Old 30-01-2011, 08:17 PM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

What is going on in my Image ?

I have never posted an image at this stage as I am not happy with my picture results. I am having trouble getting my wedge aligned and just took this shot last night to have a look at the amount of rotation I was getting. I have an LX200GPS 10" with a 6.3 focal reducer at the back of the scope, followed by a visual back with my Canon 300D DSLR camera. I took a 60 second ISO 800 shot and got this blue artifact and ring around the star... Looks funky, but what is the cause of this effect and how do I make it go away?

Seeing Stars
Mardy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Picture 008 [1600x1200].jpg)
184.3 KB69 views
Old 31-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Some sort of internal reflection is happening here. Try without the focal reducer and see if it goes away. Light is bouncing off one surface of something, hitting another surface and being reflected back onto your camera sensor.
Geoff
Old 31-01-2011, 10:12 PM
spearo (Frank)
accepts all donations

I think Geoff is right
Its unfortunate because that would be an awesome bubble and reflection nebula !
frank
Old 01-02-2011, 08:10 AM
BlackWidow (Mardy)
Seeing Stars

It's very odd. I want to be able to use the focal reducer to speed up the exposure times. I will try the same shot without it and see what happens. I have noticed one of my fittings to the T-Mount is not black inside so I am going to paint that also. I also had a fair amount of light around so it may have been light across the front of the reflector glass on the scope. Thanks for your advice guys, it looks like trial and error on this one...

I agree Frank it looks pretty cool. If it was a neb of some sort you would have to be happy with the shot. I now call this NSB123 The not supposed to Be Nebula. LOL

Mardy