Old 19-03-2020, 07:06 PM
Martin Pugh

DSLR Flats

Hi folks....here is a question for you DSLR astrophotographers.

I am using an Aurora light panel to get my DSLR (Canon 5D MKIII) flats.

Firstly, I presume it is unnecessary to get flats at the same ISO value as your lights right?

Secondly, how are you gauging the right exposure? Are you measuring the linearity of your DSLR like you would with a 16bit CCD camera?

thanks
Martin
Old 19-03-2020, 07:28 PM
RyanJones

Hi Martin,

A good question. What you’re trying to achieve in a flat is a panel of luminance to provide your processing software with a “ map “ of the way that light is hitting the flat surface of your sensor. Variances in curvature and interferences with scratches or debris In your optical train will effect the luminance across the map of your sensor. With this in mind, it is easier to understand how you need to go about taking your flats. You need to illuminate the sensor as much as possible to expose the faults but not so high that you end up clipping the top end of the histogram. An easy was to do this although not perfect is to set your camera to Exposure Priority. Your camera will then assess the light coming in and set your camera up accordingly to revive the highest dynamic range without clipping.

I hope this helps
Old 19-03-2020, 07:51 PM
RB (Andrew)

Martin, I always did my dslr flats using 100 ISO and gauged the exposure to be around 1/3 to 1/2 the histogram using my lumi flat panel.

Hope that helps.

RB