Old 18-10-2020, 06:58 PM
SuperG

Skywatcher Esprit 80ED or Saxon FCD100 102mm

I'm having a hard time here trying to decide; they're both triplets. I'll only be doing DSO astro imaging and currently with a cooled IMX294 sensor.

On the one hand, the Esprit appears to be well made and apparently has a built in flattener. The 400mm FL does mean I'll be undersampling a little.

On the other hand, I don't see too many of these Saxons in the wild. But they are a rebranded Explore Scientific right? It's got more aperture and I have a 0.8x Orion reducer to use with it. So the focal length will be just south of 600mm. The build is unknown to me.

Any comments or suggestions?
Old 18-10-2020, 07:45 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

In theory the IMX295 would be a bit under sampled however it is not unreasonable. I shot this with an ASI294 at 336mm focal length, the smaller stars are a little blocky but you need to pixel peep to notice. That was using a Stellarvue SV70T scope and reducer borrowed from a friend.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/r87zyl/0/
Old 20-10-2020, 07:41 PM
SuperG

Thankyou. At 400mm, the esprit 80ed Might not be too bad then. I should say I’m using the colour variety of that sensor. But the extra aperture is something to consider with the Saxon.