Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2014, 05:58 PM
HCR32 (Peter)

Goodbye freedom to choose in Australia

What choice do you have now whether your for it or against this sounds like the beginning of other things to come. Just be careful about what you say to anyone, big brother is in the house now for good!

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2...nternet-piracy

Oh I just worked it out youtube will probably get the flick what a shame that would be if you don't download your content. Lol
Old 11-12-2014, 06:11 PM
casstony

So far the current clowns are shooting themselves in the foot so hopefully they won't be there much longer. The other mediocre bunch will dump some of the nastier policies, but introduce some dumb policies of their own.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Well, you can choose to pay for a commercial VPN and you can access just about anything with impunity - like the US Netflix and BBC Iview.

But if one is into torrents, one has to read carefully whether the VPN provider says he provides access to peer 2 peer, as many of them routinely block torrents/P2P sharing.
Regards,
Renato
Old 11-12-2014, 07:59 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

and now you know why I refuse to vote for any of the scum bags.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:24 PM
parryg (Parry)

and it wont even work .. those who wish to pirate will just move to the TOR network and use encryption & remote proxies .. the only people it hurts are the ISP's (more costs so we will all pay more) and the man in the street not trying to do anything illegal !!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 PM
PeterEde (Peter)
Prince Planet

Ha current clowns. As opposed to the 1/2 wits who caused the problems
Old 11-12-2014, 11:41 PM
doppler (Rick)

Sad thing is that the movie makers will not get much more income because most internet downloaders only do it because its free, they are not going to rush to the movies to see a b grade movie, it will eventually be on free to air or if they can't wait they will borrow the dvd from a mate.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:04 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

I find it amusing to see the righteous indignation people can muster at being told they don't have a right to steal. Shock and horror! The fact that it has been possible to steal with relative ease and impunity doesn't alter the fundamental nature of the act.

Peter
Old 12-12-2014, 10:35 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

I think people used to share music and movies also before the Internet. The Internet just made it better, but politicians want to wreck it. No wonder. Why should they care considering what they earn?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Marios (Marios)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
I find it amusing to see the righteous indignation people can muster at being told they don't have a right to steal. Shock and horror! The fact that it has been possible to steal with relative ease and impunity doesn't alter the fundamental nature of the act.

Peter
Sorry Peter

This is not about theft but censorship creeping in on the back of one political football. It is not the governments job to spy on and decide what content we have access too. Private company's need to go after people who steal there property directly through the legal system as any private citizen.

The fact we are now giving big corporate special privilege through government legislation only reveals who our government is really working for. Big business hates the internet because the little guy can compete equally on the same platform. They seek to make websites a privilege that has to be leased through them and so convoluted with legislation that a private citizens site can be removed without a legal process. The long term goal as always is a monopoly and shutting down true free trade even of ideas and speech.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:51 AM
doppler (Rick)

Movie piracy used to be when people would make copies of dvd's and sell them cheaper than the shops. The internet has all but wiped out that trade. My kids buy boxed set tv series and their friends borrow them. Is this illegal? should I tell them to stop because someone is not paying?
Old 12-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEde View Post
Ha current clowns. As opposed to the 1/2 wits who caused the problems
You mean Vint Cerf, Tim Berners-Lee and Bram Cohen?

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Please Mr Government official may I have permission to log onto Ice In Space

Not until you have filled these 300 forms and photocopied them in triplicate
Old 12-12-2014, 12:13 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

https://torrentfreak.com/swedish-pol...ffline-141209/
Old 12-12-2014, 12:14 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Another good way to get you will be these little beasties
http://estimote.com/about-estimote.html
No need to sell the info, they get it as you walk by.

Andrew
Old 12-12-2014, 12:35 PM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post

Peter
Too true Peter. The "Reds in your Bed" brigade will have you believe it is all a Government plot to spy on us....... or Big Brother watching every move we make. Seems to me a case of 'Aid and Abet' if not 'Procure and Counsel' by the various ISPs.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:43 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
...and in other news, how about this little snippet in the Murdoch Press yesty:
http://www.news.com.au/national/tels...-1227153010001

Steve
Now .... , let me get this straight .... , Telstra is going to sell data to supermarkets that tells them when they have the most customers?? Don't those fancy cash registers (now there is an outdated name) have clocks in them?
Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Now .... , let me get this straight .... , Telstra is going to sell data to supermarkets that tells them when they have the most customers?? Don't those fancy cash registers (now there is an outdated name) have clocks in them?
I am amazed at how much Woolworths already know about my shopping habits/purchases from my loyalty card-don't know why they would need anything else from Telstra
Old 12-12-2014, 03:12 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
Movie piracy used to be when people would make copies of dvd's and sell them cheaper than the shops. The internet has all but wiped out that trade. My kids buy boxed set tv series and their friends borrow them. Is this illegal? should I tell them to stop because someone is not paying?
Absolutely it's illegal Rick, the intro on the dvd probably says 'not to be loaned, hired, shown in public ...' - blah blah blah.

And yet your kid loaning out a dvd to his buddy would generally be regarded as much less naughty, even totally ok, than downloading a movie from a pirate site and watching it for free.

Yet both are just as illegal since the net result is the same, - ie you get to watch something you haven't paid for.

Incidentally, I see thepiratebay is back up already - barely 36 hours after being rumbled by Stockholm Police, - this time with a Costa Rican URL.

If only government departments were a tenth as efficient in the things they do - lol
Old 12-12-2014, 03:14 PM
PCH (Paul)

Which is .cr by the way in case anyone is interested in not pirating anything