Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2017, 08:29 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Jupitering with the Dob

For a couple of hours last night the skies cleared so I grabbed the Dob did some observing. Before packing up to have that long awaited hot coffee I grabbed the camera and took a snap of one of our favourite celestial neighbours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter_Dob.jpg)
31.1 KB188 views
Old 05-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

I'll return the compliment by saying that's a nice take and the colours look great too. I've been trying to make sense of Winjupos to improve my detail but I'm finding if I capture less than 1min of video the rotation of the planet won't blur the final stack too much. I think Winjupos is more suitable for longer video captures. My shots have good detail but they are quite noisy due to the lower frame count and the DSLR.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:08 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Thanks Michael. WinJUPOS is a great little program, but I'm not sure if it can improve details. It does quite a few things, but what I find really useful is it's ability to de-rotate individual colour channels that are out of alignment due to planetary rotation. Having said this as good as a program it is there's only so much it can restore. I guess like anything digital if the data isn't there to begin with, then it's hard to create what's not there. At least that's how I see it.

You may be right about it being better suited to longer recordings. Unfortunately I haven't captured anything long enough to see for myself. Perhaps someone else who has a greater understanding of it can chime in. Either way it's definitely a handy tool to have in the toolkit. I hear you on the DSLR noise issue and their slower frame rates but considering this, I think that they still do a good job and your images show that. We're fortunate now to have so many choices with both DSLR and AP cameras that it makes me wonder how good they will be in 5-10 years from now.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:33 PM
samgibbs (Sam)

A Dob of Jupitering?

Could one rightly describe it as such?
Nice work and great results. I am curious to know if you have motorized your telescope or do you manage to do this with a gentle nudge.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:09 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgibbs View Post
Could one rightly describe it as such?
Nice work and great results. I am curious to know if you have motorized your telescope or do you manage to do this with a gentle nudge.
Haha I like what you did there and thanks. The Dob isn't motorised or modified in any way but I am considering building/buying a new base (not because the current one is poor or anything) to see if it can be improved for even better performance.