Old 15-04-2017, 10:39 AM
markas (Mark)

Alpy 600

Has anyone had experience with the Alpy 600 spectroscope? Is it appropriate for a total spectroscopic newbie, or should one start with something simpler?

I have a 'spare' 130mm f/6 refractor as a possible telescope to use with it.

Mark
Old 15-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Mark,
I don't have an ALPY but know a bit about it....it comes in three flavours - the basic module then the entrance slit module then the guiding module....sure you could start with the basic and then spend more money later....
If you haven't tried spectroscopy then I'd recommend starting with a filter grating either the SA100 or the SA200 (The SA200 is more suited to shorter spacing between the grating and the CCD -like when mounted in a filter wheel)
The grating will get you started - "Spectroscopy 101"
It gives you the opportunity of gaining practise in obtaining a spectral image then coming to terms with the necessary processing software as well as learning what spectroscopy can show you .....
After that experience you can decide whether or not to invest more money in an ALPY, or LISA or even a LHiresIII.
Check out:
http://www.astronomicalspectroscopy.com/
Old 18-04-2017, 04:27 AM
robin_astro

Yes I have an ALPY 600. The ALPY 600 is a good starting point for a beginner if you are sure you want to do spectroscopy and are prepared to spend that sort of money but if you are not sure and want to spend less to find out if spectroscopy really is is for you then as Ken said the Star Analyser (which I developed) is a much cheaper (but significantly less capable, lower resolution) option.

The three modules are base module, guiding module and calibration module.
The ALPY base module is a complete slit spectrograph which includes a range of slit and hole aperture sizes. Realistically though it can only be used without the additional guiding module on bright targets. (by defocussing the telescope to enlarge the target sufficiently to be able to locate the target, place it on the slit and keep it there during the exposure.) For fainter targets, the guiding module (which includes a mirror slit, replacing the standard slit in the base module) is a must IMO. The calibration module is a luxury which makes life easier, particularly if you want to run a remote system. There are alternative much cheaper (though not as convenient) options for the flat and calibration lamp features in the calibration module.

Cheers
Robin
Old 24-04-2017, 08:53 AM
markas (Mark)

Rob and Ken,

Thanks for your thoughts. Since I am somewhat uncertain about getting into spectroscopy, I should take your advice and start with a SA100.

Mark