Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 04-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Superb_Universe

Lightbulb Expert Advise Sought on Astrophotography Setup

Dear Friends,

I am a silent reader of this forum for the long-time. And i know we have lots of experts here. After spending some of the useful as well as wasting $$$, i am back here to sought some help from you.
=================================== ===========
I am using following gear.
- Orion ED80 APO Refractor on Sirius EQG Goto mount.
- Orion finder scope 7x50
- 1.25" diagonal
- EP: 10mm Spear Walter - Wide Angle
- Televue barlow 2.5x, Celestron barlow 2x
- Colour filters for EP

Toshiba laptop with USB to serial connector has following softwares
- PHP guiding & Guide master
- Celestron Registax and Amcap
- EQmod
- Ascom drivers
- Stellarium

Cameras:
- Leica V-lux1 - Fix Lens - DSLR (Without the Bulb mode - Max shutter delay is 30 sec) (Photo quality is quite good: http://myvraj.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html and http://www.flickr.com/photos/frausg )
- Web-cam with 1" diameter..I would like to pad some rubber around and use it for the guiding if possible.
- Celestron Nextimager - It is showing green-and black straight lines in recording..so i guess it needs some repairing.

=================================== ===========
I have used this scope for viewing purpose at the moment. And i am impressed with the view of moon, saturn, pleiades , M42 etc..

My feeling is i have all the tools; now i have to find a way to use them efficiently. Again i will welcome the comments from the expert, if i have to add any other item in my inventory.

For Astrophotos, i want to shoot pleiades , M42, planets, moon, double star etc..

Q1- Should i go on Afocal photography path using my leica or prime focus photography using camera like Canon 450D or go for SBIG cameras??

Q2 - I always spend more around 30 minutes in polar alignment and three star alignement and so on.. Is there any suggestion for the permanent setup (marking on the ground)..So that i can put my EQG straight on it for perfect polar alignment??

Q3 - Is there any other accessories are needed for complete astrophoto setup?

Q4 - I am planning to buy EQDIR cable and Orion Deluxe Off-Axis Guider. Any suggesting in this regard? Do i need separate guide scope??

Q5 - With this scope; Is it possible to do deepsky photography?

Q6 - I am also planning to buy some new EPs for viewing.. Should i go for 2" or 1.25" path?

Q7 - Can i use my finder scope as a guide scope?

Pls note; i am still struggling in this domain. Your detail answers will be appreciated.

Thanking You
Pratik

Last edited by Superb_Universe; 04-02-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:15 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

I have an ED80 so I'll answer what I can and let other more experienced users fill in the blanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb_Universe View Post
Q2 - I always spend more around 30 minutes in polar alignment and three star alignement and so on.. Is there any suggestion for the permanent setup (marking on the ground)..So that i can put my EQG straight on it for perfect polar alignment??
in this regard? Do i need separate guide scope??
Marks on the ground for tripod legs always help. Or maybe get a pier done with a notch to south. I wouldn't recommend OAG on an ED80. Would be a bit heavy onthe focuser. It's a light scope. Finder's fine. No flexure there.
Quote:
Q5 - With this scope; Is it possible to do deepsky photography?
Yes the ED80 is a fine scope. You might want to look into a WO FF type IV to get a perfect field for astro photo.
Quote:
Q7 - Can i use my finder scope as a guide scope?
Yes you definitely can.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Superb_Universe

Thanks Marc.

I am planning to use my existing pc webcamera for auto-guiding, i have to find it out a way to connect it to the finder scope.

For imaging, looking for a DSLR body (With live view preferred), may buy it from here or ebay.

Regds
Pratik
Old 10-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

lurking with interest because i have basically the same setup
Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Superb_Universe

Your experience

Mick,

Pls share your experience with me.

Do you have any successful astro imaging experience by now? or are you still setting up the gadgets?

Regds
Pratik
Old 11-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Most definitely still setting up. have aligned the rig a few times and done some visual observing. My tracking still seems to be out. I will eventually be seeking to capture photons with a Nikon DSLR.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Just my point of view,

Dont bother with a DSLR unless you are truely just wanting to snap off a few quick shots for personal gratification. If on the other hand you would like to do it a bit more seriously and are genuinely interested (i always say be true to yourself how much time are you willing to dedicate) your only option is to go with a dedicated CCD camera, QHY8 are a great starter cam at an affordable price, for approximately 700 more the sbig 8300 is a great camera that will last you along time (with a good resale value if you decide to move up again).

I agree with mark with your OAG, on such a small scope with a (don't take it personally) budget focuser you will have poor results unless you spend 400 dollars and upgrade the focuser! I myself have made what i call a puck that turns the back of a SW Finderscope into a 1 1/4" ep holder to that my Meade DSI is now pretty much attached 24/7 I have great guiding no matter what.

A cheper alternative to the WO FF is the Baadar MPCC (Multi Purpose Coma Corrector) I have had good success with it though you will have to adjust the spacing to make it right for you.

This is a photo of the Christmastree/cone/hubble's variable neb that i took at the start of the year with wind conditions being absolutely poor (average wind speed of 40km/h with gusts upto 60) using a ED80/EQ6pro/Canon 40d/Meade DSI finderguider/MPCC

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/w...reecluster.png
Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Hi Pratik

My thoughts only;

1. Prime focus is the way to go and if you already have a DSLR, use it to learn...you might hate astrophotography so at least you will not have a heap of useless gear to get rid of at a great loss.... If you like it then move up to a dedicated CCD after you have produced some nice images with the DSLR.

2. Buy a good compass and a program called "alignmaster" Very accurate polar alighnment in 2 minutes without the fuss of drift alignment. You do not need a camera to use alighnmaster but a 9mm illuminated eye piece is very useful.

3. More then you can poke a stick at. It really depends on the setup you are using. I think an autoguider like the QHY5/orion SS guider is very useful if you plan to do long exposures. (these come with their own software). Oh and a laptop is handy for both 2 and 3 .

4. If you use an off axis guider (OAG) you must take backfocus into account. The orion OAG takes up a fair bit of space (I have one) and adds weight. The more weight you add the better your focuser must be. OAG's are a real pain to use....... It is so much easier to use a seperate scope for guiding and I think Marc's suggestion of a converted finder scope is a good one....bugger all extra weight and you are able to move it around to find a good guide star.

5. Yes I have seen some excellent shots from these scopes. A field flattener will definately help but I dont think the William optics type IV will work as it is made for 3 lens apo scopes. I think the type II is a better choice for doublets....correct me if I am wrong?.

6. 2" EP's only come in longer focal lengths so you will need a combination of both to cover all bases. Main thing is make sure you have a 2" diagonal with a 1.25" adapter so you have a choice of which to use. There is no set formula for this, borrow, beg and steal all the ep's you can and try them in your scope. If it's good, buy one.

Mark
Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmitchell82 View Post
Just my point of view,

Dont bother with a DSLR unless you are truely just wanting to snap off a few quick shots for personal gratification.
You know what, this is rare sage advice, I found a DSLR much harder (unless its modified to hell, filter removal and cooled) for anything other than training-wheel imaging on M42.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
You know what, this is rare sage advice, I found a DSLR much harder (unless its modified to hell, filter removal and cooled) for anything other than training-wheel imaging on M42.

Now you have done it .

Mark
Old 04-03-2010, 11:20 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

... Marki i am not this way (wheres the release valve!)
Old 15-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Superb_Universe

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

In fact i was not aware that this thread has been moved to this location. Only found out now. Glad to see so much responses.

- I will try to connect my webcam to finder scope. And try to use it for guiding.
- I will also follow some of your advise on alignment.
- I am still looking for a reasonable camera. Pls not CCD cam is quite expensive. So might have to go for modded DSLR (second hand) at this stage.

- On saturday, i went out in the night with my Leica V-lux1 and tripod. And really amazed with the amount of stars it has captured in shutter delay mode at 15seconds at ISO-800.

I am taking baby steps in this vast field. Thanks again for your feedback.