Old 21-10-2018, 09:53 AM
TerryC

Canon EOS M5 Mirrorless Camera

After much research I have decided to go with one of these cameras. The advantage of the mirrorless cameras is that they are more compact than their DSLR cousins. The M5 is a much improved version of the EOS-M that has been round for some time. A more recent M6 was released last year but it does not have the electronic viewfinder.

The other big plus is that this model has the same 24 Megapixel sensor as the Canon 80D. This is a cropped (APS-C) sensor but has had some very good reviews in astrophotography circles.

Price is another important factor for me. The Australian supported product can be picked up with a 15-45mm lens for around $1,000 or less.

Last edited by TerryC; 21-10-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 23-10-2018, 09:36 AM
TerryC

Here's an Australian review:

https://www.photoreview.com.au/revie...-canon-eos-m5/

Any comments ?
Old 23-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Terry

I purchased the M6 as a lightweight camera to throw in my camera bag when I am out and about with a big DSLR and DSLR lenses. In this role, I find it a very useful addition to my DSLR photo kit.

I use it with the 15-45mm kit lens (24-70mm FF equivalent) and I received a free detachable electronic VF as part of a Canon promotion.

One thing to be aware of with the M5 is that the flip-out rear LCD flips downwards, so will foul a tripod if that is important to you.

I throw the M6 in a messenger bag when I go into town as a general use camera and it performs admirably. I like the lower profile of the M6, i.e. without the built-in VF of the M5 and so far, haven't really needed my detachable VF, but that is just a personal preference.

Try to get some hands-on in a shop to see the quality of the VF to make sure it meets your needs.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 24-10-2018, 06:52 AM
TerryC

Thanks for your comments Dennis. I avoided the M6 because it does not have an integral electronic view finder and it has a fixed LCD display.

I'm purchasing this primarily for astrophography although you do not appear to have used it for that purpose.
Old 24-10-2018, 07:08 AM
gregbradley

Fuji XT-100 would be a good choice too. Its under $1000 and has a better sensor.

Greg.
Old 24-10-2018, 07:26 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
Thanks for your comments Dennis. I avoided the M6 because it does not have an integral electronic view finder and it has a fixed LCD display.

I'm purchasing this primarily for astrophography although you do not appear to have used it for that purpose.
The M6 does indeed have a flip out rear LCD although it does not swivel like the new EOS R.

I had an original EOS M and did play with it for full disc moon shots through my telescope and it performed extremely well.

I haven't tried deep sky with the M6 so can't comment on its performance.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M6 LCD.jpg)
127.0 KB24 views
Old 24-10-2018, 07:46 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

As examples of what the EOS M3 can do, here is an image of our Moon with the Canon EOS M3, Canon 400mm F5.6L and canon Extender EF II x1.4.

The only other night time shooting I have done with the M3 was photographing the Xmas lights in the Roma St Parklands.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Canon EOS M3 Canon 400 5F6 Ext 1x4 Mk II Crop 1200.jpg)
167.6 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (M3 IMG_1585-Edit Crop 1024.jpg)
168.6 KB44 views
Old 24-10-2018, 08:24 AM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Hi,
My girlfriend has the first version, the Canon EOS M. It perform very well as a companion on our travels around the world. But she is as I'm very interested in astronomy. She also started to take astro photos with that camera, main problem is that is not possible to do time lapse. But after some investigating we find one way to do at least a serie of ten images in a sequence and start it by the remote control.

I have not so many photos yet to display, but here is one where she caught a smoker:
http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/...eids-2016.html

Click on the image and get it in full screen.

Her plan today is to upgrade to the EOS M5, most for the viewfinder. But that camera can also be controlled by a smartphone if I understood it correctly.

/Lars
Old 24-10-2018, 08:49 AM
TerryC

OK good to know that the M6 also has a flip out LCD. The M6 does have a slightly smaller LCD (76mm vs 81mm for the M5). The M6 display also has a lower resolution with 1.04 million dots versus the 1.62 million dots on the M5.

AFAIK, the M, M3, M5 & M6 all have the same 24-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor but they differ in the type of image processor. The M5 and M6 both have the same DIGIC 7 image processor.
Old 24-10-2018, 08:51 AM
TerryC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
As examples of what the EOS M3 can do, here is an image of our Moon with the Canon EOS M3, Canon 400mm F5.6L and canon Extender EF II x1.4.

The only other night time shooting I have done with the M3 was photographing the Xmas lights in the Roma St Parklands.

Cheers

Dennis

Fantastic moon shot, thanks for posting
Old 24-10-2018, 08:58 AM
TerryC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrofriend View Post
Hi,

Her plan today is to upgrade to the EOS M5, most for the viewfinder. But that camera can also be controlled by a smartphone if I understood it correctly.

/Lars
Hi Lars, I managed to get an M5 with Australian 2 year warranty on Ebay for $879 including the 15-45mm zoom and EF mount adapter thanks to a 20% discount.

Yes that's correct, you can use your mobile to control the M5.
Old 24-10-2018, 02:45 PM
Astrofriend (Lars)

Hi Terry,
Thanks for the information about M5. The prices are low now, maybe because of Canon releasing its full frame mirror less camera.

I have just read that the Magic Lanthern software can be run on the older version of Canon EOS M, the M and M2 models if I got it right. According to that the ML time lapse function should be possible to run in the camera.

Anybody who have tested this?

/Lars
Old 25-10-2018, 12:09 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

Hi Terry

One thing to keep in mind is that I dont believe that camera will work with third party applications like BackyardEos so it might be harder to do longer exposures and sequences with it.
Old 26-10-2018, 09:52 AM
TerryC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icearcher View Post
Hi Terry

One thing to keep in mind is that I dont believe that camera will work with third party applications like BackyardEos so it might be harder to do longer exposures and sequences with it.
If you use manual exposure and go to the BULB setting in the shutter speed range you can keep the exposure open for as long as you like
Old 26-10-2018, 12:10 PM
TerryC

If you use the RC-6 remote you don't need to hold down the button continuously, just once for open and once to close. Alternatively you can use the Canon Connect app to do the same thing
Old 26-10-2018, 08:11 PM
Premordial (Max)
Pale green dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrofriend View Post
Hi Terry,
Thanks for the information about M5. The prices are low now, maybe because of Canon releasing its full frame mirror less camera.

I have just read that the Magic Lanthern software can be run on the older version of Canon EOS M, the M and M2 models if I got it right. According to that the ML time lapse function should be possible to run in the camera.

Anybody who have tested this?

/Lars
I've used an Eos M with Magic Lantern for a few years now for deep sky astro. ML will let you specify X number of photos with a given exposure, and wait X amount of time between photos. Haven't found a way to control the Eos M using the PC, but ML does the job for me.
Old 26-10-2018, 10:08 PM
TerryC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premordial View Post
I've used an Eos M with Magic Lantern for a few years now for deep sky astro. ML will let you specify X number of photos with a given exposure, and wait X amount of time between photos. Haven't found a way to control the Eos M using the PC, but ML does the job for me.
Not available for the M5 (which this thread is about). I see from their website that ML is not approved or endorsed by Canon.
Old 27-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

The Canon EOS M5 Brochure indicates that you can use the Canon Remote Interval Timer TC-80N3 with the EOS M5 by adapting it with the Canon Remote Control Adapter RA-3.

So, it would appear that you "should" be able to put the M5 in Manual Mode, select Bulb and the TC-80N3 / RA-3 combo "should" drive it from there?

Cheers

Dennis

EDIT:

See here:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/...spx?News=15412
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Canon M5.jpg)
142.2 KB17 views
Old 28-10-2018, 07:06 PM
TerryC

Good find Dennis. Here's some info on the settings:

1. Delay / Self Timer (DELAY)
Just like the self timer on your camera. The timer remote switch allows you to set any delay (in 1 second increments) up to 99 hours, 99 minutes and 99 seconds.

2. Interval Timer (INTVL)
The Interval Timer can be set to any time period up to 100 hours as well. If you set it to 10 minutes, for example, one exposure will be taken every 10 minutes until either the film runs out or the Exposure Count limit has been reached.

3. BULB/Long Exposure (LONG)
It allows you to take time exposures up to 100 hours long.

4. Exposure Count (N)
This setting allows you to set the times of exposures that will be taken, up to a total 399 times. For example, if you set it to 30 times, then the exposure will be only taken 30 times.