Old 11-02-2008, 08:18 PM
DB

mallincam

Hi

I am considering purchasing a MallinCam Hyper Plus color camera. I haven't been able to get a clear idea about using it with a laptop. I wondered if anyone local has any experience with it?

Thanks
David
Old 11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
coldspace

David,

I have a Mallincam hyper colour on order and it should be here by end of month. The Mallincam will blow your socks of. Very sensitive, versatile on deep sky and solar system, cooled and upgradable. You will get very accepatable images on your laptop screen or LCD but the best monitors to use for this visual aid are the colour security CRT type monitors particulary the smaller ones around 8 to 10 inch screen size as these will provide alot more detail in the image for live veiwing. You also want the colour,brightness and contrast controls on the front if possible as this makes adjustments alot easier. Apparantly the Speco 9 inch colour is the best performer but you will have to order one from the states as they are not avalible here. I know some one on the Gold coast using this set up and he is finding it great. If you want to capture images then the laptop would be the way to go but you will need to somesort of capture card but that is another story as these systems are mainly aimed at real time viewing but some people are getting great images. Did you see how Rock captured M57 in the daylight simply amazing stuff. Check the link 7th image down http://mallincam.tripod.com/id30.html. Also go to the cloudy nights forum and go to the video forum and there are alot of guys over there experimenting with this little beauty and are very helpfull if you post any questions there. Jack has just got back this week from a star party from testing the Mallincam with CPC1100 and a hyperstar system running at F2 here is a sample of some of his captured images with no processing and M42 is captured in 1 x 2sec exposure so fast systems work really well with this camera.http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea.../o/all/fpart/1,
also you can join the Mallincam user group on Yahoo and ask questions there as well or ask me and I will try to answer, hope this helps,

Matt
Old 13-02-2008, 05:51 AM
DB

Matt

Thanks for that. I will check out the Cloudynights site. I plan to use a MacBook Pro as the laptop. Apple tend to have good screens but being a Mac probably adds a further complication. I'll be very interested to hear about your experience with it. I will be in the US in April so could potentially time a collection for one then.

David
Old 13-02-2008, 01:48 PM
coldspace

Hi David,

If you want to get one in April I sujest you order one now as Rock is having trouble keeping up with demand. About 10 weeks from order now as I have waited 6 weeks now.

Matt