Old 19-06-2018, 08:46 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Been busy again ...

Pictures tell the story ... done on the very, very cheap.
6" F6 Travelscope.
The eyepiece ( 8-24 Lanthanum zoom ) costs more than the rest of the scope all put together and that was second hand. Having access to the 'The Shed' workshop I've got linishers and scroll saws etc to get a much better finish to projects. Just have to add a couple of external guides to the rocker base. It will live in the car for those rare occasions out in the wop wops at night. Just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Bag07136.jpg)
186.2 KB25 views
Click for full-size image (Inside07137.jpg)
184.3 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (Base07139.jpg)
162.0 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (Assd07141.jpg)
195.9 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (base07142.jpg)
187.9 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (Bits07138.jpg)
187.9 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (Diag07143.jpg)
138.7 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (Foc07144.jpg)
156.1 KB34 views
Old 19-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Minimilism is alive and well, very nice concept, congrats on a very nice build. Is the, what looks like an old tripod leg as the secondary / focuser strut, sturdy enough when moving the scope around the sky to hold collimation. What are the dimensions of the case that the scope fits into, almost looks back packable. Also , how much does the whole lot weigh.
Have an similar project in mind but either an 8" f5 or 10 f 4.8 and using 2 or 3 struts to support the secondary cage.
Old 19-06-2018, 09:57 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Hi Jeff,
Yep, 2 sections of an old rather sturdy tripod leg. Locks in very securely and doesn't move at all. Red paint marker is a rough indicator of stop point for focussing but obviously a lot of latitude. Had to stiffen the focusser plastic base though.
The small yellow handled screwdriver is to align the mirror.

Case is just a standard airline roller travel case. It would pack smaller if you took the focusser strut out. If I was flying I'd carry the loose bits in a carry on and get some undies and a T-Shirt into the case ...

Case and scope weighs 7.4 kg, case is 3.3 kg of that so scope is about 4 kg.

I've got an 8F6 mirror but it's in an Astrograph at present (these things change regularly). This project came together after I did a trip away last year to an unexpected dark sky site and only had my binocs. Good though they were I wish I'd had a small scope with me.