Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2016, 09:15 AM
Rick Parrott
Dexdoggy

3 Planets

Hope this is the right place for this post...

I have just purchased two Long Perng Long Eye Relief eyepieces from Andrews (ordered Tuesday, arrived Wednesday!). I bought these with the intent of improving our planetary viewing from our Plossl eyepieces, and we were not disappointed!

Observation: Milperra (Sydney), Seeing = 5 , Transparency = III, cool night with quite a bit of condensation, 7pm to 11pm viewing.

Eyepieces: 9mm and 14.5mm, both with 55 degrees FOV, 20mm eye relief and 7 elements in fully multi-coated glass.

Jupiter
Red Spot! I have seen vague hints before, but tonight it was sharp & clear & it resembled a pink-red pimple!
The planets' main 2 bands looked to "curl" into the lighter bands, and faint dark bands at higher / lower latitudes were also visible. One of the moons came slowly from behind which was very enjoyable! I could hardly take my eyes off this planet until the red spot finally disappeared in rotation.

Saturn
I have again had hints before, but first time I could clearly see faint bands in the planet. The rings were spectacular, with Cassini division clear and distinct. At least 5 moons visible.

Mars
At last! Mars as I had imagined it! Still a bit fuzzy, but wonderful red/yellow coloured face with green-grey long patch across it's face, and the white polar caps visible (especially the larger "lower' one!). I tried a couple of different filters (light blue was the best, red, yellow) which all reduced the intensity of it's brightness. Couldn't see Matt Damon though...

Not Just Planets
I know these eyepieces are supposed to be for planets, but what the heck!
C94 Jewel Box - crystal clear, 14.5 was able to accommodate the whole "picture".
C92 Eta Carina Nebula - both eyepieces excelled in showing detailed views!

Wrap-Up!
I'm very much a beginner, but I found a huge improvement in viewing these planets with these new eyepieces. As a glasses wearer they made for comfortable viewing. As a Dob owner I found it easy to follow each planet in both eyepieces. They also performed nicely on deep sky objects. Very pleasing easy to use, and we certainly found these enhanced views inspiring!

Come on next clear sky!

Last edited by Rick Parrott; 09-05-2016 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I enjoyed your report Rick. A very successful upgrade. The three planets are wonderful targets at the moment, but as you say there is a lot more to be revealed over time.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Bombardon (Eugene)

Great Report, Rick. Steady seeing and refractors are best for planets. However, on one night in ten in my coastal swamp I can see details on planets! Not on Mars this season for me - too puny for high magnification. I had to be content with spotting Phobos and Deimos when suitably positioned. However, deep sky is more forgiving of bad seeing, provided there is good transparency, young eyes and TV/Computer starvation At a push I can manage 2 out of 3 Thanks for sharing observations. Eugene