Old 17-02-2017, 01:07 PM
brisen (Brian)

Autoguiding issues

I am trying to troubleshoot issues with PHD2, but have not been able to work out why the mount no longer guides.

I am using a ZWO ASI120 M on a 80mm Guidescope mounted on an ED120. The mount is an EQ6 Pro. I have previously had this setup working to the point where I was getting 15 m exposures with NB filters without trailing. The last few times I have had a chance to try and do some imaging it has simply not worked and ended in frustration.

Last night I took the mount out and got an accurate polar alignment with Synscan as I cant see Octans from home due to trees. I left the mount tracking for about 30 mins and Avior had barely moved in the eyepiece when I came back. I then did a calibration in PHD2 and this completed without PHD having a dummy spit that the mount was not orthogonal, or didn't complete sufficient steps to calibrate. PHD2 then stated it was guiding but the trend lines were not on the chart and the rectangles for DEC and RA were full bars to the bottom of the screen. PHD2 was indicating that the RA was around the 70" and DEC not much less. I initially thought it might be a cable issue and replaced the ST-4 cable with no change in the behaviour.

I have the guide cam correctly connected and use 'on camera' for the guiding.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am at a loss as to why the setup went from working well to now being un-useable for guiding.

Brian
Old 17-02-2017, 01:32 PM
JA

Sorry to hear of your woes B,

Was the guidescope focus Ok? Is the guide camera showing an image as normal? (perhaps check during day). Do you have another guide camera to help rule out the guide camera as being possibly faulty? Maybe try reinstall PHD2 or any drivers. Good luck hunting the problem, hopefully it's not related to the mount (which I suppose you could rule in or out by using your laptop & guidecamera with another (a friend's mount).

Best
JA
Old 17-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Sounds a little like a cable issue, are you using the ST-4 port?
Old 17-02-2017, 02:11 PM
brisen (Brian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Sorry to hear of your woes B,

Was the guidescope focus Ok? Is the guide camera showing an image as normal? (perhaps check during day). Do you have another guide camera to help rule out the guide camera as being possibly faulty? Maybe try reinstall PHD2 or any drivers. Good luck hunting the problem, hopefully it's not related to the mount (which I suppose you could rule in or out by using your laptop & guidecamera with another (a friend's mount).

Best
JA
Thanks JA

Yes, guide scope focus was good and the image was showing as normal. I just got my hands on a second guide cam to try and rule out the cam tonight. I have just reinstalled PHD 2 and updated to the new release so hopefully that works.

Brian
Old 17-02-2017, 02:12 PM
brisen (Brian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Sounds a little like a cable issue, are you using the ST-4 port?
Hi Colin

Yes to the ST-4 port, I thought cable last night and swapped it out, but have another one that I can try tonight to rule out the cable.

Brian
Old 17-02-2017, 03:56 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

I'm having a bad hair day with my guiding too.
Pretty sure mine is down to awful upper atmosphere as the graph could be used to fell trees.
That and the "star lost" bing every minute or so.
Star snr goes from 0-12.... sheesh.
Not sure why your kit is playing up but I must suspect cabling
Old 17-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Also double check the telescope balance - should be a little out towards the East.
And that the manual direction controls in PHD actually move the star.....
Old 17-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisen View Post
Hi Colin

Yes to the ST-4 port, I thought cable last night and swapped it out, but have another one that I can try tonight to rule out the cable.

Brian
Even if the cable is working fine there is always the chance that one of the ST-4 ports may be playing up. Changing guilders will tell you if it is on the guider end but not the mount side.