Old 05-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Torry

New here :)

Hi all, Im new here and do tons of astro photography. Im still in the process of getting some better optics (Telescope) that I take pictures from. You can view my photos on my face book page just look up (Torrey Spinelli)

Thank you,

Torrey
Old 11-12-2011, 06:36 AM
ad602000 (Pete)
L plates

Hi All,
Have been a member for just over 2 years, my first post, have been sort of intrigued by astronomy for a long time, but did nothing about it. I purchased a second hand meade lx50 8" with a swag of extras the other day. So i will have to learn now. If nothing else it will be interesting

cheers
Pete

Last edited by ad602000; 11-12-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Welcome aboard Pete.

Better late than never, enjoy your new scope.

Cheers
Old 11-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Welcome Pete.
2 years in and one post your doing really well.
Enjoy your astronomy.
Cheers Kev.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry View Post
Hi all, Im new here and do tons of astro photography. Im still in the process of getting some better optics (Telescope) that I take pictures from. You can view my photos on my face book page just look up (Torrey Spinelli)

Thank you,

Torrey
Torrey, I look forward to seeing some of your images posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad602000 View Post
Hi All,
Have been a member for just over 2 years, my first post, have been sort of intrigued by astronomy for a long time, but did nothing about it. I purchased a second hand meade lx50 8" with a swag of extras the other day. So i will have to learn now. If nothing else it will be interesting

cheers
Pete
Hi Pete, better late than never!
Old 27-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Astral_82 (Nathan)

Smile Hello! Brand new newbie!

Hi Everyone!

I have always been interested in Astronomy, but other than looking up items of interest on Google and watching documentaries, I haven't really done anything.

This Christmas, I received a telescope as a gift! Now, as I am astronomy & telescope illiterate, and to give you more seasoned astronomers a giggle, I think it is the following:

Foco D=114 mm F=900 mm

My housemate is going to help me assemble it tomorrow. I would love to have a peep at the planets firstly, and if the telescope is strong enough, maybe some nebulas? But I have no idea how I know where to point it! Are there any books or web pages that can help with that sort of stuff?

Any and all info & tips would be great! I think there is a Tassie Astronomy group which I am going to look into joining (I am from QLD originally) but would love to start looking sooner!

Many thanks,
Old 27-12-2011, 09:14 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Nathan

Yes, get it together and then experiment during the day by pointing it at distant hills. (NOT THE SUN!) Yes, the view will be upside down or whatever, but you can experience finding where focus is on distant objects.

Then you should try for Jupiter, which is the brightest "star" high up in the northern sky in the evenings, at present. In a couple of days, you'll have a nice crescent Moon in the west to look at, soon after sunset.

Get up early and you can try for Saturn which is a bright "star" low in the East before sunrise.

Also up in the East and high in the sky through the night is the constellation of Orion. The middle "star" of the belt is where the Orion nebula is to be found. See the image.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Orion Nebula.jpg)
28.8 KB92 views
Old 28-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Astral_82 (Nathan)

Hi Eric

Thanks for your reply! Alas to say I was called into work today and didn't get to set it up - but it is cloudy outside so I don't think I would have seen much.

So everything is upside down? I thought it would only be like that in the little "scope" but I guess I wouldn't know if the planet was upside down or not!

Have just discovered another Beginners thread with books & websites to look at, so will have to poke around in there.

Thanks heaps for your help, and when I eventually do get it a) set up and b) a clear sky, will let you know!

Nathan
Old 28-12-2011, 12:22 AM
wood88

Hi all,

Me and the rest of the family just got my dad a telescope. Both him and I have always been interested in astronomy. But we are having a few problems setting up his scope.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ewpost&t=84760

Hopefully my dad and i will be able to learn a lot from this forum.

Cheers
Old 01-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Bailey

Hi, I have absolutely no idea what to do with my telescope. I have worked out how to look at the moon and all, and it's really good, but as for planets, stars, nebula(If i can actually see them with my telescope) etc I'm hopeless. Any ideas for help? And how do you work out the altitudes? In my book it has all these degrees for stars and planets but I don't know how to find it. My telescope is a Saxon 3" Reflector Telescope, if that's of any use. By the way, the reason I'm pretty hopeless at this is because I'm 13. Could i please have some help or tips or something? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM
stardust steve (Steve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Hi, I have absolutely no idea what to do with my telescope. I have worked out how to look at the moon and all, and it's really good, but as for planets, stars, nebula(If i can actually see them with my telescope) etc I'm hopeless. Any ideas for help? And how do you work out the altitudes? In my book it has all these degrees for stars and planets but I don't know how to find it. My telescope is a Saxon 3" Reflector Telescope, if that's of any use. By the way, the reason I'm pretty hopeless at this is because I'm 13. Could i please have some help or tips or something? Thanks.
Hi Bailey. I too have a 76mm telescope. The best info i can tell you is what i do with mine. I get a star map, identify a constellation or bright star, then star hop from there. That gives you some idea where to head. We are limited to what we can see and when the eyepieces are changed to a higher mag, the object dims. The 3x Barlow lens that came with the scope works well. With mine, i can make out the gas cloud of the Orion Nebula( map for that just a few posts below). I can see Jupiter and 3 of its moons and can just make out two orange type stripes. Star clusters are fun too. I can see Saturns rings aswell. All be it still very small but still easy to see. Star maps really help me out. Really dark skies help too. I hope this helps

Last edited by stardust steve; 01-01-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 AM
scagman (John)

Hi Bailey to IIS, you've come to the right place to ask questions.
I'm just learning all this stuff to and found a program like stellarium which is free from http://www.stellarium.org/ and will help you see and learn what you a looking at. Also somethng like this http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories...oductview.aspx is good as you can take it out with the telescope if you dont have a laptop you can take outside with you.
Hope this helps a bit. the best way to learn is to try and get to some observing nights at a local club near you, they will be able to help you much more in person than reading about it on the net or books.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:55 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi Wood 88
What probs specifically are you having?

Malcolm
Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 AM
eamsie (Jessie Eames)

Hi, just thought I would be polite and introduce myself to this forum. I've been quite keen on astronomy ever since I was a youngin. Thought it would be great to communicate with other like minded people. Unfortunately I don't have too much knowledge which is also why I am here.

I am always one who happens to have bad luck with unique space sightings/eclipses and so forth, so if you know of anything spectacular coming up, I'd love to hear about it!

Peace.

Last edited by eamsie; 09-01-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Jezza22 (Jeremy)

Hi all,

Am getting started with hobby astronomy, and would like to see on what journey it takes me. I'm from country NSW (mum and dads), so normally (apart from tonight) the skies are clear and can see near on everything.

So why not............

Am looking at a 12'' dob GOTO, they seem to be everyone's beginner recommendation scope (the dob), but just want to see wether or not in the future it would be possible to attempt to take pics through this. Or at least a download onto a laptop. Is the only means to do this through CCD??

I figure I also need 3-4 quality eyepieces with a 2x barlow to give a few mag options, good star charts and a few books.

Kind of really only want to buy things once, so better spend up now than replace later.

Any other tips???
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

gday Jeremy to IIS

Oh yes go the 12inch dobbie its an awsome scope i love mine to bits

Yes you can take pics of the moon and planets etc not so much the deep sky stuff as you cant take very long exposures but if you are like me and do like a bit of both worlds viewing and a bit of imaging to show off to your friends yep the dobbie is the go
Download stellarium also its a great program and its free

Check out Toms jupiter pics taken with the 12inch goto dob

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=82112
Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Jezza22 (Jeremy)

Cheers Jen,

Do have stellarium, its sort of actually been the final straw to push me into a proper scope. The old man has this ancient old thing, good for the moon only nowadays, had a hard life. This one however will not!

Would like to view, play with one at a star night, but from what I can see either the Telescope shop in Sydney or Myastroshop seem to be the place to spend the money. Both around $2200ish.

Actually now I have people who know what they are talking about.......... The old man said he'd top up the bank to buy a celestron CPC1100. Again another GOTO scope but i'm sure people here know that. Any ads/disadvantages of this type of cassegrain type thing. looks quite different/short. The thing with this one, the telescope shop is about $3k cheaper.

Just buy the dob???
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

yep depends on what you really want to do in the future i think we all need at least need 3 scopes to be happy with a viewing scope with huge app the bigger the better (dob) the 12" was the biggest i could go as they are quite heavy for little old me to carry around ( i got a trolly for xmas so i can carry it around by myself now woohooo) a nice refractor for imaging and a solar scope oh and a pair of binos are fun too

Go to Andrews Communications in Sydney they are the cheapest around

happy shopping cheers
Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Damian James (Damian)

Hello!

Been lurking for a few weeks, thought I should say hello.

I'm in Brisbane, and hesitate to even call myself a beginner: rather I'd dearly like to get started one of these days. Spent some time staring long and hard at Jupiter through little 10x25 handheld binoculars over the last few weeks, thinking I could almost see something more than a dancing white dot.

I do wonder what events in the Brisbane area might be suitable by way of introduction, and whether yet another expensive hobby means I have to sell the second car. I see a lot of advice to start with binoculars on a tripod, though I wonder what the most cost-effective way to see detail on objects within the solar system might be. And I guess how far one has to go to see an detail on Jovian moons...

But mostly, this is just "hi". I'm interested in the subject from a few angles, having always regretted not pursuing astrophysics at Uni but maintaining a dilettantish interest. From what I've seen here, there's a broad spectrum of folks with similar interests, so doubly "hello!".
Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Hi Damian,

Initially the most cost effective way to get started is to use other peoples equipment. I am fairly new at using telescopes to observe the night sky. Everyone I have met who has a scope is more than willing to share their knowledge and the views on offer at the eyepiece. I used a pair of 7 x 50 binoculars mounted on a parallelogram for years. A tripod will do the job of keeping the binoculars stable and allow you to take your time scanning the sky.

Most clubs hold public observing meetings. In Brisbane we have at least three clubs that do this. Brisbane Astronomical Society holds public observing meetings at Mt Coot-tha. Southern Astronomical Society holds their meetings at Ormeau and SEQAS at Bracken Ridge.

You will be able to see the Moon, Globular Clusters, Open Clusters, Planets and Nebula. The views and advice are free. You can then work out in which direction you want head in astronomy.

I am a member of BAS. This is a link to their calander of events www.bas.asn.au/calendar_2012.html

Regards,
Stu.