Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2014, 12:45 PM
TimberLand (Justin)
No Meridian Flip Required

New Home for Re-tardis

I have been given approval to start on the observatory for my Horse Shoe (Named Re-tardis by the Western Alliance at Astrofest 2 years ago).

The plan is to have a control room (4x2.4) dug into the ground by about a metre and a dome (3m) next to it about half a metre above ground. Because the scope is a Horse Shoe it doesn't need pier but instead a solid flat piece of floor. This floor is still going to be isolated from the main floor of the dome and on it own footings. Looking to keep the trees but trim them to reduce wind that we get up in the hills.

Any thoughts before I get too carried away with the design?

Here is some pics of the just after breaking ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_3384.jpg)
60.8 KB125 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3382.jpg)
65.5 KB116 views
Old 08-06-2014, 10:12 PM
LyraMoonstarer (Diane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberLand View Post
I have been given approval to start on the observatory for my Horse Shoe (Named Re-tardis by the Western Alliance at Astrofest 2 years ago).

Here is some pics of the just after breaking ground.
That is really great news! Does this mean your Astrofest visits may become less frequent? What about the coffee machine? I hear whimpering from Western Fence members already.

Now back to the Re-Tardis:

Firstly, make sure there is plenty of wall space for the blue and white chequered paint!

Secondly, dedicated power to the blue light on the roof!

Thirdly, plenty of space for the Drone to dock safely, not that we expect you to confirm or deny its existence!

Hmmm, that's all for the moment
Old 09-06-2014, 11:48 PM
TimberLand (Justin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraMoonstarer View Post
That is really great news! Does this mean your Astrofest visits may become less frequent? What about the coffee machine? I hear whimpering from Western Fence members already.

Now back to the Re-Tardis:

Firstly, make sure there is plenty of wall space for the blue and white chequered paint!

Secondly, dedicated power to the blue light on the roof!

Thirdly, plenty of space for the Drone to dock safely, not that we expect you to confirm or deny its existence!

Hmmm, that's all for the moment
Astrofest is more than just nightscapes there is coffee to be drunk, and yes I will be bringing the machine from the farm (coffee that is).

Having a dedicated observatory will not reduce my attendance and I will always try to get to the Western Alliance gatherings.

For the control room I was going to go with a solid blue as I'm a bit over the checkered white, but there will be enough power to run the red and blue lights.

And yes the secret is out, we fly Remote Piloted Aircraft in CASA language. And I'm allowed to talk about it now.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:32 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberLand View Post
Looking to keep the trees but trim them to reduce wind that we get up in the hills.

If the trees dont go above about 30 degrees, I'd leave them. Once you start hacking, they'll look awful. Wind protection is a good thing
Old 16-05-2015, 11:22 PM
TimberLand (Justin)

Finally, some spare time.

Common gripe for all I imagine but I haven't had much time to myself for a while. But finally I have got some more progress on my observatory, or the control room at least.

The plan is to get it built to a lockable stage with the solar power and batteries connected so I don't have to drag all the required tools and generator up there every time I want to do some work.

The walls that are to be underground are almost finished, they are a bit rough but should do the trick. I plan is to water proof them and place drainage behind them before back filling them.

I have counter sunk the control room so that the observatory can look over the roof too about 10 degrees without obstruction, although the Brisbane light bubble in that direction makes looking that way counter productive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_3887.jpg)
204.5 KB121 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_3888.jpg)
198.4 KB116 views
Old 17-06-2015, 07:44 PM
TimberLand (Justin)

More Progress

I had better stop making a habit of this or I might actually get a project finished. (my family wouldn't believe it either)

The frame for the control room is up and the base for the horse shoe to rest on is now sitting on it's piers. I can now confirm that my calculations where right or should I say I'm relieved that guess work paid off and the telescope will look over the control room as expected. The second photo was taken from the pivot point of where the mount will finally rest.

One plus to this steady progress is I can start to trim the trees into a bit of a shrub to help with wind without removing usable sky, and still have the trees doing their usual thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4034.jpg)
58.6 KB82 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4035.jpg)
59.8 KB92 views
Old 21-10-2016, 01:31 PM
TimberLand (Justin)

Finally some more progress

After the family, work and farm are sorted eventually I had a chance recently to do some more work on the new home for the horse shoe. (named Re-Tardis by the Western Alliance at Qld. Astrofest)

I managed a few days between the recent rains, as access to this site is limited due to the heavy soils and steepness of the climb to the site. Cross fingers I can keep this momentum up and get the scope installed sooner rather than later. I made a custom die for my pipe bender to make the 25x25 RHS hoops of steel, the roof moves freely at the moment but is only resting on the safety stops until I install the motor drives and idlers.

The mount for the horse shoe is not your standard pier but the 50x50x5 RHS frame in the middle of the structure that is on it's own foundations and will be isolated from the main floor.

You may have noticed the ruffness of some of the cladding and structure as I have tried to use second hand and recycled materials where I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_5761.jpg)
61.7 KB62 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4756.jpg)
76.0 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_4758.jpg)
59.4 KB63 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_5639.jpg)
61.3 KB70 views