Old 31-10-2017, 05:59 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

LiteCrawler

Just wondering if anyone has their hands on a Moonlite LiteCrawler yet? How do they perform?
Old 31-10-2017, 06:06 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I know Lee was planning on ordering one, not sure if he has yet or if it has arrived.
Old 31-10-2017, 06:24 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

I haven't ordered one yet, planning to but probably not for a couple of months. DaveNZ has apparently ordered one; hopefully we'll start hearing reports soon.
Old 31-10-2017, 10:57 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Hi Peter,
I have just installed the 3.5" Nitecrawler (not litecrawler) from moonlite, and am really liking it. Ive used it a little, but am in the process of installing it with my other hardware on the scope.

Josh
Old 24-11-2017, 05:20 AM
DaveNZ (Dave)

I have received and installed my "LiteCrawler" and first impressions over two nights are very positive. Focus position is very repeatable, holds my camera/guider with no issues. Works well with Sequence Generator Pro via ASCOM.

It maybe called a "LiteCrawler" but it is still a beast especially when coming from the 2.5" Moonlite focuser.

Dave down in NZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (_DSC9698.jpg)
207.6 KB186 views
Click for full-size image (_DSC9700.jpg)
210.6 KB160 views
Old 24-11-2017, 05:42 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Good to hear Dave. How have you attached the coma correcter to the drawtube?
Old 24-11-2017, 06:19 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

The GPU corrector screws into the 68mm focusing tube using an adapter from TS
Old 25-11-2017, 08:25 AM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
I have received and installed my "LiteCrawler" and first impressions over two nights are very positive. Focus position is very repeatable, holds my camera/guider with no issues. Works well with Sequence Generator Pro via ASCOM.

It maybe called a "LiteCrawler" but it is still a beast especially when coming from the 2.5" Moonlite focuser.

Dave down in NZ
Is the LiteCrawler a smaller version of the NiteCrawler? Had a look through Moonlite's website but couldn't immediately see it? Do you have a link to the LiteCrawler Dave?
Old 25-11-2017, 07:49 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

There's no link, it's not currently advertised. I've got mine on order now, my returned CRL is in PA, about an 1hr from Ron/Moonlite... hopefully the Lite Crawler will be on its way soon!

Specs are:
  • Format 2.5”
  • Profile 2.75”
  • Travel .3”
  • 12 lb. capacity
  • 374920 steps per revolution
  • .0000105” per step, or .2667 Microns per step
  • Uses 68mm Threaded Accessories
  • Has all features of NiteCrawler
  • Uses same NiteCrawler SW
  • Price $2150 USD (plus freight, plus GST, plus customs brokerage)

Basically designed for scopes that don't have as much backfocus available. You also can't get the flange extenders that are advertised for the Nite Crawler, but Ron's making me a custom flange (no extra charge) so that's possible.
Old 26-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Paul Haese

Lee, it's about a 4 week turn around at this stage. I returned my CRL and had Ron make a Night Crawler. It is in Melbourne and should be here on Wednesday or maybe Thursday if Aust Post perform in their usual way.
Old 26-11-2017, 09:15 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Good to hear yours is almost here, Paul; hope it meets or exceeds expectations!

I asked Ron for an ETA on the Lite Crawler earlier today; apparently my flange is scheduled for production on Monday and they hope to have it assembled by the end of the week so hopefully mine will come a bit quicker than 4 weeks.

Did you get yours posted through USPS? How quick was the customs process? I've asked to freight via a courier because from what I've read about Aus Post it sounds slow... having purchased 2 mounts and 1 scope requiring import taxes I found UPS to be very fast, thus why I asked for a courier (Ron doesn't have accounts with UPS so it's either DHL or USPS).
Old 27-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Good to hear yours is almost here, Paul; hope it meets or exceeds expectations!

I asked Ron for an ETA on the Lite Crawler earlier today; apparently my flange is scheduled for production on Monday and they hope to have it assembled by the end of the week so hopefully mine will come a bit quicker than 4 weeks.

Did you get yours posted through USPS? How quick was the customs process? I've asked to freight via a courier because from what I've read about Aus Post it sounds slow... having purchased 2 mounts and 1 scope requiring import taxes I found UPS to be very fast, thus why I asked for a courier (Ron doesn't have accounts with UPS so it's either DHL or USPS).
USPS, which got it here to Australia quickly but as per normal little if any updates once it gets into our system. Aust Post runs the updates here but they are hopeless anyway on tracking generally.
Old 30-11-2017, 05:45 PM
DaveNZ (Dave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
USPS, which got it here to Australia quickly but as per normal little if any updates once it gets into our system. Aust Post runs the updates here but they are hopeless anyway on tracking generally.
Similar over ditch here in NZ.

Ron sent it DHL. Arrived in Auckalnd in a few days, then a slow process with Customs/GST. Quickest way was to ring DHL in Auckalnd and pay GST over the phone. Package was released that day.
Old 30-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Similar over ditch here in NZ.

Ron sent it DHL. Arrived in Auckalnd in a few days, then a slow process with Customs/GST. Quickest way was to ring DHL in Auckalnd and pay GST over the phone. Package was released that day.
I got information today from Customs Australia where they said it would be up to 10 days before a notice was issued regarding my parcel being held by them and then it would take 3 days to get here by mail (they don't do it via email or over the phone). Once I had paid the GST and duties it would take another 5 days for the rotator/focuser to arrive here. I am wondering if I will see it this side of Christmas. BTW they would not let me ring them and make payment to expedite the process I have to wait for the snail mail. Gotta love customs.
Old 30-11-2017, 06:45 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
I got information today from Customs Australia where they said it would be up to 10 days before a notice was issued regarding my parcel being held by them and then it would take 3 days to get here by mail (they don't do it via email or over the phone). Once I had paid the GST and duties it would take another 5 days for the rotator/focuser to arrive here. I am wondering if I will see it this side of Christmas. BTW they would not let me ring them and make payment to expedite the process I have to wait for the snail mail. Gotta love customs.
Which is why UPS is worrh every penny. They ring me when the parcel is inbound, with the GST and processing fee, and i pay over the phone, it goes straight through customs and out of their warehouse via the courier. I realise not every supplier offers UPS, and its not cheap, but when your spending thousands, what's another hundred to expedite the process.
Old 30-11-2017, 07:03 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

That's exactly what I was worried about with Aus Post. Ron said DHL take about 2-3 days and handle the customs brokerage, so I expect a similar experience with them as I've had with UPS. We'll see how that turns out...

Then again, not sure why I'm concerned, we've had nothing but cloud and rain here for ages, no end in sight either.
Old 30-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I’ve found UPS/FedEx call to take the customs charges and their fee for the privilege of doing what they’re obligated to do...but it does speed up the process.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:32 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Yeah, I'm incredibly impatient so I'm generally happy to pay a bit extra and get it faster. Ron shipped my Lite Crawler on Monday in PA, USA via DHL. I paid the customs / import fees this morning and tonight I have an email from Australia Post telling me they'll be delivering it tomorrow. Of course out here that means delivering it to the post office where we have to go pick it up, but still, can't be happier with the speed of delivery / processing. Well worth it IMO.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:20 PM
sharpiel

Getting excited? I can't wait to see it.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Just a bit :-) Here it is installed on the 8" ONTC with ASI 1600, ASI 174, TS OAG9, Nautilus EFW and Gerd Neumann camera tilting unit. Not quite sure if the spacing is right, will have to see how I go when I get some clear skies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1200.jpg)
101.6 KB130 views