Old 07-09-2008, 06:18 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

PHD guiding issue.

Im out tonight running my first guided exposures, and after 61 calibrations, PHD drops out saying that the star has not moved enough in RA.

Its running at pretty much full default settings,
EQ6 is set to autoguide rate 1x

Using Eq6 + GPUSB + DBK31. doing 1.5sec exposures and getting 5 - 6 pretty good stars to guide on, I've used all of them and had the exact same issue... 61 calibrations, error.

Guiding through an 8" newtonian

Anything I should change in the settings?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

That free software can be a little glitchy sometimes Alex!
I sometimes get this problem in both RA and Dec. All I do is exit the program completely and start over again. You've already done the hard part of getting a guidestar - usually calibrates with no probems after a program restart.

Just remember to set the RA or DEC setting back to Auto in the "Brain" menu before shutting down/restarting.

Can't help with the reasons why though.
Good Luck
Doug
Old 07-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Alex

Is there an option to disable auto guiding on either the RA, DEC or both axes? I know there is on CCDSoft and I inadvertently had them turned off so the system would not calibrate. When I “ticked” the “Yes” checkboxes, everything worked (in CCDSoft).

Other than that, can you manually move the guide star under software control? That is, have you verified that the mount is receiving guiding corrections?

Cheers

Dennis
Old 07-09-2008, 07:19 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

yeah, its moving the mount (verified by round stars in a 5 min exposure thats enough verification for me.. )

More seriously, I can move the star under software control so thats ok...

I dunno.. it guides for 4 minutes or so.. and im running 3 min subs.. so its all pretty sweet i guess..
Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That's very easy to fix. You just need to increase the calibration step duration. Click on the brain then set it to 2000 for example. Then close PHD, restart it and do your calibation run again. The star will move. Make sure guiding in DEC is also ticked. PHD will disable it if calibration fails.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That's very easy to fix. You just need to increase the calibration step duration. Click on the brain then set it to 2000 for example. Then close PHD, restart it and do your calibation run again. The star will move. Make sure qhuiding in DEC is also ticked. PHD will disable it if calibration fails.
I had the same problem - using PHD through the laptop with my LXD-75.

I set the calibration step to 1000 ms. Before then, I couldn't get it to calibrate properly. Works a treat now

Pete
Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

ok.. upon another inspection, the manual guide buttons are not driving the mount.... GPUSB check shows its connected, i change the LED color, turn it on and off, but no mount movement.... ?? it was working earlier... I've checked the connections, and all SEEMS good.... grumble grumble... first light teething problems....
Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Is the rj cable ok? It should be wired like the image attached. I think the GPUSB LED flashes green when passing a guiding pulse. Guiding was dropping out on mine last night, the plugs where not contacting properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0136.JPG)
71.8 KB32 views
Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

the wires in my guide cable are opposite at each end... Screw up on bintel's behalf?
Old 08-09-2008, 07:54 AM
vash (Ashley)

you could also try putting the guide rate on the mount down to .5x, I found I had this problem my first night out but then changed this and worked fine.
Old 20-09-2008, 12:59 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
ok.. upon another inspection, the manual guide buttons are not driving the mount.... GPUSB check shows its connected, i change the LED color, turn it on and off, but no mount movement.... ?? it was working earlier... I've checked the connections, and all SEEMS good.... grumble grumble... first light teething problems....
Alex

did you end up working out the answer? I've just picked up an EQ6 and can't get GPUSB to move the mount. I've tried x0.25 right through to x1.

Any tips anyone?

Pete
Old 20-09-2008, 01:43 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

The cable I had was wired incorrectly Pete.

PHD was telling me that the scope was connected, however it wouldnt move the mount as it was receiving scrambled signals.... I have a new cable and im testing it out tonight.

Cheers mate.
Alex.
Old 20-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Babalyon 5

Eqmod

Howdy,
You guys could also try EQMOD, which supports the new pulse guiding routine through a serial cable, which is the normal computer cable that comes with your mount. Put your hand controller in PC direct mode and give it a go from there.
EQMOD is awesome and worth the effort to get it to work.
Old 20-09-2008, 01:57 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalyon 5 View Post
effort to get it to work.
Thats the only bit that bothers me

It is good, and I've seen it used and it turns the EQ6 from a good mount to a great mount... but so much effort to get it going properly and honestly I cant be a55ed...
Old 20-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Babalyon 5

Eqmod

Quote:
Thats the only bit that bothers me

It is good, and I've seen it used and it turns the EQ6 from a good mount to a great mount... but so much effort to get it going properly and honestly I cant be a55ed...

LOL! I know what you mean! It will be beneficial in the long run(as with most things), and being able to create an alignment map of, say, 25 stars or more, saving your alignment and adding to it is what interests me. Also, EQMOSAIC, PERecorder, PECPrep, pulse guiding, freeware planetarium software for scope control, blah, blah, blah!!
Old 20-09-2008, 04:20 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
The cable I had was wired incorrectly Pete.

PHD was telling me that the scope was connected, however it wouldnt move the mount as it was receiving scrambled signals.... I have a new cable and im testing it out tonight.

Cheers mate.
Alex.
Thanks. I suspect I have the same issue. I was assured by Bintel that a normal phone cable will connect the mount to the GPUSB but I suspect that it is a differently wired cable.

I'll give it a test drive tonight too.

Pete
Old 20-09-2008, 04:25 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

I got my incorrectly wired one from bintel.. if thats any indication...

My new cable was made by a forum member, who's made quite a few before, the pins at each end of the cable should be identical. from left to right.

The one I got from bintel was a mirror image.
Old 20-09-2008, 08:23 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
I got my incorrectly wired one from bintel.. if thats any indication...

My new cable was made by a forum member, who's made quite a few before, the pins at each end of the cable should be identical. from left to right.

The one I got from bintel was a mirror image.
Just checked the Shoestring site - my cable is reversed too. A task for tomorrow.

Any tips on recrimping?

Pete
Old 20-09-2008, 08:28 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

do you have crimpers? if so it should be pretty straight forward. reverse their order, get a new plug, slot all the wires into the new plug, insert it into the crimper and squeeze...
Old 20-09-2008, 10:00 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
do you have crimpers? if so it should be pretty straight forward. reverse their order, get a new plug, slot all the wires into the new plug, insert it into the crimper and squeeze...
YOu know, I had a feeling you weregoing to say that...

No, no crimpers. Might consider shopping for a non-reversed cable - they must be around somewhere. A new cable will be cheaper than crimpers I expect.

Pete