Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 04-09-2018, 05:46 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Thanks for the reply and information
Everything is worth while taking a look at.
I can't be 100% sure now if they were fully clicked in.
I sent the cables away with the hand controller, so will have to wait until they all come back, hoping this week.
A bit of luck that might be the issue.
Appreciate the information, every bit helps
Thanks.
Peter.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:34 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi again, Well looks like things are not going to well for me in regards of this telescope.
Replacement handset didn't solve the issue.
Did some more testing and this is what i came back with:

So set up the hand set as follows:

Using the app called Synscanlnit 2.1

Set Longitude, E 146° 23'
Set Latitude, S 41Set Longitude, E 146° 23'
Set Latitude, S 41° 15'
Set Time, + 10:00
Set Elevation, + 0032 m (also used 0000 m but made no difference)
Date, 08/24/2018
Enter time, 19:45
Daylight Saving NO 15'
Set Time, + 10:00
Set Elevation, + 0032 m
Date, 09/10/2018
Enter time, 19:45
Daylight Saving NO

I set the scope up facing North, Level so that it was reading Zero on the side scale, ( time was around 7:46 PM )

Selected Hadar as the first star in the 2 star alignment setup

Coordinates for Hadar were 220° 22.0' + 43° 58.5

Selected Fomalhaunt as the second star.

Using an app called SkySafari 5 it showed Fomalhaunt at around E 100 ( very rough measurement )

The scope slewed right past it and unded up close to 100 degrees West of it, ( Roughly ended up at N 345 )

I did another test while also, turned everything off, ( scope still facing North and Level, reading Zero )

Went through start up process, but selected no at star alignment, then selected show position.

Using handset, moved scope to Hadar and the reading was:

Dec = -10° 25'28

RA = 21h51m20.85

Next, setup scope facing south, same setup in choosing Hadar as the first star and then Fomalhaunt as the second star.

Same thing happened, but this time the scope ended up at N335, so around 10 degrees less than the first time, but roughly in the same position.

Did the same test as the North one in selecting show position.

This time when i slewed it around to Hadar it read:

DEC = -05° 03'21

RA = 16h 45m38.0s

I am hoping some of this information might be of some help as i am now at a total loss as to what is going on and what could be the issue.

A bit of a concern as it is slewing no where even remotely close on the two star alignment.

Not really sure what to make of those numbers, but Andrews have said that i need to send the base back.
I am hoping i can find some way of testing to see what is going on first as with the warranty claim, it states that i have to pay for the freight of the base over there:

Freight and Handling
You (the customer) will be responsible for costs incurred in returning the faulty item to Tasco for assessment. You can choose any shipping method when returning an item to Tasco (courier, reg post etc). In turn, Tasco will cover all costs in returning the repaired/replaced item back to you (using StarTrack Express courier or registered post).

Explanation of our Warranty Terms
In the event of a warranty claim for a faulty item, Tasco can opt to: 1. repair the item, 2. offer a replacement item, 3. issue a store credit against future purchases, 4. issue a refund. In most cases, Tasco will attempt to resolve the warranty claim by taking the above steps in the order they are shown.

Getting to be a real headache now.
Cheers.
Peter.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:50 PM
GeoffreyBarnes (Geoff)

Hi Peter,
Oh dear how frustrating! Just to be clear, you are absolutely sure you have the AZ Motor cable locked into its sockets until it clicks home and won't pull out?
Cheers, Geoff.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:10 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Yes,. Checked them multiple times, Andrews now are not interested in sending me a replacement base while I send mine back,. Basically been dropped by them as they are heading into a 2 week break Friday.
Disappointed on their behalf and slow actions.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:27 AM
GeoffreyBarnes (Geoff)

I see you mentioned Skysafari in your post, are you using it to guide the scope?
I'm sure I read on other forums that it doesn't work with certain Synscan apps, but I cant remember which exactly.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:00 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi, i am only using Skysafari to find the correct stars to align with as i am still learning what stars are what.
I figured if i used this program it would take out any errors on my behalf on selecting the incorrect stars.
Also using Synscanlnit 2.1 to make sure i am entering all the details in correctly also.
I have to wait until Friday now until the tech support is back at work at Tasco to find out exactly what they want me to send back, but looking like it will be at least over $100 in freight costs unfortunately for something that didn't work from new.
Just a learning curve i guess, but they have lost me as a customer for sure.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:18 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilver View Post
Hi, i am only using Skysafari to find the correct stars to align with as i am still learning what stars are what.
I figured if i used this program it would take out any errors on my behalf on selecting the incorrect stars.
Also using Synscanlnit 2.1 to make sure i am entering all the details in correctly also.
I have to wait until Friday now until the tech support is back at work at Tasco to find out exactly what they want me to send back, but looking like it will be at least over $100 in freight costs unfortunately for something that didn't work from new.
Just a learning curve i guess, but they have lost me as a customer for sure.
surely they must reimburse you the cost of freight if it is proved that the equipment was faulty as delivered.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:31 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi, That was the question i asked them and also the reason i will now no longer deal with them after this gets sorted.
Even when i told them that i my case i have received a faulty item from new,
Their reply to that was:
Warranty returns for Skywatcher products are handled by Tasco Sales Australia.

Therefore, the warranty conditions apply as they are detailed by Tasco on their website here: http://sales.tasco.net.au/warranty

With regards to your questions about the warranty conditions, Tasco addresses these questions as follows:

Explanation of our Warranty Terms
In the event of a warranty claim for a faulty item, Tasco can opt to: 1. repair the item, 2. offer a replacement item, 3. issue a store credit against future purchases, 4. issue a refund. In most cases, Tasco will attempt to resolve the warranty claim by taking the above steps in the order they are shown.

Freight and Handling
You (the customer) will be responsible for costs incurred in returning the faulty item to Tasco for assessment. You can choose any shipping method when returning an item to Tasco (courier, reg post etc). In turn, Tasco will cover all costs in returning the repaired/replaced item back to you (using StarTrack Express courier or registered post).
Old 12-09-2018, 06:45 PM
GeoffreyBarnes (Geoff)

No, that can't be right, Tasco collected and returned my Dob base unit by courier free of charge. Do you think it's just because you're in Tassie?
Old 12-09-2018, 07:14 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Could quiet possibly be the case, being so far away kind of makes it easier for them i guess.
It is not like the unit broke after it had been used for a while, it just didn't work from new.
I think they are just playing the legal system, best way there is to loose a customer.
Will wait until i here from them Friday, as apparently this person is only there Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays.
Not much else i can do except warn others i guess in dealing with Andrews.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:34 PM
GeoffreyBarnes (Geoff)

Yes, Tasco chief technical manager is Adriano Massatani, an Italian gentleman. I spoke with him a couple of times on the phone, he was very pleasant and helpful to me. He goes home at noon on a Friday, seems really busy, must have lots of Go-To units to check for faults I reckon!
Old 12-09-2018, 07:39 PM
m11 (Mel)

Sorry to hear you are still having issues.

Thinking of options, is there anyone close by who is willing to help you out and do some testing on the base with you? It might save you the cost and hassle of transporting.

Dealing with the vendor is another issue that I am sad to hear of your warranty issues.

All the best buddy.

M11
Old 13-09-2018, 03:54 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Looks like it is all sorted out now, a few choice phone calls and a few messages, Tasco are arranging for it to be picked up.
Bit of luck when it returns all will be good.
Have to say a big thanks to everyone for putting up with me and all the questions.
Appreciated.
Peter.
Old 13-09-2018, 04:03 PM
GeoffreyBarnes (Geoff)

Great news Peter and just as it should be too! Good luck!
Old 14-09-2018, 06:37 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Good News!
Shame it took so long.
Good on you for persisting.
Hope it is all favourably resolved quickly for you now.
Hope to hear from you when you get it sorted.
At least now you are well practised in the art of SynScan Alignment.
Old 28-09-2018, 11:12 AM
GeoffreyBarnes (Geoff)

Hi Peter,
It's been two weeks now, surely you've heard something from Tasco by now? Any news?
Old 28-09-2018, 11:23 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilver View Post
Yes,. Checked them multiple times, Andrews now are not interested in sending me a replacement base while I send mine back,. Basically been dropped by them as they are heading into a 2 week break Friday.
Disappointed on their behalf and slow actions.
Andrews is a discounter, consider how their business model works, they are a small shop and much of what they sell is held (probably) in a bonded warehouse (GSO, etc where they directly import), or by TASCO directly (in the case of Skywatcher products) perhaps in their bonded warehouse. So Andrews would not have access to a replacement base without requesting a unit from TASCO - in which case they (Andrews) then have to pay for it (without an order so its a cost on them for the entire scope assembly, import charges, etc).

Once Andrews sells a TASCO sourced product, if a warranty claim is made, then TASCO's process is invoked.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 AM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi, i haven't heard any news yet from Tasco,
It took about a week to get the freight organised and picked up, a little miss communication from Taco on how the freight setup was suppose t work, but that is fine and it arrived there on the 25th.
Talking to the guy at Tasco, he said it would most likely be around 2 - 3 weeks,
So i was just going to hold off calling them until probably Monday next week just to see how things are traveling.

But yes, Andrews kind of have said, but not in the exact words, it is up to me to get it fixed even if it is faulty from brand new and kind of don't want anything to do with it after they have sold it to me.
After a few emails to Andrews, they did have a return order for it from Tasco where Tasco pays the freight, ( same one Tasco sent me ) but Andrews wanted me to pay the freight back to them.
Might be harsh on me saying that, but definitely lost me as a customer.
Old 29-10-2018, 02:21 PM
GeoffreyBarnes (Geoff)

Hi Peter
Well It's been over a month since they received your scope, have you still no news???
Old 30-10-2018, 02:56 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Hi again,
Good news now, Been in contact with Tasco last week to see how things are traveling as it has been over a month,
Apparently the person doing the work was away for a few weeks.
But Telescope base arrived back here today just out of the blue, surprisingly a week after the phone call.
So what they have found is that the motor unit on the base was faulty, pretty much what everyone here was guessing.
So they have replace the entire base, motor unit.
Now just have to wait until the weekend to try it out to see how things look as i am on a night shift roster this week.

looking forward to getting it back out again and getting it working.
Appreciate all the information and patience everyone has had with all the questions along the way.
It is appreciated.
Peter.