Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 26-04-2018, 08:43 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have set up a test with the peltie and the fan with very small panels an only after 30 minutes it seems the peltie works nothwithstanding the low amps...not all the way but it could be handy to cool something a little in the cube and I am thinking to fit it on the steel pier section to help draw heat out of the pier.
Strangley I lay bottles of ice on the patio at dusk and even taht reduces its temp to better than it was...
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20180426_093438-1.jpg)
227.1 KB40 views
Old 14-05-2018, 04:51 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Update.
Nothing really but now I have used this little box both with the 80 mm and the 8 inch f5 reflector.
Its snug but firstly which was not something that worried me it keeps you warm and with the bigger scope it was not bothered by wind.
To day I set the battery inside with a regulator and linked to the solar panel on the deck.
I was going to put it on the lid but its really old and may get a new panel so fit a new one later.
Fitted a little seat allowing me to sit behind the scope acccess the camera and the finder scope.
I have yet to fit the computer fans for cooling but I have paired each fan with its own little panel just need to fit them.
The lid opens and rest on the hinges at about 30 degrees I have to fit a chain and a curtain at one end maybe both if the chain is high enough...
But so far working well.
Very happy with the little seat both the way I made it is at the perfect hight between crook legs and getting at the goods...I can lift up using the sides so getting up is easy now.
Alex
Old 14-05-2018, 05:03 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Worked out a swing box for the lap top to both store the thing but to have it on the openned inside of the lid so it has room either side for stuff openned the inside of the lid is like a big draghtsmans desk...worked out details earlier but wait a bit ...maybe a cardboard model in place to visualise better...but it think what I "see" should work well.
...and I need to fit an inverter for the lappy...rather than a 240 lead from the mains...cause finally up North it will have to be 12 volt ...and if you need 240 plug it into the inverter.
The cube would make a great kit for a diy person..
Putting it together with screws you turn by hand...take down for weekends or longer...it should set up rather easy with more thought to that...when it is finished works I will address that...but it was always at the back of my mind...even the seat pulls out...need fancy pull apart hinges for the lid and it becomes very very transportable.

Alex
Old 14-05-2018, 05:11 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Worked out a swing box for the lap top to both store the thing but to have it on the openned inside of the lid so it has room either side for stuff openned the inside of the lid is like a big draghtsmans desk...worked out details earlier but wait a bit ...maybe a cardboard model in place to visualise better...but it think what I "see" should work well.
...and I need to fit an inverter for the lappy...rather than a 240 lead from the mains...cause finally up North it will have to be 12 volt ...and if you need 240 plug it into the inverter.
The cube would make a great kit for a diy person..
Putting it together with screws you turn by hand...take down for weekends or longer...it should set up rather easy with more thought to that...when it is finished works I will address that...but it was always at the back of my mind...even the seat pulls out...need fancy pull apart hinges for the lid and it becomes very very transportable.

Alex
Alex i would definitely be interested in a mount+cube DIY kit
Old 14-05-2018, 08:17 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
Alex i would definitely be interested in a mount+cube DIY kit
Better still Logan you could market them ...when it all works I will tell you what works the cut order for Bunnings etc and you can start a business and hopefully fund your goals and dreams...
I did look at a small 4wd type winch but at the moment manual is best because its fast but $150 gets the motor etc even cabling...
Alex
Old 14-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

:
Quote:
Better still Logan you could market them ...when it all works I will tell you what works the cut order for Bunnings etc and you can start a business and hopefully fund your goals and dreams...
I did look at a small 4wd type winch but at the moment manual is best because its fast but $150 gets the motor etc even cabling...
Alex
Old 14-05-2018, 11:06 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

It's looking real good Alex. Might be a good fit for my backyard ...
Old 15-05-2018, 08:37 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
It's looking real good Alex. Might be a good fit for my backyard ...
May I suggest that you contact the distributor Logan☺.
As I said you give Bunnings the cut order and screw it together.
Although it small it works.
The key is the sjortest pier you can get away with.
I cant park the scope in home position and that os not a problem for me...but a shorter pier would probably allow it to park North South.
Probably what really works for me is being able to sit as soon as I reach where I am going and being able to drag myself up..and with the low pier we all fit nicely.
Alex
Old 15-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

How much would this cost do you think?
Old 15-05-2018, 11:59 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
How much would this cost do you think?
I have not kept tabs but you need 3 sheets of ply 8 x 4 ft ( say $240? depends what you can buy a sheet for but it can be found cheap if you look around..or if you know a builder☺) cut to 4x4 and one of those cut to get a two foot section a six inch section and a one and half foot section ( the door etc) and the roof you cut to have two halves two ft each..about 25 ft of 1.5 inch square pine or 2 x 1.5 inch for framing (? per ft) which only goes in corners and door framing, one piece 4 inch by 4 ft for the tilt in the roof (? per ft) cut each piece on the diagonal and you have the roof..and say 100 hex bolts 8 hinges ($70 approx) and perhaps use iron for the ridge cap ($10?) rather than fiber glass ply bits to make it simpler.
Paint probably $70. But I used spray cans to do the cammo...but you should be able to round up some old paint..sealing is the priority.
I made the pier out of cement but had the mount attachement section already.
I used wood glue but in retrospect I would use contact cement for ease of assembly ...you frame the panels and screw most of the frames onto the panels ..contact probably wont do much other than hold stuff in place so you can screw it together.
I used drill tipped hex screws because they are fast..no drilling bang in in an instant with a cordless driver.
The key is to watch out for cheap ply...its only formwork type stuff although mine was rather pretty veneer...
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 15-05-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 15-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
I have not kept tabs but you need 3 sheets of ply 8 x 4 ft ( say $240? depends what you can buy a sheet for but it can be found cheap if you look around..or if you know a builder☺) cut to 4x4 and one of those cut to get a two foot section a six inch section and a one and half foot section ( the door etc) and the roof you cut to have two halves two ft each..about 25 ft of 1.5 inch square pine or 2 x 1.5 inch for framing (? per ft) which only goes in corners and door framing, one piece 4 inch by 4 ft for the tilt in the roof (? per ft) cut each piece on the diagonal and you have the roof..and say 100 hex bolts 8 hinges ($70 approx) and perhaps use iron for the ridge cap ($10?) rather than fiber glass ply bits to make it simpler.
Paint probably $70. But I used spray cans to do the cammo...but you should be able to round up some old paint..sealing is the priority.
I made the pier out of cement but had the mount attachement section already.
I used wood glue but in retrospect I would use contact cement for ease of assembly ...you frame the panels and screw most of the frames onto the panels ..contact probably wont do much other than hold stuff in place so you can screw it together.
I used drill tipped hex screws because they are fast..no drilling bang in in an instant with a cordless driver.
The key is to watch out for cheap ply...its only formwork type stuff although mine was rather pretty veneer...
Alex
I see, so not as cheap as i thought!
Old 15-05-2018, 03:28 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Cheaper than a dome.
Check out cheap form ply in Melbourne via goggle.
Alex
Old 15-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

An 8x4 at bunnings is 40 bucks so not too bad Is that the whole guide BTW?
Old 15-05-2018, 05:44 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
An 8x4 at bunnings is 40 bucks so not too bad Is that the whole guide BTW?
Pretty well if you are serious may I suggest to build one in balsa but trying to keep in mind that you are doing the big one..
Two panels put on a frame, these face each other and you bolt on the back panel and floor which needs a hole for the pier..a big hole is best so you can move the cube on and off.
The rear panel will need frame at top and bottom.
The front is a two ft panel a door 18 inches ans a 6 inch panel fastened at the corner.
Frame the door and the other panels.
I could do a movie maybe or at least some close ups for you tomorrow if I have time.
Alex
Old 15-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Pretty well if you are serious may I suggest to build one in balsa but trying to keep in mind that you are doing the big one..
Two panels put on a frame, these face each other and you bolt on the back panel and floor which needs a hole for the pier..a big hole is best so you can move the cube on and off.
The rear panel will need frame at top and bottom.
The front is a two ft panel a door 18 inches ans a 6 inch panel fastened at the corner.
Frame the door and the other panels.
I could do a movie maybe or at least some close ups for you tomorrow if I have time.
Alex
Thanks Alex. I am starting to build the mental picture I will try save up for this! I think that an obsy (like structure) would be a great investment though - go from setting up once a month to whenever its clear!
Old 16-05-2018, 06:52 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am unable to make a movie for you or the folks out there so I will leave it to you to make one when you build yours.
Alex
Old 16-05-2018, 11:50 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

Alex, you have 4 tube rings holding that new. Do you reckon that helps stability of the OTA? Thanks Chris
Old 16-05-2018, 01:36 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Alex, you have 4 tube rings holding that new. Do you reckon that helps stability of the OTA? Thanks Chris
I added the extra rings in the belief that it would reduce flexture if there was any...on the top all the rings are connected by a section of box alluminium bolted to each ring to add to the rigidity.

One day I plan to add sections of glassed in ply on the inside adding strength to regions around the focuser, the mount plate and connecting to a ply glassed in ply ring at section where the primary sits...
Also it is to gain baffles on the inside which will add to strength.
Its over kill but thats what I do.

Alex
Old 16-05-2018, 01:40 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Does it help?
I dont know but it cant hurt.
Alex
Old 16-05-2018, 02:43 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

It certainly looks sturdy.

I've got a spot in the yard that's a bit sky restricted to try the cube, just have to figure out how to make a pier. I'm sick of my wobbly wooden deck. Even the cat sends my mount into a frenzy!