Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-06-2016, 01:13 AM
zippeyjhon (Zachary)

Orion skyquest xt12g goto dobsonian mount weight limitations

G'day All. I have a Orion skyquest xt12g goto dobsonian which I brought a few months ago. Does anybody know what the weight limitations are or what the maximum weight the base can handle is? I've emailed orion but they can't give me an answer. I'm looking at making a more permanent mounting for my battery to the base as I don't have access to mains power at my observing site. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by zippeyjhon; 17-06-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old 17-06-2016, 01:30 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

It's difficult to answer. You get gradually more wobble and flex as you put more weight on a dob mount. Because the scope is designed for visual use it'd be hard to quote a weight limit. Depends on your tolerance for movement/vibration/etc.

It's easy to modify though when you think it's getting too sloppy and/or wobbly: reinforce the sides (extra buttresses work well). There are also effective AZ bearing kits available from ATM suppliers though I'm not sure if they can be used with a goto scope. And there is the old ebony star + teflon treatment that is a sure winner.
Old 17-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I have a 17 amp hour battery that I place on the base of mine and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Probably weighs about 5kg at a guess, not sure on what size battery you're planning on mounting though.