Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-05-2016, 06:11 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Windows 10 SMS App?

Does anyone know of an app I could use to receive a copy of any SMSes sent to my phone on my PC (windows 10)?

I have no phone coverage at home at all, but good internet. I would like to know when someone sends me an SMS and be able to respond from home, so it needs to be an app/program rather than a webpage so it can run the background.

Microsoft promotes MySMS, but... now get this... it doesn't work with a Windows phone... ... just Android and iPhone. My work phone is Windows, of course, and the only one I have.

Al.
Old 29-05-2016, 06:24 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
Microsoft promotes MySMS, but... now get this... it doesn't work with a Windows phone... ... just Android and iPhone.
Al.
Why oh why does that not surprise me.
Maybe they're hoping Apple et al will reciprocate the favour.

Old 29-05-2016, 07:55 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Ahhh. Just found another piece to the puzzle...

MySMS appears to be affiliated in some way with Google, but Microsoft is planning to build SMS messaging into windows 10 itself:

http://www.windowscentral.com/you-ca...ges-windows-10

Patience padewan...

Al.
Old 30-05-2016, 12:18 AM
acropolite (Phil)

I'd have thought that the phone would have something to do with the relay of messages, out of range and the messages probably wouldn't be forwarded.
Telstra had an app called Text Buddy, worked very well and allowed sending of texts using your mobile number. Not sure why, but they withdrew it from distribution some time ago.

We still use it at work, I think I might still have a copy of the executable floating around which might give you a part solution (not sure but you may need to register your number).

Re the poor reception, I have the same problem at the shack. I bought a 13dBi yagi, went from no signal to 3/4 bars, needs an antenna connector on the phone though. I believe that there are "passive" cradles that can couple signal to the handset from an external antenna. Might be worth investigating.