Old 29-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Trouble with Q Guider, QHY5 colour

Hi all I have a problem with my Q GUIDER guide camera. When I use it on my Observatory computer with PHD Guiding I end up during calibration with the screen scrolling over and over without calibration actually happening.
If I run the exact same software on my laptop it all works fine.
My original thought was that the desktop was running USB1 so a new PCI USB2 card was purchased, installed and it made no diference. The desktop is a 2.2 Ghz Celeron with 512 mb of ram, lots of free disk space. It is connected wit a 3 meter USB lead to my guide scope. The same setup drives perfectly when run with a DSI.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 29-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Gama

Hi Doug,

First, remove the guide cable and just connect the USB cable.
If it connects and displays an image, then the camera is OK.
Without plugging in the cable still, check to see that when you try and do a cal , it doesnt go bananas. It should just fail cal.
If so, check that the mount you are using has the same pinouts as the guide port. Possibly the cable may need to be different.
What mount are you using and what is the cable pinout ?.

Theo.
Old 29-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Hi Theo, It all works fine on my laptop just won't work with the desktop. Could it be something with power levels on the 5V USB feed. The camera seems to work fine. Just the picture scrolls across the screen on my desktop when I try to calibrate. If I just use the camera and guide with GPUSB interface all works fine.. I am at a loss with this one..I will try a powered USB hub and a few other things and see if I can isolate the problem. The mount is a skywatcher EQ6 with sysscan. (The white one) Pinout seems to be the same.

Thanks Theo I will try your tests but probably won't get a chance until after next weekend at Snake Valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post
Hi Doug,

First, remove the guide cable and just connect the USB cable.
If it connects and displays an image, then the camera is OK.
Without plugging in the cable still, check to see that when you try and do a cal , it doesnt go bananas. It should just fail cal.
If so, check that the mount you are using has the same pinouts as the guide port. Possibly the cable may need to be different.
What mount are you using and what is the cable pinout ?.

Theo.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Gama

Hi Doug, download the latest driver file for PHD here http://www.astrosoft.be/QGUIDER/CMOSDLL.DLL and copy it and replace the original file in the PHD directory.
I think that should fix it.

Seems PHD comes with an old driver version, and causing some headaches.
Replace it and let me know how you go.

Theo
Old 03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Hi Doug

My new QHY5 works a treat with DL. Guide cal worked fine, and guidng works well in "LX200" mode (on the G11). I havent tried the guide socket yet.

In fact installation was a doddle. The gain tweak popup is really cool, and sensitivty/noise is excellent (better than the SBIG external guide cam).