Old 14-11-2007, 05:03 PM
niko

aGent webcam - what software to use?

Having read the recent threads I've plucked up the courage to rip aprt the aGent webcam I bought some time ago.

Will be using it with a ED80 on an HEQ5Pro mount.

Is there some freeware software you could suggest I use?

thanks in advance

niko
Old 16-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

G'Day Niko I've also bought one.

Load the drivers that came with it and just use the USB2.0WebCamera software that came with the camera to capture your target to an AVI file.

Download Registax4 http://www.astronomie.be/registax/installregistax41.exe to process the AVI to create a single stacked image. Just choose "automatic" processing to get a feel for what it's going to do. There are plenty of threads available here to discuss the use of Registax here on the forum.

Cheers
Chris
Old 16-11-2007, 12:28 PM
niko

thanks Chris. I gunna have a play this weekend both daytime and nightime. Haven't got a USB 2 port on the laptop so it's gunna mean some major setup time.

By the way - had a quick look at your website - started salivating over the binocular scope - just beautiful!!!

cheers

niko
Old 16-11-2007, 12:30 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

You could also try the Video capture part of Virtual Dub. It is a very good program but just takes a bit to learn where all the settings are hidden away.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:17 PM
skylarker

Anyone tried the new aGent version?

Hi
I just saw you ripped apart the aGent and then had to install the driver. I have just been on their website and it appears it no longer needs a driver to install - just plug and play. Have you tried this version? Do you think it will capture the AVI files ok still once I pull it apart?
Thanks
Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Glenhuon (Bill)

Have'nt seen the latest version, but pulled one of these apart a while ago and used it for Moon imaging (V.2 model). Was OK on the Moon and maybe Jupiter, but not really sensitive enough for anything else. The newer models may be better. Takes great moon shots, just used the included software and it worked fine. They will work on USB 1.1, my old lappy did'nt have 2 and it handled it OK.
Had it on the moon when I was in a chat room, people thought it was a movie, were stoked when told it was live from Aus An 1 1/4" IR filter fits on the front OK after you have removed the lens assembly ( with a little help from some thread tape and sticky tape)

Cheers
Bill