Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 19-03-2022, 03:06 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

ROR with a plastic garden shed

https://youtu.be/Ub9ckChVx1o
This shed is a 7’x7’ Caftsman (an American brand) but seemingly very siilar to a model sold by Bunnings under the brand name Lifetime ( https://www.bunnings.com.au/lifetime...B&gclsrc=aw.ds ).

i was wondering whether anyone had any experience with either brand and ( in partiular) with this sort of mod.
Old 19-03-2022, 05:15 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Just lately, i have installed (smaller, from bunnings) 2 lifetime sheds and i was impressed by the robustness. WAY better than any wobbly Aussie tin shed I have assembled in the past. The vid showed some serious mods, but your plan seems to be doable IMO
Old 19-03-2022, 05:21 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Just lately, i have installed (smaller, from bunnings) 2 lifetime sheds and i was impressed by the robustness. WAY better than any wobbly Aussie tin shed I have assembled in the past. The vid showed some serious mods, but your plan seems to be doable IMO
Thanks Fred. As always, I don’t need very much encouragement to jump in the deep end!
Old 19-03-2022, 05:34 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

My latest untried and untested idea is to use a "Roll-a-door" as the roof. I like the idea that it reduces the foot print for the roll off roof supports as well.

A simple arrangement with the "roll-a-door" tracks fixed to the top of two walls. The "roll-a-door" drum could be offset from the shed on poles, or you could go a cut-away.

Main idea is the materials can be sourced very cheaply via gumtree and such.

The only thing I'm still trying to figure out is a suitable, cheap and available guttering/weathering system.
Old 19-03-2022, 05:36 PM
floyd_2 (Dean)

I have two Keter sheds and I think they’re excellent. One is maybe 8 years old, the other newer and they remain in excellent and watertight condition. They haven’t gone brittle as yet either. They were pricey compared to tin sheds but in my opinion, worth what I paid for them. The Craftsman one in that video looks remarkably similar to one of mine.
Old 19-03-2022, 10:13 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Thanks guys. That pretty much matches what I hoped for. I have put in an order just now for a Keter model that is a bit smaller ( it’s just 1.3 x 1.9 or thereabouts).

https://www.bunnings.com.au/keter-12...-shed_p0132719

Site constraints made it necessary so I’ll just have to squeeze myself into a smaller space. But I won’t be sitting in the shed anyway. I’ll be indoors, warm and dry!

Last edited by pmrid; 20-03-2022 at 07:32 AM.
Old 20-03-2022, 07:50 PM
Pepper (Steve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura_gadi View Post
My latest untried and untested idea is to use a "Roll-a-door" as the roof. I like the idea that it reduces the foot print for the roll off roof supports as well.

A simple arrangement with the "roll-a-door" tracks fixed to the top of two walls. The "roll-a-door" drum could be offset from the shed on poles, or you could go a cut-away.

Main idea is the materials can be sourced very cheaply via gumtree and such.

The only thing I'm still trying to figure out is a suitable, cheap and available guttering/weathering system.
Not sure about a roller door mate. They are designed to be vertical and weighted. When closing more so than opening.
Even when installed as they are meant to go, they can be finicky.
I’d imagine laid out horizontally it will be a scumbag to get it to work nice, especially when trying to close it.
Old 21-03-2022, 04:01 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Had the same doubts, was going to call someone this week in the trade to ask them. I'm hoping if the drum is under the track height I'll still get the mass for the drum to operate and maybe a 10% incline on the roof to help?

Ok, A little more thinking and I'm thinking for weight and convenience a window security screen might be better. Seems they can do custom jobs up to sun room size for NSW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (security awnings.png)
126.3 KB50 views

Last edited by mura_gadi; 21-03-2022 at 10:00 AM.