Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 22-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Paul Haese

Some might think I am Crazy

Well, perhaps I have finally gone around the bend. Perhaps not.

During the past couple of weeks I negotiated the purchase of a second hand AG12 for a price I could not refused. It came from someone I trust and am very appreciative of the pricing and the condition of the scope.

As you can see from the image, it is in very good condition. The primary and secondary are in good condition too.

So why buy the same scope again when I had so much trouble last time? Well; other than the issues I had with the corrector and finish of the scope, it does perform as I wanted. I know know what to expect. Especially now that I am using a different corrector to the one they supplied. The one on this scope might well be ok, however I do have another corrector which will work.

Essentially I wanted another fast scope that I can either put my Aluma, QSI or STXL onto. Probably in all likelihood I will be putting the Aluma on one scope and STXL on the other. This will free up my QSI for wider applications with camera lenses.

I will also then stockpile my GSO RC12 until I build a new observatory at Swan Reach. I just need another couple of mounts to utilize all the scopes I have laying around here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_6208.jpg)
152.3 KB262 views
Old 22-11-2019, 10:32 PM
gregbradley

A great deal. What sensor is in the Aluma?

Greg.
Old 22-11-2019, 10:57 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Looking at the colour of the CF, looks like has been stored carefully in Brisbane atmosphere for some time perhaps.....

Hope it works out well Paul.
Old 23-11-2019, 06:37 AM
Wavytone

Noooo you’re not crazy... there comes a time when you realise you’ll only have one chance at something, so either do what you want, or forget it - forever.

What’s amusing is when you’ve finally acquired a superb unicorn, you’ll find a purple unicorn with pink spots.
Old 23-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

You're a brave man Paul...
Old 23-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Fantastic news Paul. Not many observatories have 2x AG12" running side by side

Now you only need one more to be able to simultaneously do Ha, OIII and SII...
Old 24-11-2019, 01:08 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post

Really, if you've gone +1, what's a few more, eh? How many could you get on 1 mount?
Old 24-11-2019, 02:09 PM
glend (Glen)

Well " it just maybe a lunatic we're looking for" (thank you Billy Joel).
When you put up the new observatory, why not do a Martin Pugh and create a timeshare facility? Sell the time your not using them, helps pay for the addition mounts you might need.
Old 24-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A great deal. What sensor is in the Aluma?

Greg.

Greg, I got the 694 version. I like the scale is produces with the AG12 and the noise levels are so much less than the 8300. In the next couple of months I'll sort out the cameras on each of the scopes. Right now I am in the middle of another deep project with AG1 and want to finish that this year. Similarly the RC12 is on a project too which is nearing completion. I'll be doing shake downs here in Adelaide before I move the scope out to Clayton though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Looking at the colour of the CF, looks like has been stored carefully in Brisbane atmosphere for some time perhaps.....

Hope it works out well Paul.

Ah you might well be right there Rob. It did come from up that way. So you obviously know who owned it before me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Noooo you’re not crazy... there comes a time when you realise you’ll only have one chance at something, so either do what you want, or forget it - forever.

What’s amusing is when you’ve finally acquired a superb unicorn, you’ll find a purple unicorn with pink spots.

There is always more than one scope to do a specific job. I have a C14 only used for planetary work. It has never done any DSO imaging at all. It's just another tool in the sheds. I don't think there is such a thing as a unicorn scope? Maybe for some but not for me. If money were no object.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
You're a brave man Paul...

Yeah probably, but I do like the robust nature of these scopes. The first AG12 (let's call it AG1 from herein) does not move from either side of the meridian and holds collimation really well. The only thing that does more is focus and even that is minor, though to maintain sharp data it needs focusing at least every 30 minutes for the first 3 hours. Which reminds me to get temperature compensation going on both focusers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post

Well technically I have two observatories remotely with another at home and a large one in the planning stages. I suppose if I had 3 scopes operating at the same focal length with the same cameras your concept would be perfectly reasonable to undertake. If I win the lottery I would be looking at 3 x 20" scopes with the same cameras and the same mount types. However, that will never happen and so I must be happy with my systems I do have working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Really, if you've gone +1, what's a few more, eh? How many could you get on 1 mount?

Not on one mount Jen. On two different mounts. I don't think the PME could support two scopes this size with cameras. LOL. That would be something to see though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Well " it just maybe a lunatic we're looking for" (thank you Billy Joel).
When you put up the new observatory, why not do a Martin Pugh and create a timeshare facility? Sell the time your not using them, helps pay for the addition mounts you might need.

A friend and I are planning setting up a remote facility out at Swan Reach in the new River Murray International Dark Sky Reserve. Land is already purchased; we are just going through the planning and approval of the storage shed and first observatory shed. We were going to buy a 10m roll off roof shed from a manufacturer but will now buy a standard shed and cut it down and customize it to house our scopes initially and then with hosting in a couple of years. So yes, that is in the making. We have both been buying equipment over the last few years and not selling stuff we need. My shed is starting to look like an astronomy shop, with rotators, cameras and scopes. I do need a few more mounts though.
Old 28-11-2019, 01:32 PM
crs (Colin)
Colin Melbourne

Nice. I have an RC12 and RC10. The 12 is a bit heavy to handle so I might get something else as well. But not sure how to negotiate that internally yet......
Old 30-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs View Post
Nice. I have an RC12 and RC10. The 12 is a bit heavy to handle so I might get something else as well. But not sure how to negotiate that internally yet......

I have a RC12 in an observatory at present. I think the RC12 and AG12 are a similar lifting weight. I never thought I would go back to a Newtonian but I now have three of them. LOL The RC12's only downfall is the slow f ratio. Other than that is a great scope.