Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Eyepieces, Barlows and Filters
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-02-2017, 01:12 PM
chromus (Phil)

Bino Viewers

Hi All, rather than necromancy ancient threads (which I have read thru already).

Given a choice between Celestron etc/William Optics/Baader Maxbright is it still a case of William Optics kit is the best bang for $'s?
Old 15-02-2017, 03:19 PM
Kunama

Welcome Phil,
The Baader Maxbright is no longer available, there is a new version in development at the moment but the production of the recent version has ceased.

The William Optics Binoviewer is fine and gives very good results. These binoviewers have smaller prisms than the much more expensive Televue, Denkmeier and Baader MkV so they aren't as suitable for eyepieces with wide field stops but overall they are great value.

The build quality of the top tier ones is much better but at a much higher cost. After trying the WO, Maxbright and Denk II, I scored a Televue Binovue in near new conditions which I like very much.
Old 15-02-2017, 03:21 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Matt at telescopesandastronomy sells a good unit, without eyepieces, though I think you are better buying them for yourself anyway..if you can get a siebert corrector they seem quite good, the WO ones are average imo
Old 15-02-2017, 05:29 PM
chromus (Phil)

Thanks for the replies, the Baaders are available from the US still and I found the WO unit from the UK for around the price of the no-names available at telescopesandastronomy.
Old 15-02-2017, 06:15 PM
sopticals (Stephen)

The Williams Optics units are great entry level, should not disappoint.I started out with a couple of sets, one was better than the other optically, due to perhaps a slight discollimation of the lesser unit. Binoviewing can become addictive, particularly on moon and planets, (also solar[if you have the right gear]).

Stephen.
Old 15-02-2017, 06:36 PM
Kunama

Phil, I would suggest you check with sellers of actual stock on hand. Many of them show a waiting list or scheduled delivery when in fact they will have to wait for the new version due out later this year.

Depending on what scope you will be using, you will also need to consider which Glass Path Compensator you require. The glass path compensators not only shorten the required back focus but also correct for spherical aberration the system would otherwise induce in refractors. The GPC for Newts is different and increases the effective focal length of the scope by either 1.7x, 1.8x or 2.0x which has a dramatic effect on the true field of view you will be able to achieve with a scope.

I use the Televue Binovue with the Baader 1.25xGPC even though I can reach focus without it. This makes my TOA130 effective a 130mm @ 1250mm.

Lunar and planetary views with binoviewers are excellent. I don't use them for DSOs due to the fact binoviewers will dim the image. Binoviewers also reduce eye fatigue and the effect of floaters etc.
Old 15-02-2017, 09:42 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromus View Post
Thanks for the replies, the Baaders are available from the US still and I found the WO unit from the UK for around the price of the no-names available at telescopesandastronomy.
Hi Phil, how much, and where, in the UK did you see the WO BV's?
Old 17-02-2017, 08:49 AM
chromus (Phil)

I emailed the 365 Astronomy and they said no stock despite their site saying 3, what is with astronomy sellers and their crappy unlinked inventory management

Anyway, telescopesandastronomy emailed me back to say they had OEM packaged sets same as the WO without the badge and would send me specs - still nothing.

This is supposed to be doing the legwork for my wife so she can get them for my birthday in 2 weeks but looks like at this rate it will be christmas on the 20th Jan all over again
Old 17-02-2017, 10:05 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

try ringing Matt at telescopes-astronomy, 1 family business often gets snowed under
Old 17-02-2017, 10:15 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
I emailed the 365 Astronomy and they said no stock despite their site saying 3, what is with astronomy sellers and their crappy unlinked inventory management

Anyway, telescopesandastronomy emailed me back to say they had OEM packaged sets same as the WO without the badge and would send me specs - still nothing.

This is supposed to be doing the legwork for my wife so she can get them for my birthday in 2 weeks but looks like at this rate it will be christmas on the 20th Jan all over again
I've been dealing with Matt at Telescopes and Astronomy asking about the OEM binoviewers too - if this is the same set you're looking at, the specs he sent me are as follows:

- 22mm Aperture BinoViewers
- 1.85x Barlow
- 3x Barlow
- 2, 30mm Plossl Eyepieces

Fully coated BK4 Prisms

I
Old 17-02-2017, 02:43 PM
chromus (Phil)

He just sent me the same specs and a price that isn't even remotely sensible same with Andrews.

I wanted to spend the money here but looks like the Americans or Germans will get my money.
Old 17-02-2017, 02:54 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
He just sent me the same specs and a price that isn't even remotely sensible same with Andrews.

I wanted to spend the money here but looks like the Americans or Germans will get my money.
Really? That's odd - I looked at a few US sites (OPT Corp, Agenaastro, WO directly via ebay) + FLO in the UK for the WO binoviewers, and by the time you factor in the exchange rate and delivery costs, the price was more than the price I was quoted by Matthew, and his package has an extra barlow, for what it's worth. The Andrews price was ridiculous, I agree with you there.
Old 17-02-2017, 04:43 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
Really? That's odd - I looked at a few US sites (OPT Corp, Agenaastro, WO directly via ebay) + FLO in the UK for the WO binoviewers, and by the time you factor in the exchange rate and delivery costs, the price was more than the price I was quoted by Matthew, and his package has an extra barlow, for what it's worth. The Andrews price was ridiculous, I agree with you there.
This company has a good rap
http://www.siebertoptics.com/Siebert...noviewers.html and I'll get a pair when Im over there towards the end of next year.Priced depending on what YOU want!
bigjoe.
Old 17-02-2017, 04:49 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
This company has a good rap
http://www.siebertoptics.com/Siebert...noviewers.html and I'll get a pair when Im over there towards the end of next year.Priced depending on what YOU want!
bigjoe.
Yes Bigjoe, Matt from Telescope & Astronomy also recommended these as a step (or two) up from the WO version. I don't know how you can wait 18 months for something you want to buy though - that's impressive self control!
Old 17-02-2017, 05:45 PM
chromus (Phil)

Well - after a little negotiating I am getting the original WO unit with a 2nd set of matching lenses sent from the states and will be here Weds next week for only a few $ more than the cheapest AU price for generics and no 3 week wait, as no Au stockists seem to actually have even the generics on the shelf and need to order them from a wholesaler.

Thanks for all of the input guys, I do appreciate it.
Old 17-02-2017, 06:37 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Well - after a little negotiating I am getting the original WO unit with a 2nd set of matching lenses sent from the states and will be here Weds next week for only a few $ more than the cheapest AU price for generics and no 3 week wait, as no Au stockists seem to actually have even the generics on the shelf and need to order them from a wholesaler.

Thanks for all of the input guys, I do appreciate it.
Sounds like you've done very well in any case Phil.
And happy viewing your getting what you want! And at a good price
Cheers bigjoe
Old 07-05-2017, 11:50 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Hi Chromus, I don't know if you've posted elsewhere on this topic, but how has your BV experience been so far?