Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2019, 03:42 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Lagoon and Triffy

I tried drizzling and after a long time ended up with this..I should look at it more before I post but I gotta go to bed. 80mm zwo heq5 unguided..this was with data I was going to throw out look top left..the stars were dashes when I started but I just wanted to see what I could do with such a mess.
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (final.jpg)
205.3 KB134 views
Old 08-08-2019, 03:55 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Maybe without the dashes.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20190808_035405.jpg)
37.7 KB77 views
Old 08-08-2019, 08:48 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Got some nice detail there in the Lagoon. That is with the ASI1600 LRGB?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:11 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

I like how you framed the first one it kinda looks like the Lagoon is marking its territory. “Come any closer Trifid and I’ll gobble you up”. The second one would look really nice as a portrait up on a wall. Drizzling’s great for enlargements. As you found out though it can be rather demanding on the system especially if you up the scale factor too much. Do you plan to do a big print or are you just experimenting?
Old 08-08-2019, 11:00 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Got some nice detail there in the Lagoon. That is with the ASI1600 LRGB?
Thanks Paul.
Yes ZWO and LBGR...and HA.
Alex
Old 08-08-2019, 11:07 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
I like how you framed the first one it kinda looks like the Lagoon is marking its territory. “Come any closer Trifid and I’ll gobble you up”. The second one would look really nice as a portrait up on a wall. Drizzling’s great for enlargements. As you found out though it can be rather demanding on the system especially if you up the scale factor too much. Do you plan to do a big print or are you just experimenting?
Thanks. The data was not flash in a few respects...I still need to correct some tilt or spacing but when I looked I must have just looked at top left corner cause the lot nearly got deleted, it was going to be deleted when I got around to it but I thought I would try a drizzle and push startools and myself..all at once..and try a few ideas...with drizzle everything takes longer which is understandable but I think it was probably the key to getting anything out of such poor data.

No plans for a wall hanging but perhaps this is a memorable capture being the first drizzle
Thanks again.
Alex
Old 08-08-2019, 11:18 AM
casstony

I like the brighter colours in the first post Alex.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Drizzling does make a difference overall doesnt it although it does slow things up a bit the outcome is finer, love the first one
Old 08-08-2019, 12:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Nik.
Yes but slow often means good..like I am slow but I am good.
I am happy overall as I tried a new system...main point was to open each stacked photo in startools and do nothing more than crop it and save it...in the past I would be half way thru and either lost power had to stop...all sorts of reasons..so you lost the auto crop thing..getting them all cropped and saved ment I did not have to worry if the Genny stopped or I stopped...also I seemed to get the colour combining down in Photoshop better than earlier attempts..not saying it's there yet but I feel I reached a new level of incompetence.
But it really takes so long..I was stacking all day and because I was dog tied made so many mistakes requiring restarts...another thing..I now keep a little list to check off what I have done during processing in startools..so often I come back to the lappy and can't remember where I was in the process...did I bin that? I know my memory probably is not flash but I think losing track has more to do with the repetition...anyways I am working up a nice list to enable me to tell at a glance where things are up to...like doing this I was smoking some sausages ( which turned out beyond belief) so back and forth to the point where all the sausages looked the same and I would not know where I was in the processing..a good check list made it so much better...I may do one for turning sausages as well.
Alex
Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
That a really nice wide field neb combo with your 80mm !!

Are you going to set up some guiding ?

If you want to guide with your 8” f5 just put a 50mm guide scope ( Orion ) and a ZWO ASI120MM camera in your finder scope shoe run PHD2 and your off and running
I can help you with the settings if you wish

Martin
Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM
RyanJones

+1 for the first image Alex. Beautiful framing and great contrast in the ghostly outer nebulosity on lagoon. A really lovely image Alex, well done.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Alex
That a really nice wide field neb combo with your 80mm !!

Are you going to set up some guiding ?

If you want to guide with your 8” f5 just put a 50mm guide scope ( Orion ) and a ZWO ASI120MM camera in your finder scope shoe run PHD2 and your off and running
I can help you with the settings if you wish

Martin
Thanks Martin. I have all the guide stuff but because I am concentrating on finishing the observatory I am not concerned will my scope camera guiding to do list. But when the time comes I am happy that you may be able to help out.
Alec
Old 08-08-2019, 01:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJones View Post
+1 for the first image Alex. Beautiful framing and great contrast in the ghostly outer nebulosity on lagoon. A really lovely image Alex, well done.
Thank you Ryan. It was just a fling with what I could easily set up. I was trying to test stuff while getting ready for M31.
Alex
Old 08-08-2019, 03:18 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Very nice Alex. That camera and filters separates the central and outer lagoon nicely
Old 08-08-2019, 04:47 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Chris. I must say that I do not regret buying the camera...it's drawback is the additional effort...ordinarily I would have taken O11 and S11 whether it needed it or not...so multiples the work by 7 fold...but no worries I like the pressure of getting it right.
Alex
Old 09-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
I sent you a post in the Drizzle post regarding Startools Binning
Have a look
Hope it helps
Martin
Old 09-08-2019, 02:43 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you Martin for putting all that together in the other thread and for being so considerate to put a direction here...I would have seen it there but then I may not have but I think I would have and certainly now I will see it and read it and perhaps although remaining a mug I will learn more.
Alex
Old 10-08-2019, 11:25 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

Nice one Alex.

(Siril has a simplified 2 x Drizzle. I'm not sure I can tell the difference. I like to kid myself it does work. Load the huge image into ST and Bin / downsize).
Old 13-08-2019, 07:55 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Nice, nice, nice!

Lovely wide field pic, Alex

Mate, just to be pedantic (), you've forgotten to mention that your picture also include the globular NGC 6544 (to the bottom right of M8), the little open cluster BO 14 (between the Lagoon and Triffy), and another open cluster NGC 6546 (to the bottom left of M8).

This is the area of the sky that is No 1 on my Must Sketch list at the moment for my 8" f/4 dobbie. I can get a 3° TFOV, just a bit bigger than the FOV of your photo. Enough to also capture M21 as well. This is a terrifyingly BUSY scene. Nebulosity aplenty, stars, dark, light, swirls, lines, detail, detail, detail! Blooming gorgeous.

Great pic, mate

Alex.
Old 14-08-2019, 08:19 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thank you very much Alex from you I regard all commentary as expert and beneficial.
Alas I get too interested in the pretty photos and neglect to add a reasonable description of what it is that is in an image...there is so much to cover and I hope in time to add the really relevant details as to what we are actually looking at...
Pedantic is not something to apologise for ..pedantic is the ideal as it demands detail and coverage of all that is important.. It is a quality that all humans should embrace or at least aspire to...I am at the present I little overwhelmed in so far as I am trying to do more than I can manage really... I like to offer all sorts of excuses but the reality is I just have to improve my game...I am personally happy with producing something, which is beyond my once lower level expectations, but in reality I must do more and improve and stop offering excuses that this or that did not work etc...I certainly look forward to seeing your artistic renditions of this region..any region in fact...your work is inspirational ..I should follow your fine example and do some sketching...I am capable but its one of those things I take for granted and as such do not take advantage of what others may see as a gift...when I get the two scopes working I may do some as I really get off on doing things the way the ancients had to do things.
Thanks again for your input your comments I treasure..I hope you know that.
alex