Old 28-05-2015, 08:35 AM
garymck (Gary)

Dual Imaging rig?

Hi,

I posted earlier asking about mono cameras (I currently have an Sbig ST8300C), it had been my intention to perhaps sell the camera and replace it with a mono. However, after checking out the cost of good filters it seems that buying a mono camera and keeping my Sbig might be an economical idea (that plus the fact that I really like the Sbig

How feasible is it to say put a QHY9 on my Tak TSA120, use that for luminance, whilst using a smaller scope (ED80 or similar) with the ST8300C simultaneously taking the color? Then later combining the data. his would maximize imaging time - particularly visiting dark sky sites?

Is this a worthwhile idea?

cheers
Gary
Old 28-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Definitely, as long as your mount can handle it.

Tom Davis used to do the same thing and made some spectacular images.

H
Old 28-05-2015, 09:04 AM
glend (Glen)

Interesting idea. Wouldn't it be important to make sure your field of view was close on both scopes? What about differing pixel sizes?
Old 28-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Any decent processing software (IRIS, PixInsight) nowadays have very powerful transformation tools which match images from different scopes, etc.

Some of Rob Gendler's work, for example, he has taken with his widefield FSQ and then blended in images from his RCOS for finer detail in nebulae.

H
Old 28-05-2015, 10:32 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

CCDStack will alter size and geometry to allow for differing scales etc. PI doe too, but I still don't "get" PI.
Old 28-05-2015, 10:36 AM
gbeal

I've tried it, albeit not too seriously, but found it was not as simple as I thought. To me it was more trouble than it was worth, so I went back to separate sessions for separate cameras.
Your mileage..................
Gary
Old 28-05-2015, 06:01 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Gary,

This is what I've been doing and trying to perfect with my 2 refractors, a TEC140 and TEC180. I use a Trius on the TEC140 and a KAF8300 CCD on the TEC180. The FOVs are quite similar as are the resolutions (.95/.88) I do luminance on the TEC180 and colour on the TEC140. The images combine and stack easily in CCDStack. I also had custom software written for me so that I can link exposures between TSX CAO and CCDSoft. This allows me to dither exposures. And finally, Focus Max V.4 allows for Acquire Star to run two focusers. All of this actually allows me to finally control both cameras using CCDAP5 though I only have control over 1 filter wheel (which doesn't matter if I'm doing luminance only with one camera). I can automatically collect data in a ratio of 1 lum: 3 RGB. Given our stinking weather there is great potential here which I have yet to fully test. The issues with Acquire Star took months to solve (thank you Steve Brady!) with success only last week. Anyway, you can see pictures, etc at my pbase pages.

Is it worth doing? For sure, but automation is really complicated!

Peter
Old 28-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Moon (James)
This sentence is false

I thought about this too, but when I tried it I could measure significant differential flexible between the two scopes. Way more than I was used to seeing between a guide scope and main OTA. I guess this makes sense when you consider the weight of the scopes.
James