Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-02-2019, 10:33 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Timezone northern NSW ?

Yesterday we drove from Brisbane to a small place called Eltham (close to Lismore) in northern NSW and saw the clock in a restaurant one hour too late, so I notified the owner and she said 'we have daylight saving time'.

I thought that only Victoria, southern NSW (Sydney) and South Australia have AEDT (UTC+11) and QLD+northern NSW AEST (UTC+10).
Is that correct ?
Old 19-02-2019, 10:49 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Not sure about your question but there is an island in Fiji (Ovalau) that has the ultimate solution. Their old town clock does not have any 12 o'clock. In its place are the roman numerals for 13 (XIII). That way, everyone is happy.

Peter
Old 19-02-2019, 12:25 PM
Wavytone

Skysurfer, not quite. Queensland, NSW, Victoria, Tasmania are all In the Timezone GMT+10. The issue you allude to is that Queensland does not have daylight saving in summer whereas the others do ie clocks are set 1 hour forward.

South Australia’s time zone is GMT+9h30m, and also has daylight saving in summer.

The dates for daylight saving are gazetted by the government each year.

There is also a difference between UTC and GMT (splitting hairs, I know).

What I’d like is metric time as tried briefly in France after the revolution. 10 hours per day, 100 minutes per hour and 100 seconds per minute. And the adopt the ancient Egyptian perpetual calendar - 12 months of 30 days plus 5 holidays at the end of the year, every year the same - and simply accept the seasons shift a quarter of a day per year. The only downside is all the companies making and selling calendars and diaries would be out of a job.

That’s what I regard as an ultimate solution for time and date.

Last edited by Wavytone; 19-02-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 19-02-2019, 12:26 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

QLD, NSW, ACT, VIC & TAS are in the UTC +10:00 time zone, SA and NT are UTC +9:30, and WA is UTC + 8:00.

One hour of Daylight Saving is observed in summer in all of NSW, ACT, VIC, SA and TAS. There is no Daylight Saving in QLD, NT, or WA.

And then there are a few places which run their own local time zones - several tropical islands off the Queensland coast run 1 hour of "Island Time" all year round, Eucla (on the WA side of the border with SA) runs Australian Central Western Standard Time (UT + 8:45), etc.
Old 19-02-2019, 04:30 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Lunch at the eltham pub ?,,3 hours to get there and 1 hour to go back

sometimes daylight savings works for me sometimes not .
Old 19-02-2019, 05:05 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Skysurfer, not quite. Queensland, NSW, Victoria, Tasmania are all In the Timezone GMT+10. The issue you allude to is that Queensland does not have daylight saving in summer whereas the others do ie clocks are set 1 hour forward.

South Australia’s time zone is GMT+9h30m, and also has daylight saving in summer.

The dates for daylight saving are gazetted by the government each year.

There is also a difference between UTC and GMT (splitting hairs, I know).

What I’d like is metric time as tried briefly in France after the revolution. 10 hours per day, 100 minutes per hour and 100 seconds per minute.
Why SA and NT don't have full hour time differences I don't know. Why not +9 or +10 (preferably, same as eastern states) ?

The French revolution decimal time was a bad idea.

What I prefer more: no timezones at all, the entire world using UTC (or AEST or whatever), but probably not feasible. Just like the whole world (except the USA) works with a single unit such as kilometers, kilograms, etc.

The next best is : only full hour timezones and no DST in any place. Simple.
Old 19-02-2019, 05:46 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

DST is pointless in Australia, except maybe Tassie...but really it's just a case of picking the right timezone and sticking to it!

As for half hour timezones
Old 20-02-2019, 10:50 AM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
DST is pointless in Australia,
On the contrary. The motive for it originated from the power generation industry - the morning/evening peak loads are significantly influenced by whether they occur in daylight, or not. Shifting the peaks by an hour in summer results in a significant saving to the community as a whole.

If the government suggested we could have no daylight saving - but domestic electricity bills will be hiked by $200 - I suggest most would prefer the daylight saving.

There is a spin-off too - it becomes possible to engage in several outdoor sports after work on week-days - anything from tennis, athletics to sailing and paragliding - where available light is crucial. But outdoor sports in the UK aren’t as popular as here so I’m not surprised by your reply.

In comparison - due to your latitude in the UK, the evening twilight lasts so long you don’t need daylight saving.
Old 20-02-2019, 12:14 PM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianh72 View Post
QLD, NSW, ACT, VIC & TAS are in the UTC +10:00 ...
Broken Hill NSW on (SA time)

Oh, how the west is easily forgotten.

Last edited by theodog; 20-02-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: add
Old 20-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
On the contrary. The motive for it originated from the power generation industry - the morning/evening peak loads are significantly influenced by whether they occur in daylight, or not. Shifting the peaks by an hour in summer results in a significant saving to the community as a whole.

If the government suggested we could have no daylight saving - but domestic electricity bills will be hiked by $200 - I suggest most would prefer the daylight saving.

There is a spin-off too - it becomes possible to engage in several outdoor sports after work on week-days - anything from tennis, athletics to sailing and paragliding - where available light is crucial. But outdoor sports in the UK aren’t as popular as here so I’m not surprised by your reply.

In comparison - due to your latitude in the UK, the evening twilight lasts so long you don’t need daylight saving.
So wait...you’re telling me that coal power stations care whether or not it’s daylight? That may be historically relevant, but with all the reduced power devices (lighting) these days, it can’t be significant.

The UK / Europe daylight shifting also has limited merits. The only one I can think of being that it starts getting light at 4am instead of 3am in summer