Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-05-2020, 08:17 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Wild Weather in Geelong

Some of you may have heard about some wild weather in Geelong last night. We moved to Geelong to the Mt Duneed area in late 2018. We were woken by a VERY loud BOOOOM last night. We thought it was just a nearby lightning strike. We do get some pretty spectacular thunderstorms down here being fairly close to the coast, so just confirmed we still had power and went back to sleep. Turns out the boom was the downburst/tornado. Houses around the corner from us have sustained fairly major damage. Roofs ripped off etc. Our neighbourhood was on the news (which is a first!!). We had no house damage.....BUT (and this is big BUT!) I had left one of my sets of gear setup in the backyard after a very successful few days of imaging. It had tipped over😱😱😱!!! Mount, Stellarvue scope, ASI 1600MM pro camera, filter wheel and all the bits and pieces.I pulled it all apart this morning and brought it in to dry (critical bits were still OK in their covers that I use) before I headed out for day. Just done a full inspection and all appears OK. The OAG may be damaged, but was considering replacing that anyways. LESSON LEARNT!! Check those forecasts!!
Old 20-05-2020, 08:57 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Given the strength of the wind last night it's good that it wasn't sucked up into the vortex!
Glad to hear that you didn't sustain any significant damage.
Old 20-05-2020, 09:00 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Yeah,
Pretty bad across the Bellarine..I had to lock down the ROR lid to make sure it didn't decide to take off.....
I got caught in Heathcote many years ago...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Obs_wind02.jpg)
57.8 KB110 views
Old 22-05-2020, 07:01 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Well it is now official, the damage was caused by a genuine, bona fide Tornado!! (albeit only a category 1,) so I guess that makes us official "Tornado Chasers", despite having pretty much slept through most of the action!!
Old 23-05-2020, 08:24 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That's bloody scary.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:03 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Experienced one bona-fide tornado on the Sunshine Coast in QLD once many years ago. In no rush to experience another! (it was a tornado, not a water spout).