Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 22-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Centering objects from your laptop

I’ve just progressed after 8 months from using the SynScan handcontroller, finderscope and DSLR manual remote shutter release to now EQMOD , Stellarium scope ,Stellarium , BYEOS and PHD2 via EQDirect ( laptop direct to mount )

My issue is trying to centre objects like nebula, clusters etc.. that only have faint stars in the field , with no finderscope now it’s extremely difficult. I’ve been using BYEOS to take 1 image , see where it is ( hopefully in the FOV of DSLR sensor ) and use EQMOD slew control to centre it blind folded ( hit and miss ) can take 5 or 6 goes to centre it (waisting time)

Even using the sync feature on Stellarium scope needs a finderscope ( wide field ) to see if your close.Bright stars are easy to get a good alignment using sync features but how do you know your centred on a faint nebula or cluster etc...

I have replaced my finderscopevwith a 50mm guide scope on my 150mm newt to get started with PHD2.Trying other options I installed my 20mm illuminated reticle eyepiece in the guidescope hoping to use it as a finder but it’s backbreaking trying to get your head down look through the end of it and sight your target plus I’m at the laptop then move back and forth from the scope ( time waisting again )

I can’t keep the handcontroller with EQMOD as PC Direct mode doesn’t work via EQMOD on a USB serial adapter ( Keyspan ) spent a whole weekend trying to connect to the mount . As soon as I installed the Shoestring USB2EQ5 cable and driver I could connect straight to the mount from the laptop and control it using Stellarium scope , Stellarium and EQMOD. So I guess I’m now bound to laptop to align, goto and image.

On another note I’ve connected PHD2 to ensure the ZWO camera and mount are talking to the laptop which they are but haven’t started setting up for guiding yet ( my next hurdle)

Using my Synscan to align and centre together with BYEOS to image was easy ,but I realise I cant keep the handcontroller and EQMOD goto align plus autoguide at the same time ( it’s either one or the other )

Still a novice and still learning

Any feedback , advice and comments most welcome and appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 22-08-2018, 10:22 AM
bojan
amateur

I have my mount controlled via ASCOM, using CdC... it is much easier - I simply go to nearby bright star, manually correct the aim, SYNC and then GoTo desired object.
Old 22-08-2018, 01:56 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Martin,
Surprised to hear your problems with EQMod and the SYnscan hand controller.
I have the Keyspan serial to USB and can control using EQMOd through the hand controller
Somethings missing......
Old 22-08-2018, 02:13 PM
chuckywiz (Ben)

May i suggest seeing as how you are getting to the point of itvall working you look at something like sequence generator pro and download the platesolving files while your at it.

At least that will fix your centreing issues and will also assist with better focus etc.

Unfortunately the limitations you have are always going to be present when trying to image with things like BYEOS as unless its super bright like orion etc then your just guessing which way to adjust the mount to centre an object.

Ben
Old 22-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Imme (Jon)

Without a doubt take the small step forward to plate solving.
APT or SGP both support it.
Once setup up all you need do is plug in the coordinates of an object and within a couple minutes you will end up within a few pixels of it.
You will never look back....

When I was using a DSLR I used APT (astrophotography Tool) for imaging/plate solving and PHD2 for guiding.
Old 22-08-2018, 02:36 PM
chuckywiz (Ben)

One other thing you could try is buying a wireless xbox controller. It will connect to eqmod so you can drive your scope with that.
Old 22-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Chapstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
Without a doubt take the small step forward to plate solving.
APT or SGP both support it.
Once setup up all you need do is plug in the coordinates of an object and within a couple minutes you will end up within a few pixels of it.
You will never look back....

When I was using a DSLR I used APT (astrophotography Tool) for imaging/plate solving and PHD2 for guiding.
+1 - automated imaging, multiple targets in a night, plate solving + SGP is amazing.
Old 22-08-2018, 08:34 PM
NorthernLight (Max)
Settled

Astrotortilla integrates with BackyardEOS; PHD integrates with BackyardEOS and it's ASCOM compatible, so you can platesolve, dither and push your scope around through BYEOS. I find myself mostly shooting one object per night from east to west with a meridian flip at some point, which I have to find a more elegant way of doing (atm I park home, unpack and tell Stellarium where to go). Because of the meridian flip, PHD needs to be recalibrated as the mount behaves differently from east to west and I need a new guidestar. Plus I am doing the occasional dark frame. What I am trying to say is: how do people automate multiple targets all through the night without having to manually intervene? And if you manually intervene, why use sequence generator?
PS: when using EQDIR (shoestring), download the driver from Stark Labs. When using a serial-USB adapter (non-Keyspan) under Windows 10, download the Windows 7 version of the Prolific driver (I almost bought a Keyspan until I found the trick). Put your hand controller in a box and leave it there, you won't need it anymore. I couldn't get Stellarium to work with Stellariumscope as well, You need the last version of Stellarium that Stellariumscope is compatible with (0.13 I think). Astrotortilla was a pain to set up but Ken knows all about it and there is a thread here on ISS with all the details, just search it. Lastly, get a polemaster and keep your rig assembled by the door to your imaging spot, leave all the wires on the USB hub and keep it in a box with your transformer on multi board. That way you only have to carried it out, plug the multi board in and connected one USB cable to your laptop. That's the closest you can get to living the dream: a permanent obs.
Old 22-08-2018, 10:24 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Max,
I took some lunar images earlier tonight and I’m now doing some clusters
I found if I build a good 5 to 8 point model across both sides of the meridian with the Stellarium sync feature my goto pointing is not to bad ( just inside the DSLR FOV )
I also found a feature on BYEOS called HD which can improve your live view
So I guess I will wait till the next dark and image some nebula and see how close I can get with Stellarium
Autoguiding is next with PHD2 , and your right probably only 1 or 2 objects a session where as now I can image 4 or 5 objects with up to 1 minute subs unguided

I have no view of the SCP so I use drift or Synscan PA routine to get under 10 to 15 arc sec error which good enough

My OBS location is only temporary as I set up in 2 locations 220km apart

Thanks for your detailed response

Much appreciated !!