Old 18-05-2017, 10:42 PM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Recommend a torch?

Looking for a quality torch - something bright and durable (not for star parties!). I've had a look at a few Ledlenser torches at Aussie Disposals, and they seem nice (but expensive). Just a compact, quality torch that will slip into a pocket and throw a good beam.

Any recommendations?
Old 19-05-2017, 12:41 AM
hobbit

I highly recommend the fenix tk16. Been using one for the past year
led lenser is overpriced for what you get
Old 19-05-2017, 08:47 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I have 2 LedLensers...good....but...

My most used torch is an unbranded cheap chinese thing (not a single name, piece of writing, sticker on it) my gunshop gave me. Has a magnet in the base so you can stick it at any angle, the main beam itself is BRIGHTER than a LedLenser AND more point-focused, and it also slides open for a 3" long LED strip for broad illumination etc. Battery life is better in it than the LedLensers - significantly so (uses same 4 x AAA).

Cost - I was given mine as a sample, but RRP I believe is $19.95 - kinda just a wee bit cheaper than an LedLenser, just with NIL warranty etc (but who cares at that price).
Old 19-05-2017, 09:05 AM
doppler (Rick)

+1 for the Chinese unbranded from ebay. I have bought a few over the years all under $10 with free postage. The best ones run of rechargeable LI-ION batteries, (3.7v 18650). These batteries and chargers are also much cheaper to buy online ($2 ea). There are plenty of these Chinese suppliers with warehouses in Australia if you look. Just don't go too cheap as the really cheap ones, under $5 can be a bit iffy.
Old 19-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Hoges (John)

You've got the liteshop.com.au and ledtorchshop.com.au (first is Melb - I think and the other is in Geelong) I've dealt with both several times and they've both been great. A couple of things I look for in a torch is a 'moonlight' mode - 1 lumen or so that you can switch on in the middle of the night without blinding yourself. Some sort of low battery warning system - some of the earlier led lights would just go from full power to off when they ran out. And several light outputs. While you're at it, pick up a red filter for it at the same time.

If you're wanting to stick with AA's, I have a Sunwayman D40A which is excellent - I think it's been replaced with the F40A. Thrunite make the TN4a also. (I have the larger version of this which is excellent although a little bulky - TN30 mini). I use eneloops as my rechargeables, but Hobbyking sell some good AA's too.

If you want to go with 18650 li-ion batteries, you'll need a specific charger for them which generally aren't overly expensive. I have a Nitecore CU6 which has 5 levels of white plus red/green/blue and UV and runs from a single 18650 which is possibly my most used and versatile light - nitecore make a whole range of various versions of this style of light. If I was buying another one atm, I would look at the Nitecore EC4.

THE most used of all my lights are my headtorches - mine's a Spark SD6. Thrunite make a good one also.

Thrunite, Jetbeam, Olight, Nitecore, Sunwayman, Eagletac and quite a few others all manufacture top quality, brilliant lights that imho, far exceed the Maglite and LedLenser offerings you'll see in Aussie disposals.

Also checkout 'Going Gear' s youtube channel - they've done indepth reviews on most of the lights. Or the candlepower forum if you really want to blow your mind on all things led!
Old 19-05-2017, 11:58 AM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Wow, talk about falling down the rabbit hole. I have some reading to do... thanks, chaps.
Old 20-05-2017, 07:07 PM
sharpiel

Have a look at Fenix torches. I have one. 960 lumens max output. Bright enough for any purpose. Moon light lowest setting. Focussable. I'm about to buy another one. Can't recommend them higher.

I use mine multiple times every day.
Old 21-05-2017, 09:40 PM
acropolite (Phil)

+ 1 for the chinese torches, I have several, my favourites are the head torches with T6 LEDs, they also have bicycle versions.
Old 22-05-2017, 07:48 AM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

I have ended up with a Ledlenser P7.2 - nice and small, and very handy to slip into my pocket. I'll check out one of the Fenix torches with the USB charging dock for something larger - sounds like Bogong stock them in Melbourne.

Thanks all - very illuminating.
Old 23-05-2017, 09:15 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
+1 for the Chinese unbranded from ebay. I have bought a few over the years all under $10 with free postage. The best ones run of rechargeable LI-ION batteries, (3.7v 18650). These batteries and chargers are also much cheaper to buy online ($2 ea). There are plenty of these Chinese suppliers with warehouses in Australia if you look. Just don't go too cheap as the really cheap ones, under $5 can be a bit iffy.
+1 I have a bunch of UV and regular unknown chinse torches all using LiIon batteries, damn bright and overkill for my needs unless I want to take up semaphore to the ISS (theres a citizen science project idea!). But 99% of the time my light one I reviewed on this site is all i need (Klarus FL1A, was a little pricey, but not really considering how perfect I find it).
Old 23-05-2017, 12:56 PM
doppler (Rick)

I just can't understand why the big price difference between the Chinese torches and the brand names. They are just an aluminum tube with a switch at one end and an led at the other.
My $10 1600 lumens focusable beam / variable brightness torch has a heavy duty water proof case and has been dropped countless times, been left rolling around on the floor of my car, but still works flawlessly after 5 years and shows very little signs of wear.
Old 23-05-2017, 02:36 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Agree Rick. My LedLenser looks like its been to Afghanistan and back yet my much more used and abused unbranded chinese looks just about new.

My gunshop dealer friend despises LedLenser...he has to send so many away for warranty repair its frustrating. Touch wood none of mine after 3 years.

I like my Ledlensers but man they chew the batteries!