Old 16-06-2012, 07:28 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

M 104 First time

Hi all, my first post in the Ob's so here goes.
Took the dog for a walk at 4:00pm and was amazed to see the sky clearing!!! Could it be twice this week? In the faint hope that it would, I set up the 6" achro. With the 4" f5 piggy backed on top it acts as a counterweight to the main scope, and with a 2" 28mm ES 68 deg eyepiece gives nearly 3.8 deg FOV. The perfect LP super finderscope!

The list was short M104 and Saturn. Swung the scope on the EQ5 manual mount around to Corvus and fingers crossed with the setting circles set, on to M104. In the finder I could see the triangle of stars pointing to Stargate and then on to Jaws...now I see why it's called that nothing like I thought but beautiful. Over to the 4", a bit above Jaws is that a faint blob ...could it be??? Feeling a bit excited time to start the motor drive and put my favourite eyepiece in the 6" the one and only 10mm Pentax XW, and there it was Have waited quite a while to see this one and with no moon and plenty of LP I wasn't disappointed. Looked for a long time 30 mins or more practising averted vision could sometimes make out the dust lane?? (or did I imagine that I did) and the disk with central bulge was clear. My 15 year old son was thrilled to see something so far away millions of light years!! blew him away. So feeling that its all worth the effort, on to Saturn.

To the Southwest clouds started rolling in so a quick look is in order. Cassini division and 1 cloud band visible with ES 6.7mm. Not the best night as I could see Saturn going in and out of clarity. Before everything goes a quick look to Alpha Centauri. Last time I saw this was in 1979 and it's still beautiful the 2 stars magnificent let it drift off the edge of view in the ES 6.7 sharp all the way.

Clouds are now all over the place and decided to call it a night, nearly 3 hours of bliss. What would all this would look like at a dark sight?? High on the agenda is joining an astro society but which one?? Any thoughts greatfully recieved.
Heres hoping that Melbourne can make it 2 in a row tonight.
Cheers Matt
Old 30-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Matt
The Sombrero is just the best isn't it!
The core is so bright that it looks like a star in the eyepiece. This galaxy can handle magnification well (depending on the seeing). Try your ES 6.7mm on it next time. One night I saw it with my 7mm XW on during a moment of incredible seeing showing the dark dust lane so sharp and black.
It really is amazing how different a galaxy will look from one night to the other (depending on sky conditions)!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Suzy,
Yep haven't seen a galaxy for longer than I care to remember... seeing was a bit less than average that night and the ES 6.7 didn't cut it, but on other nights it's been a terrific eyepiece like it so much I have to buy the 4.7 8.8 and 11 ES 82's while they are on sale...such an absorbing hobby! absorbing funds, time, sleep...
Matt
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Hi Matt,

M104 is such a beauty, especially from a dark sky. As far as astro societies go, it's hard to find a friendlier bunch than Snake Valley, but it depends which side of Melbourne you're on. Mornington Peninsula AS would also be a very good option.
Old 17-07-2012, 07:58 PM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

Hey Matt! Great report, sounds like you had a blast! It's a great feeling once you see that small line of stars, you just know they are pointing straight to M104 and then, WOW! My first time seeing it on Sunday night, very exciting indeed As Suzy said, it will change from night to night. My experience was a really rubbish view in my 10mm eyepiece but as bright as a star with a thin fuzzy line through it in my 25mm.

Let's hope this weather clears up! Your excitement is infectious!