ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-11-2015, 10:47 AM
glend (Glen)

BYEOS Cables Required?

I am attempting, once again, to get my Canon 450D working correctly on BYEOS. Can anyone advise on cable requirements? Do I just need the mini-usb or the stereo plug as well? Some cable stores like Tether-tools suggest I just need the usb cable whie others like Hap Giffin say I need the small stereo plug and a usb adaptor to use interval meter functions of BYEOS. And is there a prefered wireless solution? I am unable to contort my neck any longer to view Liveview screen at rediculous angles and have to find a solution. Thanks
Old 18-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

on my 600d i only needed to use the mni USB port and it always worked well for all the functions i tried ...
Old 18-11-2015, 12:09 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Hi,

I have a 450d and all you need is the mini usb cable

Live view is a treat on the laptop screen and byeos lets you record video on the 450d as well.

Cheers
Old 18-11-2015, 12:15 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

I seemed to need both on my 600d. I was also using a shoestring dssub thing though.
Old 18-11-2015, 12:51 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
I seemed to need both on my 600d. I was also using a shoestring dssub thing though.
This is exactly my point Russell, some Canon's seem to need both (the mini-usb and the serial stereo cable (for intervalmetre functions) and that requires a USB to Serial converter box) so you need two USB connections.

Redbeard, I'd want to know if your using a separate interval metre (on a stereo plug lead) or using the programmable function within BYEOS with just the single USB cable? I am not interested in BYEOS capture as I am happy to leave the files on the SD card.

Past experiments with BYEOS resulted in it changing file formats on me without notice, so I am leary of handing over file control to that app.
Old 18-11-2015, 02:06 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

[QUOTE=glend;1215065]This is exactly my point Russell, some Canon's seem to need both (the mini-usb and the serial stereo cable (for intervalmetre functions) and that requires a USB to Serial converter box) so you need two USB connections.

QUOTE]

yep mine wouldn't work without both connections. I know because there were times when it wouldn't connect with byeos and it was because my usb extension cord had slightly come loose. awesome if people can get theirs working without both cords.
Old 18-11-2015, 04:04 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Glen,

Only the USB cable is being used for the BYEOS intervalmeter and all other functions on the 450d exept for mirror lock according to the table on the web link below. The 600d mentioned also will work with only the USB cable including mirror lock. I don't need the mini stereo lead. To clarify, that's my experience, the mirror lock I got from the chart.

For a listing of what features are available on what camera, on the Backyard EOS web site see: http://www.otelescope.com/index.php?...agrid_bookmark

Also, as a tip, if you save the photos on your PC as well as the camera, you can see all the pics you have taken in BYEOS and review/zoom etc. I think it's a great program.

Cheers,

Damien.

Last edited by redbeard; 19-11-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 19-11-2015, 08:19 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Just the USB cable for my 450D.
Old 20-11-2015, 04:04 AM
guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

You only need the camera provided USB cable for the 450D and the 600D.

If people say they need the DSUSB cable as well for these models they are wrong... unless they use mirror lock... otherwise on the camera provided USB cable is needed.

Guylain