)

Let us know what he ends up getting
Old 28-09-2014, 08:08 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

yeah ,, what Phil said