Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Old 28-07-2019, 10:48 AM
ProSatanos (Filip)

Advice - where to go from Dob?

Hello!
I've had a Skywatcher 8" Dob for about 3 years now, but maybe it's time for something different. Its so heavy and unwieldy, its difficult to get around and without a GoTo finding things is difficult. Tired of constantly nudging it.

For those reasons, it's not getting as much use as it should. Every time I try to take it outside i get bruised shins.

I've also got a ASI120MC USB camera.

My goals are simple astrophotography and just casual stargazing.

What would be the next setup? Can I re-use the tube if I buy a powerful enough mount?

Thanks!

Last edited by ProSatanos; 28-07-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 28-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Trying to convert the 8” dob to AP is a bit iffy , but possibly could be done
Firstly I think your dob only has a single speed focuser, you will need a dual speed focuser for AP as a minimum
You tube length could be an issue with a focal length of 1200mm, possibly clash with tripod legs ?
Your existing pivot point could clash with tube rings depending on your balancing point
In any case an 8” tube requires something like an EQ6-R or NEQ6 mount if you eventually want to autoguide and capture 5 and 10 minute exposures ( which most of us do )
General rule of thumb for AP is your that total payload including OTA and all AP accessories should not exceed 60% of the max rating of your mount
Recommendation if you want to get into AP for the long hall , keep the dob or sell the dob and buy a reflector or refractor
I use both a 6” f6 on a HEQ5 mount and 8” f5 newt reflector on an EQ6-R Mount for AP

Please try and get some more advice of others
That’s just my opinion and advice
Good Luck
Old 28-07-2019, 05:29 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Get an heq 5 and strap it on.
Alex
Old 28-07-2019, 05:29 PM
doppler (Rick)

Hi Filip, you can get tube rings and mount your dob on an EQ mount. You will need a HEQ5 pro as a minimum, a NEQ6 would be better (if you have the $). If you get GSO tube rings be aware that Skywatcher tubes have a smaller diameter and will need to be "padded" out for a snug fit. Skywatcher tube rings are more expensive and harder to source.
Here's my imaging setup, 10" Skywatcher "dob" on a HEQ5 pro mount. It's on a pier which apparently increases payload capacity by a couple of kgs. The only time I have issues with the weight and size of the tube is in windy conditions, on a clear still night it performs well. I think that a lot of people underestimate the capabilities of the HEQ5 pro mount, sure a big tube will catch the wind but the mount can handle the weight.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (10 inch.jpg)
197.9 KB87 views
Old 28-07-2019, 07:32 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Get an heq 5 and strap it on.
Alex
Probably superb advice
Old 28-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
Hi Filip, you can get tube rings and mount your dob on an EQ mount. You will need a HEQ5 pro as a minimum, a NEQ6 would be better (if you have the $). If you get GSO tube rings be aware that Skywatcher tubes have a smaller diameter and will need to be "padded" out for a snug fit. Skywatcher tube rings are more expensive and harder to source.
Here's my imaging setup, 10" Skywatcher "dob" on a HEQ5 pro mount. It's on a pier which apparently increases payload capacity by a couple of kgs. The only time I have issues with the weight and size of the tube is in windy conditions, on a clear still night it performs well. I think that a lot of people underestimate the capabilities of the HEQ5 pro mount, sure a big tube will catch the wind but the mount can handle the weight.

Rick

Just what Alex said above
Old 29-07-2019, 11:35 AM
Oddity (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post

Rick
Nice post. Lots of reassuring detail and some tips for anyone that might be unsure about precisely how to go about it.
Old 29-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Oddity (Andrew)

Filip, if you have a little extra cash perhaps an AZ-EQ mount would give you the best of both worlds.

You can do astro as per the HEQ5/NEQ6 suggestions below, but for visual you can opt to set up quickly and easily in alt-az to avoid awkward positioning and needing to regularly rotate the whole tube to reach the eyepiece.
Old 30-07-2019, 12:04 PM
leon

Depends on how poor you want to be to pursue the hobby.

Leon
Old 31-07-2019, 05:07 PM
ProSatanos (Filip)

Thanks all!

Looks like a HEQ5 would give me the best for buck, and allow me to reuse the tube.

Now how do I convince my wife to "let me" buy one?
Old 31-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSatanos View Post
Thanks all!

Looks like a HEQ5 would give me the best for buck, and allow me to reuse the tube.

Now how do I convince my wife to "let me" buy one?

Get a divorce