Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2021, 04:30 PM
Granada
The truth is out there

Dob focuser too short

The standard 2" focuser on my 14" dob is often either too short for my TV eyepieces to focus properly. I've bought some adaptors but frankly I can't be bothered putting them on and off all the time, and most don't even attach properly so kinda useless. Any recommendations on which focuser I can replace it with so it's more compatible with my eyepieces?
Old 01-03-2021, 11:45 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Get a MoonLite focuser from .... focuser.com

http://www.focuser.com/

Col
Old 02-03-2021, 12:18 AM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Surely you just need an extension tube? I had a Bintel 35mm extension (2" fitting ) attached permanently to my Dob and all my eyepieces reached focus (including several Tele Vues).

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/bi...v=322b26af01d5
Old 02-03-2021, 05:45 AM
astro744

You need to determine your focal plane and decide on how much travel you want before you buy any new focuser otherwise you may end up with the same issue. You can also loosen or tighten the primary collimating screws to move the focal plane out or as if needed.

Are the adapters you are referring to extension tubes? If not try a short extension tube but you could then be out too far.

Do you use a Paracorr or are you considering one? It needs some inward travel which may help you. If getting a new focuser and are considering a Paracorr you need to ensure you have the inward travel for it. A Paracorr 2 needs 14mm of inward travel from the normal prime focus position.

To determine your focal range (focuser travel length
/draw tube length when you’re shopping for a new one), first measure the position of all eyepieces you own. If Tele Vue then this info is available at https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=214

(Refer column f).

You could make a radius plate for your current focuser to lift it up a little, say 15mm but you’ll have to work the optimal distance out before making one. I made one for one of my telescopes out of a block of pine and painted it black. Measure the base dimensions and make sure the wood is big enough for the mounting screws. Drill a large hole to match the outer diameter of the focuser. Then you need a belt sander (bench model prepared) or if hand model clamp the job in a vice. You need to curve the bottom of the block to match your telescope tube and the top of the block to match your existing focuser base curvature. Drill the four mounting holes and job done, just paint and your set. (You will need longer mounting screws).

I made mine 35 years ago but these days a 3d printer would be the way to go if you can access one.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:52 PM
Granada
The truth is out there

Thanks everyone and especially astro744 for such a comprehensive response. When I mentioned "adapters" I really meant to say extention tubes, but because I'm an idiot I didn't check if they fit into my 2" holder (surprise - they don't!). So I think I'll try MortonH's suggestion and buy a 35mm extension tube.
Would it be worthwhile buying a 50mm one as well?
Old 04-03-2021, 03:13 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada View Post
Thanks everyone and especially astro744 for such a comprehensive response. When I mentioned "adapters" I really meant to say extention tubes, but because I'm an idiot I didn't check if they fit into my 2" holder (surprise - they don't!). So I think I'll try MortonH's suggestion and buy a 35mm extension tube.
Would it be worthwhile buying a 50mm one as well?
I suspect the 50mm might be too long for some eyepieces. The 35mm was perfect for me.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:24 PM
bojan
amateur

You may consider moving primary mirror a bit.. It may help reducing vignetting as well (if moved away from spider or lower).
Old 04-03-2021, 05:15 PM
astro744

What is the travel of your current focuser from fully racked in to fully racked out? If less than 35mm then a 35mm extension tube may be too long but it depends on where your focal plane sits. Also different eyepieces have different field stop positions so some may come to focus and some not.

Have you determined the focal plane? To do this get a piece of tracing paper and place flat over focuser (no eyepiece). Point at the Moon (at night) and try and focus onto the paper. It will be at focus at the focal plane. If this is above the fully racked out focuser then measure the distance. If Moon not up focus on a distant object on the horizon during the daytime. Contrast will be low so very translucent almost transparent paper is better during the daytime or put a hood over your head and focal plane (think old photographers).

There are many variables and a 35mm 2” diameter extension may work but if too long then a radius plate like I suggested is the go. However try adjusting the collimation bolts first and/or get an extension tube. Tighten each collimation bolt evenly to bring the focal plane inward. You will have to re-collimate.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:53 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
I suspect the 50mm might be too long for some eyepieces. The 35mm was perfect for me.
I had exactly the same issue with my old 16", and the 35mm extension tube from Bintel fixed the issue.