Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 18-11-2019, 10:41 AM
rzgp33 (Brian)

Ahhh silence is golden. Neighbours barking dogs have moved :)

Every time I moved to the backyard to observe, or to make images, my neighbours dogs would begin to bark. As we know sometimes the best sky is up in the wee hours, and so my neighbour complained that I was sooling his dogs up At the time he complained it was 2:30am and I was quietly sitting by my scope looking at a red screen.

Its not the only time the dog barked, he was a constant annoyance, just walking out the back door was enough to get him going... but now they have moved...yehhh well at least I think they have moved... maybe they are just on hols. hmmmm

Anyway it so nice to just be able to garden or obs and enjoy the peace. Even with noise cancelling headphones on it wears you down.

Now if I can just get the neighbour on the other side to turn off their flood lights......

Brian
Old 18-11-2019, 10:57 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Yes, what a relief that can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzgp33 View Post
As we know sometimes the best sky is up in the wee hours, and so my neighbour complained that I was sooling his dogs up A
That is boganism taken to the next level. How dare you spend time in your yard when you feel like it...
Old 18-11-2019, 11:16 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

I feel your pain Brother,

My next door nieghbours (both sides), have "dunny brush" dogs that yap at the slightest provocation. Thankfully my awesome nieghbour's dogs can be educated, and have come to know us. The other side however, despite us having moved in 5 years ago, yaps non stop the moment we open the back door.

After 5 mins of yapping, eventually we hear them tell it to shut up. 5mins is an eternity at 10pm+.

Having recently lost my beautiful 16 year old cat, I'm quietly waiting for this 12 year old yapping dog to graciously move on. Further motivation to fulfil my dream of building (and testing ) a Trebuche.
Old 18-11-2019, 01:54 PM
drylander (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzgp33 View Post
Now if I can just get the neighbour on the other side to turn off their flood lights......
Brian
slingshot at 30 paces? Air rifle to remove the brightness? Every problem has a solution depending on the chance of getting caught.
Pete
Old 18-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Startrek (Martin)

I feel your frustration and now some relief hey
I have 2 storey houses either side of me with a million wall lights , balcony lights and passage lights left on most of the night until late. I’m sure these home building companies saturate the house with exterior lighting to advertise the house from the street , there’s no way you need that many lights and more than half have no real purpose.Don't people believe in using motion sensors anymore , they ain’t rocket science !!
I had no choice but to buy some poly tarps from Bunnings and hang them up around my scope to avoid direct glare
It’s bad enough imaging under Bortle 8 Sydney skies and the moon every 2 weeks and now Las Vegas either side of me
Grumble Grumble ......
Fortunately .... I have a weekender on the south coast 2.5 hrs from Sydney with Bortle 3 skies , ah some relief from time to time ( my little piece of Astro heaven)
Old 18-11-2019, 09:47 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

For sale: Free

Ad:

Dog: Free to a good home.

Inclined to be pretty yappy when anyone is just over the fence or near the gate but otherwise, not a bad small mixed-breed dog.

Serious enquiries only. Ring and I'll nip over the fence to retrieve him for you.
Old 19-11-2019, 12:50 PM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Ad:

Dog: Free to a good home...

...Serious enquiries only. Ring and I'll nip over the fence to retrieve him for you.
Sophisticated - I like it. Very tempting infact...

<diabolical laugh>Mwah ha ha haaaaa</diabolical laugh>
Old 19-11-2019, 02:23 PM
dikman (Richard)

I have found the biggest problem these days is that many people don't think of anyone else, whether it be dogs barking, lights on, noise, whatever. I appear to be a member of a minority group these days by always being aware of what I'm doing and how it might impact on others.
Old 19-11-2019, 06:30 PM
Astronovice (Calvin)

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
I have found the biggest problem these days is that many people don't think of anyone else, whether it be dogs barking, lights on, noise, whatever. I appear to be a member of a minority group these days by always being aware of what I'm doing and how it might impact on others.
Couldn’t agree more. Too many people these days show little respect for others together with no responsibility for their own actions. My neighbour has a Yorkshire terrier that spends 90% of its time in their back garden. As soon as it hears the click of our sliding patio door latch it starts barking. Any request to remedy this usually lasts for the remainder of that day, then back to normal thereafter.
Old 19-11-2019, 10:49 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

'A dog is only as good as the bloke on the end of the lead'.
Old 20-11-2019, 09:54 AM
AndyG (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taminga16 View Post
100% True. Now welcome to my neighbourhood - Everyone has a dog, every dog has his own dog, and none have leads. Fences are an optional extra...

Needless to say, I don't let my kids play in the front yard until we get a proper fence.
Old 20-11-2019, 11:20 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taminga16 View Post
Yep. My mother-in-law has two unmanageable idiot mutts. She went into hospital and my sister-in-law took the dogs. Two weeks later those dogs did what they were told, when they were told. The old girl came home and the mutts are once again unmanageable.
Old 20-11-2019, 09:48 PM
Pepper (Steve)

Sounds like you need to get rid of the mother in law.......