Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-08-2018, 07:21 AM
Gavin1234

Blown out cores

I took more frames of triffid/lagoon last night and two 10 min shots of Orion (was all I could get before sunrise).

Really over exposed core on Orion which is a shame because I really like the rest of the photo. Is there anyway of fixing that? It actually came out of dss like that before I’d even touched it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (F1382896-0CD9-46CC-A05C-AACEF20D4B24.jpeg)
118.3 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (F6DAB12B-47E8-43F5-A160-F0AEA1B03E4A.jpg)
222.1 KB30 views
Old 14-08-2018, 09:44 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin1234 View Post
I took more frames of triffid/lagoon last night and two 10 min shots of Orion (was all I could get before sunrise).

Really over exposed core on Orion which is a shame because I really like the rest of the photo. Is there anyway of fixing that? It actually came out of dss like that before I’d even touched it.
10min is too long. So try various exposures.
10s, 20s, 30s for the core, 5min for the bright bits and 10min for the outer fainter nebulosity then layer and blend all in the final composition.
Old 14-08-2018, 01:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Gavin
I was imaging the same and ran into the same problem so its to somewhat to be expected.
If this helps I have adopted the approach where I realise that my pricessing skill is going to get better so collect all the data you can fir the time you csn process better.
As Mark said and he really does know gather a variety of exposure times and get detail of each region and you can fit it all together.
I am trying to learn that aspect myself.
Orion?
You are a champion but you are best going to bed at 2 am and waiting for Orion.
Good luck.
Alex
Old 14-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Gavin1234

Thanks guys. I just downloaded PixInsight so I’m watching tutorials for that at the moment.

Yeah it was a long night Alex but I did go to bed and then got up early to get a few shots of Orion. It doesn’t come up above the roof of my house till about 5am.

I’m collecting and labelling a lot of data at the moment so hopefully I can revisit it all when my processing skills improve. I don’t know how to do layers yet.
Old 14-08-2018, 04:53 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin1234 View Post
Thanks guys. I just downloaded PixInsight so I’m watching tutorials for that at the moment.

Yeah it was a long night Alex but I did go to bed and then got up early to get a few shots of Orion. It doesn’t come up above the roof of my house till about 5am.

I’m collecting and labelling a lot of data at the moment so hopefully I can revisit it all when my processing skills improve. I don’t know how to do layers yet.
Old 14-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Gavin1234

Perfect. Thanks Marc