Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
You can't tell me nuthin'
It's spelt .... ' Nothing '
Old 28-11-2018, 05:55 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Kindy was the best until I pulled this girl very long hair and ended up in the corner.
Old 29-11-2018, 01:19 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

I enjoyed most of school from grades 1-10. I was the target of 1 or 2 bullies thoughout this time, but unlike various success stories posted previously, I did nothing about it. From grade 9 onwards, I tended to disregard homework, and only did assignments that "counted" towards marks. I went from an A/B student, to C/D. Too much fun was to be had riding motorbikes and shooting out in the boonies where we lived.

Both my Folks were from Army families. My Old Man had attended 15 schools by the time he joined the Army himself after Yr10. My Folks vowed to spare us kids that - so we were fortunate enough to attend 1 school from Yr 1-12. This was in the 80s-90s, a good time to grow up on reflection.

My main problem was that I hated structured learning. Things were either too slow for me (english, history, Pre-Yr10 science), or too fast (post Yr10 science, any maths). Once science subjects depended on maths for proof, I was out.

Upon finishing Yr12, my grades were so sad, I could only qualify for a handful of degrees at Uni: "Women's Studies", "Indigenous Studies", Graphic Design, Education (ironic much?), or a generic BA, that any fool could trip and pass.

Having always been keen on 3D modelling/rendering/animation etc with the trusty Amiga, graphic design was it! Nope again... It would appear no such content was developed until 3rd year of the degree, and I was somewhat ahead of my time (in this locality at least). Occasionally, I was called to help in lectures, and was the unpaid runaround tutor for practical sessions.

The big upside, was that my entire university textbook bill was $16.95. Between that, and a $4100 PC (scrounged from Woolies work and Mango picking), I thought it wasn't bad going

My biggest gratitude is to my current employer, who values initiative and creativity in problem solving more than the promises made by some "ticket". Our current team at work includes degrees in education, graphic design, and chemical engineering - barely any of which is needed or used.

I'd encourage everyone to get the best education available to them, but refrain from necking themselves if their marks aren't the best. There's often work for people who can solve problems, especially the type they don't write degrees for
Old 29-11-2018, 02:44 AM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
I enjoyed most of school from grades 1-10. I was the target of 1 or 2 bullies thoughout this time, but unlike various success stories posted previously, I did nothing about it. From grade 9 onwards, I tended to disregard homework, and only did assignments that "counted" towards marks. I went from an A/B student, to C/D. Too much fun was to be had riding motorbikes and shooting out in the boonies where we lived.

Both my Folks were from Army families. My Old Man had attended 15 schools by the time he joined the Army himself after Yr10. My Folks vowed to spare us kids that - so we were fortunate enough to attend 1 school from Yr 1-12. This was in the 80s-90s, a good time to grow up on reflection.

My main problem was that I hated structured learning. Things were either too slow for me (english, history, Pre-Yr10 science), or too fast (post Yr10 science, any maths). Once science subjects depended on maths for proof, I was out.

Upon finishing Yr12, my grades were so sad, I could only qualify for a handful of degrees at Uni: "Women's Studies", "Indigenous Studies", Graphic Design, Education (ironic much?), or a generic BA, that any fool could trip and pass.

Having always been keen on 3D modelling/rendering/animation etc with the trusty Amiga, graphic design was it! Nope again... It would appear no such content was developed until 3rd year of the degree, and I was somewhat ahead of my time (in this locality at least). Occasionally, I was called to help in lectures, and was the unpaid runaround tutor for practical sessions.

The big upside, was that my entire university textbook bill was $16.95. Between that, and a $4100 PC (scrounged from Woolies work and Mango picking), I thought it wasn't bad going

My biggest gratitude is to my current employer, who values initiative and creativity in problem solving more than the promises made by some "ticket". Our current team at work includes degrees in education, graphic design, and chemical engineering - barely any of which is needed or used.

I'd encourage everyone to get the best education available to them, but refrain from necking themselves if their marks aren't the best. There's often work for people who can solve problems, especially the type they don't write degrees for
I applaud your honesty Andy. Nice post and good to see you made it turn out well for yourself and your family (if that applies).
Old 29-11-2018, 08:32 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I moved around and so learnt to fight because each new school saw a line up of fools who thought they had a new victim.
I learnt early as soon as one started to rip them to bits.
I learnt that the defeated became my best friends.
I liked school never missed a day unless real sick.
I was good at science because I liked chemistry.
The woodwork and metal work classes serve me to this day.
And I alomost learnt how to read and write☺
Alex
Old 29-11-2018, 08:36 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
I totally can relate to this. I ended up as a self employed contractor very early after landing here. There were opportunities at the time but you need the paper to get work these days. I encouraged both my kids to get it. Experience comes on top so does problem solving but you need the tools to apply.
Old 29-11-2018, 08:40 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

In real estate you get many sales trainers and motivation tapes.
One guy said he loved that folk got degrees so he could employ them.
I like that idea.
Alex
Old 29-11-2018, 10:00 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

Yeah school was pretty easy for me in the early 70s to 80s.
Our school actually had an observatory built on the grounds by ASSA around 1961.
Unfortunately it was never available to students when I was there.
It was part of science when I left.grrrr.
It housed a 10" Schmidt cassagranian which the telescope and observatory remains were relocated to Modbury Heights Tafe and still there today.
I was always intrigued in what was inside but could never get in (we tried).
It must have inspired me to learn for myself.
It was a good hiding spot for smokers on the back oval.
Teachers could never sneak up so there was plenty of time to hide anything.
It was all pretty easy those days when you look back but at the time it seemed hard.
Cheers
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2018-11-29-07-51-15-1.jpg)
116.5 KB18 views
Click for full-size image (Screenshot_2018-11-29-07-50-21.jpg)
165.2 KB16 views
Old 29-11-2018, 06:15 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Freakhurst Public School in the 70s done me good. Rough and tumble and a lot of distractions, but I had some great teachers. I still have happy memories of my science teacher who got hell from us but taught me heaps.

I reckon a public school gave me the greatest life skills in coping with many types of people and situations, and learning/thinking for myself. It got me a PhD - and I'm still learning.
Old 29-11-2018, 07:27 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

I enjoyed parts of it the couple of really dedicated "teachers" I came across in primary and high school i still remember fondly . Where i grew up well , end of year 7 kids with shop tattoos wernt unusual they were probably 14 or so and had been been kept back over the years and most bailed to work end of year 8.

Year 9 one teacher continually chain smoked all through class
he was made a clay ashtray (i thought you were one of the bad boys he said quite overcome with the gesture)the base loaded with black powder ignited when he stubbed his second ciggy out in it fire brigade evacuation, mountains of smoke and the said teacher wasnt believed when he said it just went whoosh, and was never to smoke another fag in a classroom , no one ever told .

I got to year 11 but wasnt going to school on test days , the head suggested i just go home and not come back , I thought in time this to be sage advice and did exactly what he said .

Despite me not engaging at all with education mostly i did enjoy school.
Old 29-11-2018, 09:21 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
I applaud your honesty Andy. Nice post and good to see you made it turn out well for yourself and your family (if that applies).
Thanks Paul. Writing that wall of garb was not nearly as fun as reading everyone else's

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I moved around and so learnt to fight because each new school saw a line up of fools who thought they had a new victim.
I learnt early as soon as one started to rip them to bits.
I learnt that the defeated became my best friends...
...And I alomost learnt how to read and write☺
Alex
Despite the touchy feely rubbish that goes on in today's schools, this is really how it is. I feel the (relatively) primitive minds of young people respect power, before they consider consequence, or need for harmony. Hence, modern, top down approaches to bullying are feeble compared to a victim simply putting a blunt, and absolute end to it themselves. I wish I had listened to myself in that situation, rather than all the "fluff" telling me that "violence is wrong".

The biggest surprise in this bullying soap opera was that I had successfully avoided every sports day from Yr 3-11. In Yr 12, our house teacher (dishonestly) stated that we would NOT recieve our senior certificate if failed to attend. We believed her, and attended. I placed 3rd in the whole school for 100m and long jump, and was chosen for the school team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I totally can relate to this. I ended up as a self employed contractor very early after landing here. There were opportunities at the time but you need the paper to get work these days. I encouraged both my kids to get it. Experience comes on top so does problem solving but you need the tools to apply.
I have an elderly Chinese Malay friend, who told his kids "I don't care what you become when you grow up, but you WILL do well at school, so that the choice is yours to make. You can be a garbage truck driver if you like, but only if you choose to be". They were confined to their room until all homework was done. The eldest is now a doctor, the other an accountant. I think he was stressing the point of "needing the tools to apply".

I'm trying to guide my kids in a similar way, but I think my parenting style is lacking
Old 01-12-2018, 11:00 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
I'm trying to guide my kids in a similar way, but I think my parenting style is lacking
Gotta admit my style was a bit totalitarian, home wasn't a democracy when it came to homework. Nothing wrong with plan B though, becoming a rock star, a personal gym trainer or a "designer", but that's why it's called plan B.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:15 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

The question is:- Did you enjoy going to School ?

Simple answer - No.

More detailed answer - I went to two Catholic schools in Newcastle, it cost my parents a fair bit of money but they thought this was the best thing they could do for their kids. Of my secondary school teachers, five were later jailed for interfering with the children (well, actually four were jailed for interfering, one was jailed for perverting the course of justice). These teachers never had a go at me - I was the second ugliest kid in the school, and they had a lot of fresh meat to choose from.

I was also clueless about this stuff, I didn't understand at the start why the other kids would say "Bums to the wall, Denham's on the crawl." Eventually I learned, fortunately secondhand information. Other guys were not so lucky, the interfering cost them their lives. I remember my fallen comrades, and hope that if there is a god, he or she will give them an eternal rest more peaceful than what their life was like.

There were 1200 boys in the school when I was there, and it was Lord of the Flies all over. The sharks were looking for smaller fish to eat. I hid out in the library at lunch, and I stopped taking the school bus. I got beaten up a lot on that school bus. I started walking a couple of km to Adamstown and got the regular public transport instead. That was a good move.

The good in school - I liked science, maths, and tech drawing.

After school - I left school with a great deal of relief, began work as an electrical fitter and studied electronics at TAFE and programming at uni. I've just finished a PhD in elec. engineering (at 60 years old), and while it was a lot of work and took eight years part time, it was also really worthwhile and enjoyable.

My own child's experience - I sent my daughter to a public school, and she got beat up on. It made me feel sick when I found out. She is not the kind of kid to talk about her troubles. For the last seven years she went to a small Christian school out the back of Penrith, where the teachers were relaxed enough that they had Harry Potter novels on the library shelves. It cost money, and it was a choice of either buying a house or getting her private education. We didn't get the house, but the education was worth it.

She had an experience polar opposite to mine - her teachers cared for her, treated her as their own kid, her mates were decent and stuck together and helped each other, they grew up as friends and today she is a wonderful, well-balanced woman with a good sense of humour and a compassionate nature. For this I am grateful beyond measure. I would trade ten houses for such an outcome, and consider it a bargain.

Conclusion - School is not the end. Sometimes it's not even the start. Some guys are academically excellent. Others aren't. That does not matter much at all. What matters is the social world, do the guys work together and try to make it work for everyone, or does the school foster an attitude of predation ? The school I grew up in has gone, its teachers dispersed to the four winds (or in jail) and I for one am glad of it. The miseries of my schooling were the subject of a royal commission, and all the world heard about the evils of supposedly religious people.

My daughter experienced the blessings of what is supposedly the same philosophy, and remembers her schooling with happiness. I think it is not the name tag on the organisation, but the intent of the members that makes it good or bad. While my time at school was pretty rank, it has made me aware of the possibilities, and I hope that the future will benefit from this lesson of the past. All of us have had crap in our lives. The main thing is to ensure the crap stops here.

Regards,
Tony Barry
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

What I did enjoy was being able to beat all the teachers at chess and to be able to draw better than all of them ☺
Alex