Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters

Old 19-04-2016, 08:23 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstation View Post
DHL shipped my pair of eyepieces from Japan to Sydney and finally to Brisbane in 3 days where they passed it on to Australia Post for the final 250km of the journey. They've now been sitting in the Underwood facility since Sunday with an estimated delivery date of Thursday... How can one mob get it so right and the other so wrong.
My 10mm was courier to my door ,no interaction from Australia Post and arrived Saturday afternoon ,speaks volumes
Old 20-04-2016, 12:48 AM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

XW's....'nuff said !!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (XW's (3).JPG)
75.5 KB46 views
Old 20-04-2016, 12:05 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

Just had my xw5 arrive this morning. Not sure if auspost were involved as I didn't answer the door. Ordered on 14th, shipped on 18th and received on 20th..

Makes me wanna order the 3.5mm... But I've spent enough this month because of this thread and already have enough glass at the shorter focal lengths!
Old 20-04-2016, 01:02 PM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia8 View Post
Just had my xw5 arrive this morning. Not sure if auspost were involved as I didn't answer the door. Ordered on 14th, shipped on 18th and received on 20th..

Makes me wanna order the 3.5mm... But I've spent enough this month because of this thread and already have enough glass at the shorter focal lengths!
Congrats mate!
Old 20-04-2016, 02:26 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

Hmm, the Amazon box was fairly crushed at one end but the EP box (Silver Ricoh box, as per my XW7mm), is not damaged due to them shrink wrapping it to a hard piece of carboard so it stayed centered... Seems like it will be a cloudy night, but I'm going to try and test this just to be sure .
Old 20-04-2016, 03:45 PM
dreamstation (James)

Despite my tracking with Australia Post estimating delivery for tomorrow, I had a nice little package arrive today. I believe the only reason they had anything to do with my delivery is because there's no regional DHL depots. It changed hands in Brisbane because that's the closest one.

The eyepieces were packaged well with no visible damaging to any of the packaging. The boxes inside were mint. The eyepieces are beautiful - they look and feel very well constructed. Hopefully tonight stays clear so I can give them a run
Old 21-04-2016, 05:45 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

would you believe they have dropped the price again,bought the XW7 FOR $309 AUD POSTED
Old 21-04-2016, 06:10 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

JPY 27,772, $322aud for the xw3.5...
Old 21-04-2016, 08:37 PM
dreamstation (James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1963 View Post
would you believe they have dropped the price again,bought the XW7 FOR $309 AUD POSTED
I ordered both the 7 and 10 on April 11 and both were the same price (JPY 25,897) which worked out approximately $310 each AUD. The default seller for the 7 was higher but by clicking on the part where it says 'more buying choices' I was able to change the seller to Amazon.co.jp and then it was the same price as the 10.
Old 21-04-2016, 09:05 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

Can't bring myself to do it lol. 342x in my 10in dob. Don't go that high often enough
Old 22-04-2016, 03:40 AM
bytor666
Cygnus X-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia8 View Post
Can't bring myself to do it lol. 342x in my 10in dob. Don't go that high often enough
That's close to what I would be getting if I get a 3.5mm Pentax XW. Great for double stars or the moon! I'm going to get one eventually !!!

Saves using the barlow!
Old 22-04-2016, 05:00 AM
inertia8 (Australia)

We have the same mirror by the look of it... Come to think of it, we have a fairly similar ep collection and those are the 2 filters I've been eyeing off lately lol
Old 22-04-2016, 04:19 PM
dreamstation (James)

Managed to get in a few hours with the new eyepieces the last 2 nights and both the missus and I were very impressed. They are very comfortable to use although Initially I had some blackout issues but fully extending the eyeguard has completely eliminated that problem. I actually really like how the eyeguard adjusts, though I do like being able to lock it in place on the Delos, something which the XW can't do right?

Wednesday night we compared the 7 XW to the 6 Delos and personally I couldn't see a great deal of difference on Jupiter, though my partner was adamant the 7 XW was the better performer. Lastnight we put the 10 XW in the 2x Powermate and compared to the 6 Delos again and this time I could clearly see the difference. Even at the higher magnification, the XW was a lot sharper with much better contrast which really surprised me after not seeing it on the night before.

I'm contemplating picking up a 5 XW now rather than using the Powermate, but I want to try the 7 XW in there first to see if it's worth hanging on to. Being able to Powermate both the 7 and 10 would be handy, but if 3.5 is pushing it too far I'd much rather have the 5 instead.

What great eyepieces
Old 22-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I'd certainly jump on these eye pieces if money would allow
Old 22-04-2016, 05:16 PM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Managed to get in a few hours with the new eyepieces the last 2 nights and both the missus and I were very impressed. They are very comfortable to use although Initially I had some blackout issues but fully extending the eyeguard has completely eliminated that problem. I actually really like how the eyeguard adjusts, though I do like being able to lock it in place on the Delos, something which the XW can't do right?

Wednesday night we compared the 7 XW to the 6 Delos and personally I couldn't see a great deal of difference on Jupiter, though my partner was adamant the 7 XW was the better performer. Lastnight we put the 10 XW in the 2x Powermate and compared to the 6 Delos again and this time I could clearly see the difference. Even at the higher magnification, the XW was a lot sharper with much better contrast which really surprised me after not seeing it on the night before.

I'm contemplating picking up a 5 XW now rather than using the Powermate, but I want to try the 7 XW in there first to see if it's worth hanging on to. Being able to Powermate both the 7 and 10 would be handy, but if 3.5 is pushing it too far I'd much rather have the 5 instead.

What great eyepieces
I use the 2.5x powermate on 20 and 10mm XW's and have found no image degradation whatsoever which is a testament to both the XW's and the powermate and now i have bought the 7mm and will be interesting to see how that fairs stepping down to 2.8mm ,I have no doubt that even at that magnification it will work ,i have the XF 12mm as well so with the powermate gives me 4.8mm so i will not be buying the 5mm,just awesome eyepieces
Old 22-04-2016, 05:59 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Quote:
I actually really like how the eyeguard adjusts, though I do like being able to lock it in place on the Delos, something which the XW can't do right?
Hi James,

They don't have a "locking system" as such like the Delos, but they don't need one either. The twist system is designed to be tight enough so that once you get it set to the right height it will not move. Just set them to the correct height for your own personal comfort and they will stay put. Mine have not moved in over 12 years.

Cheers,
John B
Old 22-04-2016, 08:49 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

I had an XL 21mm that I bought used and the eyecup would spin freely. Not sure if that was a shortcoming of the XL line or just a sign that it had been used a lot.

The eyecup on the 10mm XW I had wouldn't move unless you wanted it to. Easier to adjust than the Delos when the need arises.
Old 22-04-2016, 08:52 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Linking to my thread about Tele Vue having a 15% sale, I just realised that even if Bintel reduce the DeLite (not the Delos) price by 15% it will still be higher than the price of an XW shipped from Japan. Amazing.
Old 23-04-2016, 06:14 PM
dreamstation (James)

Bit the bullet and ordered the 5 last night as well. Couldn't resist at that price.

Thanks John for the clarification on adjusting the eyeguard.
Old 23-04-2016, 10:58 PM
inertia8 (Australia)

Congrats.

I tried my 5mm tonight in the little sw130p, the xw's are really too heavy for this little scope so it was not a satisfying session with the image taking a long time to settle, but I confirmed it was crisp enough looking at mars, Saturn and the moon. Can't wait to be able to use it in my 10in dob, but I'm a week or so away from being able to lift that out into the yard.