Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

NGC3132 - yet another version

Couldn't get near Mike's beaut image, but was still pleased at the result. In particular, efforts to clean the optical system and suppress stray light seem to have paid off.

A lot of processing was required to control the dynamic range - and the stars and noise show the damage. Have also tried to ensure that the masking did not introduce "features" - but there may be some spurious structure and I intend to do a careful reprocess to check/correct. Also have some RGB and will tidy up the stars when the winter sets in and astronomy stops.

Used 6/7nm NB filters, with 6 hours Ha ( mix of 2 and 5 minute subs) and 3 hours of O3 (2m subs). 250/f4 and ASI1600, gain 100. Had more data, but all of the imaging was carried out with the moon up - the stuff I used was the highest-resolution/lowest-sky cull from a larger dataset. Seeing was about average at ~2.2 arcsec or thereabouts.

thanks for looking - advice on colour/processing welcomed. Regards Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (aaaImage33c.jpg)
170.2 KB169 views

Last edited by Shiraz; 24-03-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 23-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It is very nicely resolved Ray! Mike appears to still have a stronger SNR but he also has more exposure
Old 24-03-2017, 12:02 AM
Stevec35 (Steve)

I think that's still extremely good Ray

Cheers

Steve
Old 24-03-2017, 09:13 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Looks good, Ray. I would have said "great" before Mike lifted the bar on this object Look forward to the final version.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 24-03-2017, 03:35 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Couldn't get near Mike's beaut image, but was still pleased at the result.
Well it's pretty bloody close Ray!..an excellent image of this tiny blighter!

Quote:
A lot of processing was required to control the dynamic range - and the stars and noise show the damage. Have also tried to ensure that the masking did not introduce "features" - but there may be some spurious structure and I intend to do a careful reprocess to check/correct. Also have some RGB and will tidy up the stars when the winter sets in and astronomy stops.
I agree Ray, the processing required on this one was indeed difficult. I also totally agree that it is always important to make sure ones processing doesn't introduce spurious, shall we say, "make believe" detail or features and yes masks and lassoing as well as Decon, wavelettes and selective curves and sharpening etc can easily create bogus features and detail when processing objects like this one...in fact most objects really? However, in science when one reveals potential new and/or faint structures etc, in fact any structures really, in an image, they mean very little until they can be confirmed in separately collected data...so, here is a comparison of my results with another very deep image taken by the CTIO guys using a 16" RC under the excellent skies of Cerro Tololo observatory at 2200m up in the Andes:

CTIO vs Wallaroo

Clearly all our structures and faint outer details match essentially perfectly...so they must be real ...also the OIII extends right into the outer shells and not just inside the central oval.

Again a great result Ray

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 24-03-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 24-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
It is very nicely resolved Ray! Mike appears to still have a stronger SNR but he also has more exposure
Thanks Colin. I should have given it a bit more sky time - particularly dark sky - but I was also working on 3 other projects at the time -no excuse, just a choice and it shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
I think that's still extremely good Ray

Cheers

Steve
thank you Steve - appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Looks good, Ray. I would have said "great" before Mike lifted the bar on this object Look forward to the final version.

Cheers,
Rick.
thanks Rick. am trying to understand some dynamic range issues with this camera - hopefully can sort it all out and improve the image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Well it's pretty bloody close Ray!..an excellent image of this tiny blighter!

I agree Ray, the processing required on this one was indeed difficult. I also totally agree that it is always important to make sure ones processing doesn't introduce spurious, shall we say, "make believe" detail or features and yes masks and lassoing as well as Decon, wavelettes and selective curves and sharpening etc can easily create bogus features and detail when processing objects like this one...in fact most objects really? However, in science when one reveals potential new and/or faint structures etc, in fact any structures really, in an image, they mean very little until they can be confirmed in separately collected data...so, here is a comparison of my results with another very deep image taken by the CTIO guys using a 16" RC under the excellent skies of Cerro Tololo observatory at 2200m up in the Andes:

CTIO vs Wallaroo

Clearly all our structures and faint outer details match essentially perfectly...so they must be real ...also the OIII extends right into the outer shells and not just inside the central oval.

Again a great result Ray

Mike
thanks very much Mike. It is a real problem to make sure that new "features" are not introduced. That is one of the reasons I like PI so much - there are almost no mechanisms for fiddling with an image (eg no "lassoo" selection or paint facilities), so any features that creep in have their origins in the data. However, there are still user choices in mask thresholds, degree of stretching, sharpening etc that affect the outcome - so I try to stick with automated methods or mathematically sound processes such as deconvolution that are driven by measured data content rather than a whim. Also, when deciding on what is real, I always find it useful to do an automated stretch of the stacks, before any processing - that shows where the real data extends to and what general structure the dim bits have (attached). And of course, everything to do with colour is up for grabs.

On that basis, it is comforting that there is so much similarity in images of such high dynamic range (or very faint) objects.

Regards Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (eightcomparo.jpg)
93.6 KB29 views

Last edited by Shiraz; 24-03-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 24-03-2017, 08:03 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
thanks very much Mike. It is a real problem to make sure that new "features" are not introduced. That is one of the reasons I like PI so much - there are almost no mechanisms for fiddling with an image (eg no "lassoo" selection or paint facilities), so any features that creep in have their origins in the data. However, there are still user choices in mask thresholds, degree of stretching, sharpening etc that affect the outcome - so I try to stick with automated methods or mathematically sound processes such as deconvolution that are driven by measured data content rather than a whim. And of course, everything to do with colour is up for grabs.

On that basis, it is comforting that there is so much similarity in images of such high dynamic range (or very faint) objects.

Regards Ray
Why'd ya take away the tri-comparison Ray? I thought it was a good illustration and confirmed you had more or less got the same as CTIO and I

Mike
Old 24-03-2017, 08:19 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

because mine is not as good!!

ok here is - image sources as in your post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (eightcomparo2.jpg)
132.2 KB51 views
Old 24-03-2017, 08:27 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
because mine is not as good!!

ok here is - image sources as in your post.
bah! it's excellent, until now all images I had seen of this baby were nowhere near as extensive as yours!

Mike
Old 24-03-2017, 08:49 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Looking at those Ray, I'd say that seeing plays a big part as well. Scale and aperture are much of a muchness but Mike appears to have had better seeing when capturing. Just looking at 7-9 O'Clock
Old 25-03-2017, 12:45 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Looking at those Ray, I'd say that seeing plays a big part as well. Scale and aperture are much of a muchness but Mike appears to have had better seeing when capturing. Just looking at 7-9 O'Clock
FWHM ended up about 1.8arcsec after deconvolution, so it was fairly good. The difference in structure may well be just down to preference - I tried a (very) quick and (very) dirty selective enhancement on the posted jpeg and it extracted the same sort of structure as in the CTIO and Mike's image. Of course it also mashed the stars, but that can be managed - main thing is, the detail in the outer structure probably depends mainly on the aggressiveness of the processing and that is somewhat of a choice - maybe I should have pushed it harder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (colin.jpg)
21.4 KB50 views
Old 25-03-2017, 01:34 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Ray that looks like it's 2000 L/Yrs away.
What scope and FL are you using?
Old 25-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Maybe a bit more exposure would allow you to push it a bit harder. Being able to decon longer before you dredge up the worms.
Old 25-03-2017, 09:34 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
Ray that looks like it's 2000 L/Yrs away.
What scope and FL are you using?
yep it is a fair way away and about an arcminute across. Am using a Skywatcher 250f4 Newtonian with ASI1600 camera (3.8micron pixels) giving about 0.78 arcsec sampling.

Quote:
Maybe a bit more exposure would allow you to push it a bit harder. Being able to decon longer before you dredge up the worms.
agreed, it could have done with more signal as Mike showed. I used a normal deconvolution, but then went a bit light on wavelet boosting of intermediate spatial frequencies to keep the noise at reasonable levels.

Last edited by Shiraz; 25-03-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 25-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I'd still be very happy with it Ray
Old 26-03-2017, 10:58 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

There are faint fuzzies and stars in the background field that don't show in Mike's image but are in both your and the CTIO images.

In terms of "bang for buck" the depth of the data is impressive

A very tidy effort.
Old 29-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
I'd still be very happy with it Ray
thanks Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
There are faint fuzzies and stars in the background field that don't show in Mike's image but are in both your and the CTIO images.

In terms of "bang for buck" the depth of the data is impressive

A very tidy effort.
thanks Peter. The stars etc in my image are native HaO3, whereas, I assume that Mike's are RGB - that might explain the difference. Don't know re CITO.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Paul Haese

Nice work Ray. You clearly had enough imaging speed to get that glow around the outer areas. I could not manage that. I did conduct the 1 hour subs test and yes it did work better, but even at 12 hours the Ha was still not really bright around the outer chevrons.

Well done.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:19 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Nice work Ray. You clearly had enough imaging speed to get that glow around the outer areas. I could not manage that. I did conduct the 1 hour subs test and yes it did work better, but even at 12 hours the Ha was still not really bright around the outer chevrons.

Well done.
thanks Paul. this is certainly a difficult little object and I was pleased to be able to get something in the outer regions.

I guess that 1 hour is about the practical limit for subs - do you have any plans brewing on a next phase for your setup?