Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 21-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Mount Hub Pro Killed by Windows Update?

Anyone else using the old Mount Hub Pro finding it no longer recognised after the last windows update? Same thing on different computers. They updated one day after each other and that's the sequence in which it stopped being a recognised device, so there was a period of time where it worked on the non-updated computer.

I'd ask on the HitecAstro forums, but there don't seem to be any.

If that's it, I guess that was an expensive update :-/

Thinking if I can't get this working again I'll need to buy a Moonlite Mini V2, build a fan controller and that Arduino Dew heater (which at least incorporates sensors to determine the actual dew point and heating required).

*sigh

Markus
Old 21-05-2018, 06:52 PM
StuTodd

Hi Markus.
The W10 drivers are at https://www.hitecastro.co.uk/index.p.../mount-hub-pro

Uninstalling the USB driver and plugging it back in after rebooting usually works if all else fails.

Hope the driver update works?
Old 28-05-2018, 01:39 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Thanks Stu,

I did have the latest software, but I think that's all it is - the software interface. According to the manual it doesn't need any specific drivers. Nevertheless, I uninstalled and reinstalled. No luck. Device not recognised due to possible malfunction. I'll try on another computer tomorrow.

Best

Markus
Old 28-05-2018, 07:22 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

The weakest part of my system - and also the most essential is the Hitech Astro Mount Hub Pro - hitting the connect button can be really hit and miss. If it doesn't connect it often comes down to the order in which you connect the power and USB.

Chris
Old 28-05-2018, 03:40 PM
vlazg (George)

Hi Markus, I use the HiTech Astro and the latest update has not affected it but I do not plug in until the computer is turned on and ready and always use the same USB port.
Good luck
Old 28-05-2018, 04:35 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Hi Markus,

Have you checked the device manager in Windows to see exactly what com port your hitecastro USB connection is using. Once that is known, then ensure that you select the correct com port in your hitecastro software.

The above is assuming the USB sets itself up as a com port.

Cheers,
Damien.
Old 28-05-2018, 10:13 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Hm. Seems to be working again on one computer. Luckily it's the laptop I take observing, so that's good. It was a combination of having the focuser switched to manual (should have picked up on that, duh!), and the scope fan not quite making contact. They're the only two things I had plugged in, so it seemed like everything had suddenly stopped working all at once.

Still no idea what the issue is with my desktop computer. Maybe it's the hub it's going through. Hmmm.

BTW, do you guys route USB3 devices through your MHP and take the speed hit, or do you run a separate USB3 hub?

Best,

Markus
Old 29-05-2018, 06:17 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

That's a good question and one I had reason to test recently but didn't understand the results!

I started doing some planetary imaging for the first time using the ZWO 120 which has USB3 onboard. Normally I use it as a guidescope plugged in to the mounthub pro which is of course USB 2.0.

With planetary though, frame rate becomes important and I assumed that would be affected connecting through the mount hub pro rather directly to the USB3 on the Intel NUC computer, but actually the frame rate was unaffected. Not sure why it wasn't higher with USB3 direct.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Hm. Seems to be working again on one computer. Luckily it's the laptop I take observing, so that's good. It was a combination of having the focuser switched to manual (should have picked up on that, duh!), and the scope fan not quite making contact. They're the only two things I had plugged in, so it seemed like everything had suddenly stopped working all at once.

Still no idea what the issue is with my desktop computer. Maybe it's the hub it's going through. Hmmm.

BTW, do you guys route USB3 devices through your MHP and take the speed hit, or do you run a separate USB3 hub?

Best,

Markus
Old 30-05-2018, 06:48 PM
Stonius (Markus)

That's strange. I tested five configurations with my ASI290MM;

1) As a guide camera setup running through the ASI1600MM in-built hub (USB2.0) and then into the Mount Hub Pro. I could only get 20fps @ 10bit and 10 @ 12bit (16bit files in Firecapture).

2) I tried plugging the 290 direct to the MHP, removing the USB2 hub on the 1600. Same result; 20/10 fps

3) tried plugging directly into the Laptop's USB3 port. Suddenly the frame rates were 170/80, which is pretty much the spec.

4) Tried going through an Mbeat USB2/3 hub with no loss in speed. Again, 170/80. This is reported framerate. When you actually hit record, you only get ~140fps which I'm still pretty happy with.

5) Recording direct to external USB3 disk plugged directly into the computer's other USB3 port. Again theoretical framerate reported by Firecapture was 170/80. Real Framerates were a little lower at around 100fps.

Enabling the experimental RAM Buffer setting to 1GB allowed real local frame rates of 157fps and 140fps to disk.

That's a really long-winded way of saying that the MHP does seem to slow down the frame rates, at least on my system. I'm thinking it may simply become a heater, fan and focuser controller for me, assuming my cheap Kogan USB3 hub doesn't die from its first glimpse of a dewy evening.

Cheers

Markus