Old 03-06-2020, 09:59 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Pack up and down of imaging train

Hi guys,

When you are expecting to be out imaging a few nights in a row, do you disassemble everything each night?

I've been taking everything apart after each session, mainly thinking it will help things stay dry, but I'm aware that everytime I take my camera off my filter wheel that there's a chance of dust getting in, and I guess possible thread damage (though I'd like to think I'm not quite that ham-fisted). Up to now (as with my mount) I consider that I'm still bedding down the set up procedure, but I reckon I have it all locked in and should start doing whats best for longevity of gear.

I assume its a trade off, but wonder if there is an absolute consensus that I should just follow

Cheers,
JP
Old 03-06-2020, 10:23 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

If I am going to be imaging over a couple of nights I put an ensuite tent over the gear during the day with the vent flaps open to make sure any dew clears. Even when I do pack up I leave my camera and scope assembled so I don't introduce any new dust bunnies and need to shoot new flats.

When I am done I move the mount head from my pier to the original tripod in the garage and put the scope and camera back on it with a sheet over the lot to keep dust away.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:43 AM
jahnpahwa (JP)

far out, yeah, thats good to hear. I think maybe I've been packing away too much.

Time to claim some shed space for complete setups to live.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:38 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

My plan for the near future is a small and basic ROR shed over the pier so I can leave the equipment mounted more or less permanently. Leading to a much bigger obs when I can afford it.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:45 PM
DiscoDuck (Paul)
Raider Nation

I will leave out for 2 or 3 days under a Telegizmos 365 cover. Seems ok - though can get dewy and I may have to let it air during the day. Dessicant (loose in a couple of tubs) put under the cover with it doesn't seem to help too much.

Re packing down, I will always leave the camera + OAG + filterwheel etc assembled. So only got to attach it to the scope when setting up.