Old 05-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Jaybee (John)

Ooh..just realised that I'm the 1000th poster!! do I get a prize?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:09 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Errrr.....NO!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOST View Post
Hi guys,

Just got a few questions regarding how to become an astronomer.

Apart from reading materials off the net and from magazines, I'm looking to do some studing and getting some qualifications but I have no idea where to start or how to get there.

What are some things I can do to gain more knowledge or prepare myself before I really get into trying to do some courses?

Cheers
Hi Jason, how much study are you prepared to do?? What do you want from it?? Do you want to do part time or full time study??. Internal or external?? Lots of questions

As for me, I'm doing my Masters degree in astronomy at JCU. Lots of hard work, but it's rewarding. You can also do Grad Certificate and Grad Diploma courses as well, if you don't want to go full on doing a degree. I finish at the end of the year...if I do well enough I may go onto a PhD. Be doing it on exoplanets (most likely the formation of terrestrial planets, Earth like worlds and their subsequent habitability), if I manage to do OK .
Old 14-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Ritchie-l (Ritchie)

horror

some will gasp in horror, but I have had a few ideas, tried a few as well but not to the point of no return.
I have an 8" dobs, have been told not suitable for astro-photography. (Definitely the wrong thing to say to me)
you see, I am curious and like to prove things or apologize.
now some out there would say OK you can take pick of the moon.
and I will say right back the Orion nebula is not on the moon.
and I have pics that I have done through my 8" dob.
now me not being happy with just this I have been thinking and racking my brain for a few months now, and think I have come up with a solution to track.
firstly a concreted area in the back yard looks great to me.
the idea is, I polar align the drum and get the vertical axis correct. then tilt the drum so that the polar alignment is now horizontal, then fill the drum with concrete.
then the result when it is dried, and I stand it back up to its position, is a platform that needs a motorized base on the dobs to sit there, and tracking should be possible.
I do realize that there are going to be a few more mods along the way but, lets experiment here.
any other ideas would be helpfull.

Ritchie
Old 19-06-2010, 05:47 PM
pjb009 (Phil)

Hi all,

I am a newby.
I have a new(2nd hand) EQ5 starwatcher mount with a Newt 114mm. I went and grabbed a some charts and a planesphere thingemy gig. Got myself a 2 dollar red light and the cheapest AC to DC converter I could find which was 40 bucks. So all up I have started up for about 600 and now I feel like the fish in the plastic bag at the end of "Finding Nemo"....."Now What". My mind is an empty white board. So I guess the main thing to begin with is take my time and just try to learn some stars and orientate myself over the next six months. Well thats my plan so far.
Old 18-07-2010, 05:10 PM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

Hi everyone,

I actually joined up with Ice in Space about a year ago but I've been really slack so I thought I'd post here again. I've been thinking about getting serious about astronomy again lately, it just excites me so much and I'm so inspired to get out there and view as much as possible (even if my backyard is scary and filled with creatures trudging through long grass that sound like heavy footsteps...)

On Thursday night I had my first look through my friend's 10" Dob and it was UNBELIEVABLE! Experiencing that made me realise just how phenomenal the night sky is and that I definitely want to do a lot more stargazing in the future! I didn't even care that it was freezing cold and that my neck was sore, I was just in awe. We managed to see Omega Centauri, M6, the coathanger, the Ring nebula and Jupiter rose just when we were about to pack up so we had a peak and saw Jupiter and four of its moons. Now I'm pretty set on getting a telescope of my own!

I just ordered the Astronomy 2010 Australia: Your Guide to the Night Sky and intend on getting a planisphere this week but til then I've just been using Stellarium and scanning the night sky with my Dad's 10x50 Olympus binoculars and so far I've managed to see M6 and what I think was the Cru cluster in the Crux constellation but there is so much out there it can get a bit confusing as to what's what!

Anyway, I've ranted enough, I'm sure I'll be posting frequently now with all my newby questions so watch out!

Last edited by shelltree; 22-07-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:29 PM
NebraskaSky (Michelle)

Hi all,

I'm new to Ice in Space. I live in the Lake Macquarie area and I am a politics/law student. When it comes to astronomy I'm a beginner but I would love to become more involved.

If I ever get elected to public office in this country—at any level of government—one of my policy areas will definitely be dedicated to reviving interest in astronomy within the community and among young people like myself. I think that astronomy is capable of creating solidarity among human beings because it is something that transcends age, culture, religion, gender, etc. and it is something that everybody should be able to explore and enjoy.

Michelle

Last edited by NebraskaSky; 08-08-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Sedusa (Sed)

Star maps - libra

hi there,

I'm looking for a star map - online - looking for Gliese 581 in Libra.

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

What Googling have you done, Sed? Does this help? http://www.allthesky.com/constellations/lib35.html Turn the labels on.
Old 15-08-2010, 08:58 AM
NickontheCoast

Flare?

SO there I am observing and see a flare shaped object about where M5 should be....

It's bird shaped and is shaped as if it is heading away from a bright object..which when I look closer is moving - satellite?

The object and its flare companion continued to move through the western sky ascending west to north - visible to the naked eye.

Any pics I have seen of iridium flares give them a torpedo shape - this flare was very spread out but certainly attached to the other bright object.

An iridium fare or similar??
Old 17-08-2010, 09:33 PM
newastro (Robbo)

G'day felloAstronomers,
I have recently purchased a new EQ5 mount with GO-To and 6" tube. All skywatcher products. For the moment at least I'm not saying which business I bought the scope from, but I would like some advice as what I asked for wasn't what I got in the box.
I was originally after a 6-8" Dob which was skywatcher sw580 or 680. But my interests are in astro photography, so I ended up getting the go-to, no problems. So I got the mount and seperate tube. When I e-mailed the guy I kept refering to the sw580 as the tube I wanted with 10mm and 20mm eyepieces. with 1000mm focal length.
What I got was Black Diamond 750mm tube with 28mm wide angle lens.. When I asked if I got a mix up tube the guy said he was doing me a favour by taking out other 2 lenses and giving me the better Black Diamond tube.
Could someone tell me if the tube is better than sw580 or the same seeing as though they are both skywatcher. I was wanting 1000mm length. And I appreciate the wide angle lens for photograpghy but I have no zoom for normal viewing. As a matter of fact my 6x zoom digi camera got closer results than scope.
Sorry about lengthy piece but that's as good as I could explain the situation. I have a feeling the sw580 isn't available without dob mount but would have liked an explanation rather than something turn up that I didn't pay for. Please get back to me. Thanks for your time.
Newastro. ps replies can also e-mail to; rwironman@hotmail.comw
Old 05-09-2010, 11:03 AM
henzbelmont (Henz)

Hi, I am new to telescope purchase. Can anybody help me out in getting familiar with the technical stuff I have to know about all this thing? online pokie games

Last edited by henzbelmont; 06-09-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 13-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Brent (Brent)

hello everyone

I'm Brent from SE Qld i have been keen on Astronomy for a few years, now having purchased a telescope just a couple of months back there is not a clear night I don't spend in my backyard. I managed to purchase my scope at a clearance sale, I got a Celestron C8NGT Newtonian on a CG-5 german equitorial mount. I'm just now getting the hang of polar alignment however one problem i have is the mount won't allow me to adjust to 27 degrees the latitude for my area (28 is the lowest it goes) i have started adjusting the front leg of the tripod a bit lower to compinsate the 1 degree. One of many of the little things i have learnt and have to learn about the wonderful world of Astronomy. I'm sure from this site, as i see many others have i will learn alot more.

Cheers
Old 13-09-2010, 08:12 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Brent and welcome. Tell us what you are looking at with your new scope. Cheers Eric

Last edited by erick; 16-09-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 16-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Chi Sao (Jason)
So much to learn

Hi

Hi I'm Jason,

Have been reading the threads here and there. I have been given a Celestron 4" Nexstar as a birthday gift. Tried photographing the Moon the other night and the image was "not good" compared to what I saw.

I am looking for an idiots guide to Astrophotography was considering getting http://www.astropix.com/GADC/TOC.HTM. Would appreciate any advice.

I think I have Lens envy. I would like to photograph; planets, moon, DSOs and may be one day The sun (with appropriate filters/protection).

My first ever nebula image was the Horse head nebula in a skylight like dome on a Pan Am 747 30 odd years ago, the colours were beautiful.

Well looks like I have found another expensive photography related hobby.

Cheers

Jason
Old 21-09-2010, 12:58 PM
philg (Phil)

Brisbane viewing

Hi Everyone, I'm Phil.

I purchased a 8" Orion Intelliscope Dob a few weeks ago and have been exploring the night sky from my backyard, which I'm loving. But as we have a big hill on one side and lots of trees on the other side of us I find that a lot objects that I want to view are hidden Are there "well known" locations (parks, etc) around Brisbane/Ipswich which are ideal for astronomy?

Thanks
Phil
Old 22-09-2010, 09:12 AM
sagittariusA (Chantelle)

Green

hey, i joined yeserday.
as green as they get and would love advice on getting started.
posted a few about my pops scope, will fix it up because i love the old ones.
still would need to buy a new one to get into astro photography.
sooooo. I need to know.... where to get lenses replaced, like new ones cut?? what would be a good new scope for me to buy, cheapish cause as a student i'm broke almost all the time.
what's a good starter to get used to my scope, ie, what to look for and what i should be seeing when i've got it right?
long list i know but now it's out there.
C.
Old 27-09-2010, 11:47 AM
TheFacelessMen (Rob)

Hi

Hi All,

Just joined today. Been into astronomy and a telescope user for a while but have only just had the time to start getting serious

Decided to join up as I have ordered a new scope and have lots to learn so go easy on me !!

Thx
Old 27-09-2010, 12:16 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

What have you ordered Rob? Do tell.
Old 27-09-2010, 12:41 PM
TheFacelessMen (Rob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
What have you ordered Rob? Do tell.
Hi there Erick,

I just posted a question in the beginners equipment discussion section, but I ordered a takahashi mewlon 250 and takahashi em400 mount.

stupid me did not realise the differences in setting up the mount over my old fork and alt/az mounts so now need some advice.