ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-03-2016, 09:09 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Comparing views

Hi,

I'm looking for someone in Brisbane with a Meade 14" ACF SCT that would be willing to let me come and take a look through it as I am wondering whether to acquire one in place of my 152mm APM. The latter provides simply beautiful views but it is still only a 6"! I have heard the ACF provides 'refractor' like views with lots of contrast.

I'm also interested know how those views compare with the DOBs. The reason for inclining towards the SCT is I already have an observatory with an EQ8 - neither of which would be useful for a DOB.

Chris
Old 29-03-2016, 02:52 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Sct

Or a 14" Celestron Edge?
Old 29-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

The one area where a 6" APM is likely to do better than a 14" SCT is with planets and Luna viewing. This is both because the SCT has something like a 35% central obstruction and because the Meades are difficult to cool down, the Celestron has vents I believe.

For deep sky the aperture rules but they're not as well suited to high powered detailed observation. Photographically it doesn't matter and then all comes down to focal length.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Decimus (Richard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for someone in Brisbane with a Meade 14" ACF SCT that would be willing to let me come and take a look through it as I am wondering whether to acquire one in place of my 152mm APM. The latter provides simply beautiful views but it is still only a 6"! I have heard the ACF provides 'refractor' like views with lots of contrast.

I'm also interested know how those views compare with the DOBs. The reason for inclining towards the SCT is I already have an observatory with an EQ8 - neither of which would be useful for a DOB.

Chris
Glad you say you get great views through your APM, Chris, because my new 152mm APM arrived day before yesterday (see Equipment discussions) and I haven't had a chance to use it yet (it's resting in its box)...Sounds like you've got aperture fever. Why get rid of such a superb scope?
Good luck with your quest.I have looked through some moderately large aperture reflectors (e.g. a C12)and I don't think they will match the contrast of your refractor (although clearly light-gathering power is a different matter!)

Cheers,
Richard
Old 05-04-2016, 11:53 PM
raymo

Your right about the contrast Richard, but for resolution, and magnification,
when the seeing is good, and for faint fuzzies, the 14 would kill it,
so I suppose it comes down to which attributes matter the most to you.
raymo