Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-04-2017, 10:09 AM
netwolf

Dubbo places to observe

Hi

Headding to Dubbo and wondering if someone can help with any good locations for observing the Milky Way. We plan on goinf to the Dubbo Observatory but I am not sure how dark it will be there close to the city. Wanted to drive and park maybe up to 30mins out of Dubbo just to see Milky Way Naked eye similar to what we see at Ilford Astro camp. Just need a safe spot of the road to park and view. Maybe a lookout point away from city light dome. May take my Etx 125 with me also.

Kind Regards
Fahim
Old 26-04-2017, 11:40 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

You could try Ponto Falls Reserve, though Google Maps says it's a 40 min drive. There is lots of open space up away from the river. I observed from there one night: dark, great northern horizon, plenty of campers but their lights didn't bother me (and they were in bed early). The only issue was that it is very open and the night I was there the wind nearly blew the car away .

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-32..../data=!3m1!1e3
Old 26-04-2017, 12:44 PM
astro744

There was a small observatory (C14 I think from memory) on top of the caves at Wellington, 30min, south of Dubbo, (I think it was run by the UNSW). There was also an animal park there, (this was all about 25-30 years ago). I'm sure the caves are still there but not so sure about the rest. The caves are not huge but very spectacular especially the main Cathedral cave.

North of Dubbo is off course Coonabarabran but its more of a drive going that way especially if you go to the motel half way between the town and the Siding Springs Observatory.
Old 26-04-2017, 07:27 PM
netwolf

Tahnks Gents. thats great. Ponto Falls sounds good, on searching in IIS I have seen it mentioned before also.
We are planing to explore the Caves on our Return Trip on Sunday will take a look if there is an observatory still there on top. On that note are the caves easy to mange for children and elderly? I have been to the Jenolan Caves many years ago and have been in the Cathedral and Temple of Bal caves. As I recall the Cathedral cave at Jenolan was ok, but a little tight for me at certain points (big guy as I am). But Bal had a long Staircase to climb back out.
Old 26-04-2017, 08:03 PM
astro744

From what I remember it's all underground and the above ground entrance is very unassuming and you would not think there was a cave system there at all. Yes there are steps; web site says 150 steps to the Cathedral cave which is the one I recommend as it is quite spectacular. When they turn to lights out there is absolute darkness.

See http://www.wellingtoncaves.com.au
Old 29-04-2017, 10:58 AM
netwolf

David thanks for directing to Ponto Falls got there at Midnight last night and my friends and i were blown away by the naked eye view there. better than imagined. Reminded me of Wiruna spsp views.
Old 29-04-2017, 04:22 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Glad it worked for you. Hope you rested up today for a big one tonight!
Old 29-04-2017, 05:08 PM
netwolf

Yes some of our group were to tired and want to return tonight. Maybe will try out the Dubbo observatory first, they are in green zone.
Old 29-04-2017, 05:28 PM
netwolf

i knew i would regret not bringing one of my scopes, but not enough room. are there any local astro groups.that meet up for new moon?