Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 23-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Jupiter May 20th

Imaged Jupiter May 20th in poor to average conditions but have a reasonable level of detail all thing considered. I note a small red oval on the Northern edge of the SPR. This feature is seen in all data from this session particularly so in the animations. There is a reasonable depth of detail resolved in the NPR, 3 prominent festoons are seen in the EZ along its border with the NEB. There is a nice line up of small white ovals in the STB and a diffuse dark feature can be seen in the STrZ, maybe the STB Spectre. All data from this session has now been uploaded to PVOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (j2017-05-20_10-42_ir_tba.jpg)
26.3 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (j2017-05-20_11-17-06_rgb_tba.png)
152.8 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (j2017-05-20_10-30_685nmIR_tba.gif)
156.8 KB34 views
Old 23-05-2017, 08:44 PM
h0ughy (David)

-awesome colour composite
Old 23-05-2017, 09:30 PM
blinky (Leigh)

Nice images in such average/poor seeing!
I'm a relative newcomer to planetary imaging and am wondering what all the lingo means (e.g. STB spectre and STrZ) or more so where I might go to learn It? I can guess some of it but would like to know for certain.
thanks for sharing
Old 23-05-2017, 10:10 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
Nice images in such average/poor seeing!
I'm a relative newcomer to planetary imaging and am wondering what all the lingo means (e.g. STB spectre and STrZ) or more so where I might go to learn It? I can guess some of it but would like to know for certain.
thanks for sharing
Google ( Named belts zones Jupiter ) plenty there Leigh
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (map.jpg)
43.1 KB14 views
Old 23-05-2017, 10:31 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Imaged Jupiter May 20th in poor to average conditions but have a reasonable level of detail all thing considered. I note a small red oval on the Northern edge of the SPR. This feature is seen in all data from this session particularly so in the animations. There is a reasonable depth of detail resolved in the NPR, 3 prominent festoons are seen in the EZ along its border with the NEB. There is a nice line up of small white ovals in the STB and a diffuse dark feature can be seen in the STrZ, maybe the STB Spectre. All data from this session has now been uploaded to PVOL.
Very smooth Image/s Trevor, plenty of aperture is advantage , huh.
Tho I'm seeing the colour of recent jupiter's from a few peeps now-a-days turning Juup this quite yellow peach'y colour, and not much contrast over the surface, compared to last year & before - Even Hubble presents it rather dramatic violent planet as Juup is,

Now, some juups are looking like a lonely dull peach in a far off paddock ! too me anyway
Is this a result of RGB Imaging, lacking something - or is it just personal preference ?
sorry for being behind times & Ive missed something
Old 24-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Thanks David, Leigh & Bob.

Leigh, the nomenclature for the various latitudes of Jupiter are well covered in the chart posted by Bob.

Bob, the level of seeing is everything and the level of detail in any data reflects that. I am not a fan of over processing I dislike with a passion seeing good data butchered and try to be sympathetic to the conditions the data was captured in. Colour balance is quite subjective and many imagers go with their particular tastes which sometimes has little to do with the actual reality. Their are a couple of imagers whose work I greatly respect and who produce very consistent work regarding colour balance. The colour of some features does change over time, with Jupiter the GRS is a good example of this. With Saturn this is much easier as the rings should be grey to white with the colours within the atmosphere changing over time depending on the season. I am old school regarding colour imaging of the planets and my camera of choice is always monochrome with the best quality filters available. I do note, at times, particularly strange colour coming from colour cameras. Good seeing helps considerably.

Regards
Trevor
Old 24-05-2017, 02:18 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Thanx for this kind reply and answer's, Trevor.
Your details are indeed exquisite & I do like thew colours & tones you have.
I have just had a look at the PVOL site and your history there is impressive indeed, credits your way for the astro sector on planetary !!
I also notice your images with said colours/toning are very consistent and have been over the years there ! wow.
Another eye opener for this duck ,,

Kind Rgrds !
Old 24-05-2017, 08:23 PM
blinky (Leigh)

Thanks Trevor, and thanks again Bob
Have since been to PVOL and also your website! http://www.trevsastronomy.webs.com/
Great amateur astronomy story Trevor, thanks for taking the time to write about your experiences and make them publicly available. Really inspiring stuff. I recommend people take the time to have a look.

regards

Leigh
Old 28-05-2017, 01:20 PM
Maurice

Nice work Trevor

Cheers
Maurice