ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-10-2020, 11:58 AM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Mars on the 20/10/20

This picture was taken last week using a skywatcher 150ED evostar refractor using a ZWOASI 290 MC and x3 celestron xcel barlow lens. Processed in PIPP , autostacker , registax and gimp.
Philip
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (C43F16A7-C4E6-4CA0-AF0A-082DE126724A.jpeg)
31.5 KB43 views
Old 30-10-2020, 12:07 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Good to finally see some images taken with the 150mm Skywatcher, was wondering how they would perform on the planets and it seems like they are pretty good, as I half expected.
That is a nice Mars, could possibly be improved with a red / blue align in Registax, or other programs if they have the function, just to reduce the red and blue fringe on either side of the disc.
Old 30-10-2020, 12:18 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Awesome. Sharp as.
Old 30-10-2020, 07:30 PM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Good to finally see some images taken with the 150mm Skywatcher, was wondering how they would perform on the planets and it seems like they are pretty good, as I half expected.
That is a nice Mars, could possibly be improved with a red / blue align in Registax, or other programs if they have the function, just to reduce the red and blue fringe on either side of the disc.
Thanks for the comments and advice , I did post a picture of petavious last year but got no feedbsck or response . Possibly due to the on going debate on the ED glass used? Have not posted since.
Old 31-10-2020, 09:23 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Nice image, the green colouration on the limb does look a little odd (which might be fixable in Registax), and you are oversampling with the 3x Barlow (the ASI290MC prefers f/15 instead of the f/24+ that you are using here). Not sure what you are using PIPP for (hopefully not debayering), unless there's a really good reason you should go straight to AS!3.

However, you captured a lot of detail there, so there's a lot to work with. I hope you don't mind, but just to give you a bit of inspiration I took a screen grab of your image, reduced the noise, white balanced it using the polar ice cap as the "white point", upped the red channel a bit more then played with the levels a bit to produce this. You may hate my treatment as well, feel free to come up with your own!

Keep it up!

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Mars 5ash mods.png)
32.9 KB23 views
Old 31-10-2020, 11:36 AM
5ash (Philip)
Earthling

Thanks for the advice , yours looks a lot better. What did you do to reduce the noise. My old and surgically damaged eyes eyes have some difficulty adjusting things on a computer screen , wondered about adjusting the white point with the polar cap but am not experienced enough .
See your still Taking great images with the c9.25”
Regards philip
Old 31-10-2020, 12:23 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

No worries Philip, I just used the "Noise reduction" tool in PS, Gimp has a similar one (Filters/Enhance/Noise reduction) which seems to work well. To get the white balance, I used the AutoWB feature in PS and selected the polar cap. I don't know if there's a similar tool in Gimp.

Yep, still loving the 9.25", it's really brought me a lot of joy .

Andrew